Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » If you could get Paramount to CGI a model... (Page 6)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: If you could get Paramount to CGI a model...
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The circular things on the dorsal side of the Defiant have never been really identified... But they're not escape pods. Pods are launched in twos and threes from opening panels scattered around the ship. the round things are known to explode with lots of fire and stuff, and a really cool sound effect. I always thought they were some sort of plasma transfer thing, given how they were exploding with all the fire and stuff. I dunno - possibly the refeuling ports for Feuterium and antimatter?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the DS9TM Drexler has labeled those glowy circular things as the "plasma vents". Seems reasonable, I suppose. They're certainly not escape pods.

Now that everyone's talking about the new Defiant, this may be a good time for my nitpicks. Although the new CG model is stunning, there are inaccuracies when comparing to the original physical miniature.

1) Some of the panels are missing paining. That is, they have the hull base colour instead of additional colourisation. The most noteworthy location is those two panels (one each P/S) just fore of those cavities in the engineering area. The other is those thin strips leading outwards from the main sensor palettes.

2) The diameter of the dome on top of the bridge is too small. Both the First Contact and "Sacrifice of Angels" Defiants had the same problem.

3) Those raised blocks on top of the nacelles (they look like double sided ramps) are too thin/long. The shape's not quite right, anyway.

4) I've noticed there's some very small panels/grills missing but it's pretty insignificant.

5) The red centreline "decal" pin stripe should extend further aft.

That's it for the complaints. [Wink] I still can't get over how real this model looks. It's already easily the best CG Defiant. As a nitpicking Defiant fan, I'm happy. [Smile]

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always assumed they were cloak emmitters. They look just like the ones seen on Romulan ships. I forget where I saw them on the Rommie ships though, but I think it was my plastic model. ::shrugs::

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They can't be cloak emitters because all the Defiant-class ships have them, not just the USS Defiant itself.

You were right about something else though, OnToMars. One thing I forgot to mention in my last post is how the new CG Defiant lacks the lattice/grille on the back of the nacelles (where the actual blue glow comes from).

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't worry about structure or color details just yet. Remember that Mojo said it wasn't complete yet.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
where exzactly is the Defiant pic everyone was looking at?

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go back to page 4.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Mojo
Member # 536

- posted      Profile for Mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, as was pointed out, please remember I didn't build this model! Andrew Bradbury did, and I expect he will go on to monsterous sucess as a model builder. He's one of the best I know and I'm glad he's a big enough Trek fan to want to contribute to the book.

That's what this project is really all about - people who want to see this stuff done 'the right way' working together. I could never do it alone, and I'm thrilled to have found a handfull of dedicated, talented and enthusastic people who want to rally behind the cause!

The Defiant was mostly finished in that pic. The pink circles have been made blue and a few smaller details have been ironed out. Keep in mind, you'll never see it in that sort of flat, bright lighting, so in a normal shot it will look much better. It will debut in the 2003 Ships of the Line calendar, coming your way in July :-)

And hold on to your hats, 'cause Andrew is nearly done rebuilding the Galaxy Class model.

After that - drumroll please - I've asked him to do everyone's beloved New Orleans class.

Now keep your fingers crossed, because any day now we're going to get Paramount's comments on the outline. I need everyone to pray for me that their changes (if any) are minor!

Mojo

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooohh...a new Galaxy Class...hopefull not the Challenger but the Venture.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A New Orleans in that quality? Great god almighty! I think that will seem like a dream come true to many around here. Certainly me for one.

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mojo, do think Paramount will let you do some of the "background" ships? The one's we'll probably never see again on screen would great to see in detail in print. The Raven. Data's Scout. The Centaur.

Obviously, this is just my opinion, but I think that would be really cool [Smile]

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is an image of the aft of the Deffie - with the grills and the little 'impulse' vents...

Deffie Rear

Also - I have noticed in some episode the large grey masses mentioned in Dax's post - in the aft section on the top - the grill bit inside them have glowed red.

Seen here in its debut shot from "The Search Part 1" - where I think I read in the ST:DS9 compendium that the model guys/producers allowed the Deffie it's moment of glory with the use of the running lights/flood lights for its debut shot - they never used them again since it was too expensive to do the extra composite shots/passes just for those lights on the motion-control thingies - more money. SO I guess this is the 'full way' the Deffie is supposed to be lit? Here is the LINK

Also - it is included on Mojo's model - what are the 'strips' going lengthwise along the nose and then at the rear - I always assumed they were some type of phaser strip... see here

Also, who - apart from being the model builder is Andrew Bradbury? Any relation to Ray!?! ;o)

Andrew

P.S. Mojo, any chance of the Cheyenne!?! The problem is we've never seen the undercarridge - only the top part of the model - and never really the back either... many have speculated.

Andrew

"If you want him, come and claim him!"

[ January 10, 2002: Message edited by: AndrewR ]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

Yep, the dome on top of the bridge was initially conceived as a beacon but it was later shown to be a beam phaser emitter ("Paradise Lost" and "Shattered Mirror").

I don't really know what those strips are but there are some facts on them:

In the episode the screen cap is from ("One Little Ship") the strip on the nose is the origin point for the tractor beam that holds the Runabout. I don't like it but that's the way it happened.

Now, according to the MSD, the warp core is located smack bang in the centre of the aft strip. It may be a coincidence or Drexler could have intended it that way for an as yet undisclosed reason.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

Andrew, fix your link on the aft image of the Deffie.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mojo, I'm usually very nitpicky, and I've talked to at least ten people that have been involved with the production of Star Trek. Given that I pointed out the faults of the old Defiant model a few times, I have to thank you now. I haven't seen anyone more concerned with technical accuracy and fan input. You're in good company with Mike Okuda and Andrew Probert.

The picture of the new Defiant reminds me of photographs of plastic models put together, which says something about the realism. I'd change the lighting, though. I notice more detail and a few modified elements -- Brian Fisher, who did the model for "Sacrifice of Angels", was the first to raise some panels here and there, give the ship some three-dimensionality. Some of those details, such as the stepped bridge module and the seemingly lower width remind me of that "Sacrifice of Angels" model -- overall, however, the ship is much closer to the studio model than the one you've used so far.

Although this Defiant feels a bit like a "reimagining" (to use Tim Burton's expression) with more detail, artistically, it's good that it adopts some of the design elements from the "Sacrifice of Angels" model. After all, the Defiant has always been the work of many people, and it's only proper that some elements from Fisher's model should be included.

I'll note that the impulse engine red lights are not always on -- sometimes they're just dark holes even when the ship is flying. I ascribe this to the secondary impulse system in the tail of the ship, or perhaps the maneuvering thrusters. Dax may correct me, but I believe we haven't seen precisely where the beam phaser originated in "Paradise Lost" and "Shattered Mirror" -- it came from the bridge area, but not necessarily from the circular hole as far as I could tell.

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps