Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » It's Da Equinox! ($$) (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: It's Da Equinox! ($$)
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, seeing how Equinox is a science ship, she probably has some damned good sensors. She was most likely sent to search the Badlands after Voyager was lost. My guess is that the Caretajer doesn't just pluck ships, he just leaves big wormholes in space to swallow up anyone who wonders by. The Equinox probably fell in too

------------------
"The one, the only, THE 359!"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As much as I like to be contrary, I don't have a problem with this ship resembling our plucky little, never really built, Defiant pre-design.

At any rate, the ship had to be grabbed before Voyager, because there wouldn't be any Caretaker to grab it after. It didn't make permenant spatial phenomena.

The loss of the Equinox doesn't seem like that big of a deal, anyway. Starfleet knew the Badlands were dangerous because they had lost ships there before. Enter Equinox. Though I do agree that someone should have said something to Sisko onscreen. But I'm sure he knew about it offscreen.

------------------
"You can't catch me where I'm gonna fall. You can't catch me where I'll hide. This world's too cold, this Nova rolls. I'm moving to the sun."
--
They Might Be Giants

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't like it. I don't mean the design (not that I like that, either), but rather the fact that they used the Defiant pathfinder. If the pathfinder had been that good, they would have built it instead of the Defiant. However, they apparently improved on the design (creating the Defiant), and then said "Ah, let's go ahead and build this old, un-improved design, as well." IMO, that's dumb.

------------------
"Sew, very old one! Sew like the wind!"
-Martin Short, The Three Amigos

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the DS9 TM may have been inaccurate with regards to the Pathfinder, or maybe the Pathfinder was just a modified Nova.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"If it's not fun, it's not Macintosh." - Adam Engst

Trinculo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Several points I would like to make-
1. The USS Equinox came before the USS Voyager. I believe the correct date of the USS Equinox's transportation to the DQ could be as early as 2367. My reasoning-in a second season episode of Voyager, Tuvix said that there was no record of a missing Federation ship. (I believe the episode is where Seska sent a fake transmission with a Starfleet signature. Signature was similar to Starfleet codes that were sent about a month before the USS Voyager was lost.) From the process regarding the USS Voyager's case, Starfleet takes about three to four years to confirm that a starship has gone missing and that there is no hope of recovering said vessel. Translation-all ships were accounted for. The USS Equinox was viewed destroyed or permanently lost by Starfleet.
2. The Caretaker died in the pilot and his station destroyed. BTW, he may have been curious about the crew of the USS Equinox and humans in general. In 2367 or 2368, there was no need for him to analyze the crew's DNA in great detail as he did with the USS Voyager and Chakotay's ship.
3. Neelix had no knowledge of another Federation ship. We know from his history that he had recently settled in the graveyard in 2371.
4. The USS Equinox had about eight years to get where she is currently present. Look how far the USS Voyager has gotten in five years.

IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TSN: I still don't see a problem.

Say Team A is working on the Defiant project. They come up with a design, the pathfinder version, but later discard it in favor of the Defiant as we know it. Along comes Team B. I doubt the work of Team A just vanished into thin air. Team B sees the pathfinder, says "Gee, with some modification, that design would work really well with our design brief for a new science vessel. Let's run with it."

------------------
"You can't catch me where I'm gonna fall. You can't catch me where I'll hide. This world's too cold, this Nova rolls. I'm moving to the sun."
--
They Might Be Giants

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, my impression was that the pathfinder was simply a very early version of the Defiant which was simply modified beyond recognition beofre being approved. Correct me if I'm wrong...

------------------
"There's always a bigger fish..."
-Qui-Gon Jinn, Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see it much the same way that Sol does.
There's no reason to scrap a perfectly good body idea simply because you've found a more appropriate place for the innards...

------------------
You're just JEALOUS because the little voices talk to ME!

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

I'm going to go ahead and quote directly from the tech. manual. Probably do us all some good to see what exactly we're dealing with.

"The Defiant project, overseen by Admiral Batelle Toh of the ASDB, began with the selection of an existing spacecraft design that had just entered the initial systems-level review stage. No spaceframe had yet been constructed, and the hull shape was undergoing warp field interaction simulations."

So we've got an existing design, being simulated but not yet built.

"When the Borg threat drove the redesign of the pathfinder vessel, it was decided to compact the planform with warp nacelles and other structures..."

The pathfinder wasn't redesigned because of a flaw in the design, but because it wasn't suited for combat against the Borg. The original design could have gone back into the design pool, to be grabbed by those working on the Nova project.

------------------
--
They Might Be Giants

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the Equinox, because it's a credible design.

BTW: Any official mention of the class name "Nova" so far?

Pedro
Ex-Member

Well said, Sol. Besides, we all know that what really matters is that the ship looks good, which it does in this case. I'd rather look at an unrealistic swan than a super-real cardboard box, if you get my drift.
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who says that "cardboard boxes" or "wood chunks" are the only possible realistic look for a starship?

------------------
"No, thanks. I've had enough. One more cup and I'll jump to warp." (Janeway, asked if she would like some coffee in "Once upon a Time")
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

Pedro
Ex-Member

Nobody, it's kind of a joke....all I'm trying to say is that (in my mind at least), asthetic design is much more important than technical continuity.
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

I'm relieved you don't take it so seriously. It sounded a bit like a "Star Destroyers are the ultimate design" argument.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Sol: Ah. Well, then... Never mind... :-)

------------------
"There's always a bigger fish..."
-Qui-Gon Jinn, Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps