Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » If you could get Paramount to CGI a model... (Page 10)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: If you could get Paramount to CGI a model...
Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did anyone notice that the D looks like an aircraft carrier when you look at the neck of it from under the saucer?

But still it's my favorite ship. I don't like the Connie in ANY configuration or version. I think it always looked like a model and never like a believable starship. Sorry, that's just IMHO.

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Eek!]
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
aaaaahh!!

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you...no like connie...how...you... [Confused]
IP: Logged
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get a rope...

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The work of the artists depends not only on themselves, but their superiors as well, and then the studio politics. Let's not forget that Matt Jefferies first redesigned the Constitution, and that Andrew Probert had to work from that, whether it helped him or not. Jeri Taylor asked Rick Sternbach to make the Voyager curvy -- his final design would've been the pointy Voyager. Finally, we have the new Enterprise which could've looked different had it not been for the higherups who introduced the Akira into the picture.

Clearly, the test of any artist is how well he works under such limitations. However, here we also need to consider that different models were built under different limitations. The refit Constitution and the Enterprise-E were built on a movie budget, as opposed to the Ent-D which was made for a TV series (and even there, the six-footer which some people seem to prefer was built by ILM, primarily a movie effects company). Then there is also the different resolution of the television screen and the movie screen to consider -- the latter requires more detail and refinement.

Naturally, this doesn't change the fact that the movie ships tend to be better liked, especially since we see them so rarely, but all of these other factors have to be kept in mind when making these comparisons.

[ January 14, 2002: Message edited by: Phelps ]

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
.. and that TPTB informed Drexler he had to make the NX-01 look like the Akira because they wanted it too, even if it didnt make sense. (this was the subtext of Drexler's 'don't tell anyone i told you this letter' that was posted here

which is odd because now Drexlers is going back on that and saying that he based NX-01 on a twin body plane. meh.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Subtext? He outright said it!

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...with all the subtly of a female baboon in the mating season [Eek!]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the Connie's a good design...except for the neck which is just too thin to put anything in there except possibly the warp core, vertcal turboshafts and vertical Jeffries Tubes. But that's about it. I don't even understand why some people need to put decks in there, even though I still accept them.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What?! You mean. . . a female captain had to be in charge of a curvy, feminine ship rather that a pointy, sharp-edged masculine one? Jesus wept. If that's the kind of mindset they were under when they created the Voyager series, no wonder it sucked from on high for seven years.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If what, er, someone said about ILM not liking the Ent-D model is true, then they truelly are the hardest people in the world to please. They're notorious for bitching and complaining about the Enterprise-A model for 4 films, saying it was heavy, akward, and they could never find a good angle on it. Compared to the Excelsior and Galaxy, it's a piece of cake to make the Enterprise-A look good.

Someone else (sorry, I really can't be bothered looking) was right, it was well proportioned. It became the base proportion whill all subsequent ships tried to model (as, in some ways, we are more familiar with the A than the original. The A was an upgraded version, so it replaced the original, rather than suceeded it. Kind of). The Excelsior tried to look huge by having a massive body. The Galaxy tried to look huge by having a massive saucer. And both aren't too easy to film,although they improved leaps and bounds with Ent-D shots over the course of the series.

And on the two models debate, I do prefer the 4 footer, but I wonder if that's because it was simply shot and lit better? What was the CGI model based on? And how comes the 6 footer in that pic has had it's decals taken off, whereas the 4 footer still has them? In any case, shouldn't it have the Venture's decals on it?

[ January 14, 2002: Message edited by: PsyLiam ]

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
What?! You mean. . . a female captain had to be in charge of a curvy, feminine ship rather that a pointy, sharp-edged masculine one? Jesus wept. If that's the kind of mindset they were under when they created the Voyager series, no wonder it sucked from on high for seven years.

Is that why the nacelles went up too, to prove that Janeway could make at least something go rise?

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
...And on the two models debate, I do prefer the 4 footer, but I wonder if that's because it was simply shot and lit better? What was the CGI model based on? And how comes the 6 footer in that pic has had it's decals taken off, whereas the 4 footer still has them? In any case, shouldn't it have the Venture's decals on it?

[ January 14, 2002: Message edited by: PsyLiam ]

To my mind, the only ship to be as well preportioned as the refit conni has been the E-E, and that has mostly been because it borrowed heavily from the old ship.

I belive the CG Galaxy was based on the sleeker 6ft model, judging by the renders that have recently been featured in the fact files.

It depends on when the pictures were taken I suppose.
As I recall the Venture was actually the AGT Enterprise, (after they had stripped off all but 2 of the new pieces, I also keep hearing that it also retained the raised bridge section, but I just don't see it) which was originally the 4 footer I belive.

So to answer your question...what do you get if you cross an elephant and a rhino?

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps