Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » If you could get Paramount to CGI a model... (Page 8)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: If you could get Paramount to CGI a model...
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the different proportions are what makes me notice the difference..

i was real lucky, tonight i got to chill at my dads and watch cable so i saw some TNG on TNN.. i watched 'Conspiracy' and then 'Ensign Ro'.. the change is very noticeable, although even as late as 5th season they were still using gobs of stock footage of the old model. The main things i notice are the 1) deflector dish.. the old one seems lighter around the edges, while the new one is more shadowed. i wonder if that makes me interpret them as differently shaped or if they are additionally actually shaped differently. 2) the saucer, specifically the underside always looks so incredibly smooth on the old model. i only saw a couple of shots where the light caught the fact that there was painted on paneling. That's why it was necessary to exaggerate the panels, even though they arent truly to scale to the depth they were on the model. it was artistic license necessary for filming.

ok i sleep now

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Mojo
Member # 536

- posted      Profile for Mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got a couple of pictures of both models of the D that show the dramatic difference.

If someone can poke Dax for me, I can send them to him and he can post them for all to see!

Mojo

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mojo: just one note. There is a difference between doing something right artistically and doing something right canonically. On these forums, we've tended not to modify what we've seen onscreen just because it looks better, is more realistic, because Gene Roddenberry intended it etc. It would be great to see this approach of yours in calendars and artwork, but I believe that technical publications such as the Starship Spotter warrant an approach that follows what we've seen onscreen more closely.

[ January 12, 2002: Message edited by: Phelps ]

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i totally agree with that, Phelps. canon is canon, and canon is what is on the screen. things like starship spotter definitely need to show the "real thing".

--jacob

IP: Logged
Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Phelps too.

BTW, Mojo, I'm poked. [Smile]

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
i'm poked
good night, everybody!!

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Mojo
Member # 536

- posted      Profile for Mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In something like Starship Spotter, I agree 100% - the ships should be exactly as we've seen them onscreen.

In the calanedars and Unseen Frontier, however, which is far more of a creative endeavor, I feel justifyed in excersizing a bit more 'artistic latitude.'

I mean, it *is* supposed to be my vision of Star Trek, just as other authors who write novels lend their interpretation. My book just happens to have pictures.

That being said, I'm going to great legnths to keep things as canon-conscious as possible. In fact, most of my 'modifications' to canon will be in areas they WANTED to go, but simply didn't have the time or money to explore.

Kind of like what we did with the Motion Picture DVD!

Mojo

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Either way the pictures should look good.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And be nice and big too!
Without any of that double page spread malarkie [Smile]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Mojo
Member # 536

There are going to be a LOT of double page spreads... however, I'm going to be designing them with the fold in mind, if that's what is concerning you....

Mojo

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A question on the new Ent-D CGI: can it separate?
Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW, any chance you could do a B5 calendar or something also? I'd really like to see, in greater detail and from different views, the CGI interior of the Garden.
Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Courtesy of Mojo, "Here are 2 pics that show the dramatic differences between the 2 D models". I believe the top half is the 6' model and the bottom is the 4 footer.

Like the Defiant CGI, this picture is for our eyes only - please no spreading around! Thank you.

Once again, we thankyou for your contributions and trust, Mojo.

BTW, by Mojo's request I have now taken down the Defiant pic.

[ January 13, 2002: Message edited by: Dax ]

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mojo:
There are going to be a LOT of double page spreads... however, I'm going to be designing them with the fold in mind, if that's what is concerning you....

Mojo

Yeah, that’s my little gripe. Its a shame when such great images recede into spinal oblivion.

Any idea yet as to how big the book will be?

Oh and the chunkier Galaxy definatly looks alot more realistic. The sleek one just looks like a plastic model....strange that.

[ January 13, 2002: Message edited by: Reverend ]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just in terms of proportion, the 4 footer looks a lot better, IMO. i was watching some early TNG episodes that i downloaded off of kazaa yesterday, and because of this thread i really paid attention to the shape of the ship. i really noticed how skinny the secondary hull was and how much rounder the warp pylons were compared to later episodes. very cool.

--jacob

IP: Logged
  This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps