Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Good news about the DS9 Tech Manual ships! (Page 9)

This topic comprises 28 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  26  27  28   
Author Topic: Good news about the DS9 Tech Manual ships!
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Still recovering from the wonderful but somewhat jarring inner-clique back-pat I just received...)

The first five pics show varying color schemes. Yellow is predominant in place of standard bluish-white as the hull color, probably mostly due to the lighting. But each model is also amply decorated with bright red and blue paint, roughly where Drexler's drawings put it. The Constitution-variant has smart red lines in various places (Drexler doesn't show this), and doesn't look as awful as I feared at first - it is simply very shoddily glued together, and should be assumed to have suffered some sort of a hull-melting proximity blast. [Smile]

Interestingly, the tilted nacelles of the Raging Queen (no "the" in front of the name on the hull) have been painted blue on the outer (formerly top) sides, making it look very much as if this is the "warp grille". The standard Constitution-nacelle warp grilles have in turn been painted over with bright yellow. One could even pretend that this is a wholly new nacelle type, and not just a mis-scaled and misaligned Constitution nacelle. I could even learn to like the design.

The Elkins is butt-ugly. Some Starfleet arrowhead symbols and red lines have been painted on the A-wing, which is missing the cockpit canopy and the fins. The color scene is complex and has lots of blue and red highlights; the finish is shoddy.

This thing about "Curry vs. RQ" and "Centaur vs. Genesis" is really interesting. In the few side views we have of the Centaur, the top of the ship appears very, very flat. Could the shuttlebay and "bridge" have been removed for shooting? And the Curry-as-filmed seems to have received completely new nacelles, instead of just having the originals re-mounted - otherwise, the special color job would be more evident.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the pics. I think I could learn to like the "Medusa" and the Yeager a lot, and sorta tolerate the Constitution-mod and the Raging Queen...

Timo Saloniemi

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ship we see in "A Time to Stand" (Curry?) is clearly essentially the same as the Raging Queen, as the bttle damage reveals. It seems they have used the Miranda nacelle pylons with nacelles for the filming, whereas the Raging Queen has unknown, flimsy pylons.
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You lucky elitist bastards [Wink]

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, when are we going to be able to see these pics again? And could someone post a snippit of the TechManual pic and the 'names' you people have and are now given them. I'm getting a bit... overwhelmed here. (Possibly cause I didn't look very long at those ugly kitbashes - cause they were hideous).

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm just trying to correct the Curry schematic with the new information. When I tried to figure out the correct size of the upright nacelles, I couldn't match the screencap with Drexler's photo. I have the impression that, after all, the nacelles on the Curry are smaller (I compared their height to the secondary hull and their length to the saucer). This may actually have been the reason to modify the model for the shooting (for it looked silly with the huge nacelles). Do any of you know the scale or size of the Enterprise(-A) in the 3 Enterprises kit? I suspect that this is where the Curry nacelles were taken from.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

Forget my question about the 3-Enterprises kit. If they are in scale, it would be 1/2500... But is there a resin kit of about 1/1000?

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW.. ask Drexler if he approves of the class names chosen by fandom.. 'Shelley' and 'Medusa', etc... If he gives those his OK, maybe we can find ourselves at least contributing a little bit to canon. :-)

Oh.. and tell him he's welcome here anytime.

onto the ships:

U.S.S. Elkins: The Intrepid/Constitution variant. How far off have we decided the scaling of the nacelles is? Perhaps a creatively tweaked diagram would make this ship seem more likely. As to the registries, 74121 or 74101, I hope that resizing the files didnt lose data that would be crucial in enhancing the photos.

U.S.S. Centaur: I wanna see this shuttlebay. And the alternate name if we can enhance it.

U.S.S. *ahem* Raging Queen, Shelley-class variant: Are we writing off the lack of a U.S.S. on the hull as it not being in Starfleet? Perhaps some sort of Federation militia vessel? might help explain the.. creative.. name. So we have two variants.. the modification we refer to as the Curry was actually seen on screen and then there is the rotated nacelle alternate pylon arrange labeled Raging Queen. As diagrams go, taking the TM ship and applying the color scheme will make the off-scaled nacelles look better (id be willing to accept them this time around, if they were presented as non-Const. nacelles). Perhaps they relabeled the ship when it was slated for a closeup, as to avoid offending any Raging Queens in the audience.

Medusa-class: Excelsior-variant. I'm not sure where to start on this one.. couldnt a connie nacelle pylon be modified to go straight by removing the curved bottom? Whether the connie pylons or the exxie pylons are double, either way it looks better upside down from the diagram we have now

Constitution-variant: Yeah, lets see how far apart the nacelles lie.

U.S.S. Yeager: I'm perfectly willing to accept the FC Yeager was destroyed and a new Yeager was built.. and since im a Prometheus 5xxxx registry proponent, I'm fine with the 6xxxx registry, natch (what was the FC Yeager's reg anywho.. does this predate it or is it just close to it.. i forget if thats the one that was mistakenly listed as 8xxxx or what we decided)..

OK.. until i see anything, I at least have a couple of names for the Galactopedia. oh, BTW, the Galactopedia can now be found at http://galactopedia.captainmike.org .. buying a domain is the best toy a kid can get for himself.

[ March 09, 2002, 08:33: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/temp/excelsior-variant1-big.jpg
Is it this what we see in "A Time to Stand"?

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Bernd. Also, there is no 1/100 resin kit, but there IS a 1/1400 one by Starcrafts (1/1400 being the "scale of choice" amongst most modelers because they like big & have a lot of space. Not I, though--1/2500 forevah!)

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We had this a couple of days ago; the Centaur appeared a second time. Maybe they renamed the ship for that appearance, but left the Registry. Just like the Valkyrie.

And again, where's the problem is assuming the ship seen in the far background in 'A Time to Stand' was not 'equipped' with the same damage as her foreground-pendant, the Curry? They just renamed the ship. And it must be Curry because that's a 'common' name. What if the episode is released as a DVD? Or someone gets a really clear view of that scene? They'll read the stupid name. Do you rally think they would want that?

Good that Mim already asked; I would also like to know who came up with the information that the ship was named USS Curry.

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
BTW.. ask Drexler if he approves of the class names chosen by fandom.. 'Shelley' and 'Medusa', etc... If he gives those his OK, maybe we can find ourselves at least contributing a little bit to canon. :-)

Actually, Fandom has already established the 3-naceller as the Chimera-class, and also would suggest that the Excel/Connie is Curry-class.

The Chimera designation appeals to me. What do you guys think?

-MMoM [Big Grin]

P.S.

So I take it from Bernd's site that NCC-42284 and NCC-74121 have been verified as the correct numbers?

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

quote:
So I take it from Bernd's site that NCC-42284 and NCC-74121 have been verified as the correct numbers?
I have been looking closely at the registries, and these seemed most likely.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've only heard it suggested that the Chimera name be given to the Centaur. I've always heard "Medusa" applied to the three-naceller.

And regarding that three-naceller... My understanding, from what Dukhat described, is that the DS9TM picture is upside-down. The Excelsior pylons are on top and hold two nacelles, just like they normally would. The Constitution pylon is actually two pylons, connected to the bottom edges of the saucer and angling down and inward until they come together to hold a single nacelle.

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

quote:
Actually, Fandom has already established the 3-naceller as the Chimera-class, and also would suggest that the Excel/Connie is Curry-class.
Actually, Fandom (at least the group I'm a proud member of, and this is all that counts) is developing original designs for these ship classes. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to Steve Pugh's site, the LUG RPG supplement Ship Recognition Manual, Volume 1: The Ships of Starfleet calls the 3-naceller the Chimera. Here's the link:

http://steve.pugh.net/fleet/twenty_fourth2.html#chimera

-MMoM [Big Grin]

[ March 09, 2002, 14:24: Message edited by: The Mighty Monkey of Mim ]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

This topic comprises 28 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  26  27  28   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps