Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » U.S.S. Centaur (Page 5)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: U.S.S. Centaur
EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i don;t understand why they didn't just make a "real" ship for the USS Centaur. it was promeninently displayed onscreen, and at least warranted a new CGI image with parts that all make sense. hell, i would have preferred a TOS style blob of light to what they came up with.

p.s. i think that a larger ship makes more sense structurally, but it didn't seem all that big on screen.

IP: Logged
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the idea of the Centaur being refined to look like a real Excelsior-derived class. And to pick up Boris' argument, that's what I think we have seen on screen.

If we pay attention to details, however, the most important one is the nacelle pylons. If the whole ship were Miranda-sized (even smaller), then the rollbar would suddenly become a warp pylon. If it has to be something different anyway technically, I see no reason why we should insist on the visual similarity.

The many windows on top of the saucer, on the other hand, don't necessarily mean that each row (or ring) represents one deck. The Galaxy class, IIRC, has two decks with two window rings. These windows are all in the ceiling of the deck. But they would suit a 400m ship much better than one of 200m.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why they didn't design and build a CGI model? Possible reasons:

1) Gary Hutzel prefers model-work
2) Any CG model they built in VisionArt's software would have to be discarded or rebuilt in LightWave for later episodes, which is when the primary CGI vendor changed from VisionArt to Digital Muse.
3) Not even in Voyager did they design and build a ship-of-the-week, CG or otherwise, unless the entire episode was built around it, i.e. the Prometheus, the Equinox, the Raven, etc. The only ships VisionArt had in CGI, IIRC, were the Galaxy, Akira, Steamrunner, Sabre, and the Defiant. Had Stipes done the show, we might have seen one of these instead.

I'd like to see the comparisons next to the attack ship, but let's keep in mind that its size varies considerably. The last VFX figure they used was 152 meters, whereas onscreen dialogue supports a size of roughly 100m. In any event, VFX evidence is a poor indicator of scale.

Boris

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like that 2-deck idea, and I like the schematic!

Acually - it could be a mini shuttle bay?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, newbie here. [Smile]

I wouldn't be surprised if this is one of the CGI models Mojo is using in the Unseen Frontiers book.

From http://www.psiphi.org/cgi/upc-db/X000000099.html

"In other news, I have people now working on models of the Sphinx workpod (which Mr. Probert was kind enough to send me full color sketches of) and the Centaur-Class ship." -- January 15, 2002 Adam "Mojo" Lebowitz

"Actually, you'll get to see the Sphinx model ahead of time in an upcoming Star Trek Magazine, but in the book you'll get to see it in action--most likely cleaning up some wreckage at Wolf 359."

I don't know whether the issue with the Shpinx has come out yet or not, but it's in an upcoming issue of the Fact Files. Looks like they decided to use the Centaur in the magazine instead of waiting even longer for the book to come out.

There are a couple of other interesting articles there, don't know whether any of you would have seen them.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It dose indeed look like Mojo's evil doings.

-

Hopefully we'll soon get to see the hopper that Probert designed.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but Mojo's book has been indefinitely shelved... [Frown]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which is probably why his work is popping up in other places. Me may yet see Unseen Frontiers, if a little diluted and spread across several different publications.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope we get to see all those Wolf 359 pictures he mentions. [Frown]

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Not even in Voyager did they design and build a ship-of-the-week, CG or otherwise, unless the entire episode was built around it, i.e. the Prometheus, the Equinox, the Raven, etc.
Surely this isn't quite true, though? What I mean is, we saw lots and lots of alien ships of the week on Voyager, most, if not all, CGI of some sort. So many that, when the show resorted to modifying some previous model instead, people around here were a bit put out, probably more so than was really necessary. (The reworked Breen ships in "Workforce", for example.)

Maybe I'm just not sure what you mean by "entire episode built around it." But I can think of lots of ships that were, admittedly, more than just brief background ships, but far from the focus of the episode.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
youre a newbie that isnt the old Dr. Phlox? we remember from way back in the day 10 months ago when i was a kid here (oh, im so old!)

now that you mention it, besides the 'hero ships' of the runabout and the Defiant, I don't think that DS9 ever gave us ANY new Starfleet designs, with the exception of the Centaur and the Curry (not counting the other bashes that are only visible in our screencaps, DS9 TMs and of course, visible in our ship-boner sporting hearts and souls..)

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, we did get two shuttles out of it.

But that's my point, re: Voyager. Compared to DS9 and TNG it was an embarassment of ship designs. (Though mostly alien.)

Hey, we should count all the visible Federation ship designs each series came up with! Hooray! Uh, foreground only. So no Wolf 359 wreckage.
And no movies.

TOS: Constitution, shuttle, Aurora

TNG: Galaxy, shuttlepod, shuttles type 6 and 7, Constellation, Ambassador, Sydney, Nebula

DS9: runabout, Defiant, shuttlepod, fancy shuttle, maybe the "Yeager," though it was in the background, but it was in the background often

VOY: Intrepid, speedboat shuttle, Voyagerized type 6 shuttle, Prometheus, Nova, Aeon, Relativity, "Endgame" shuttle

Those are all that I can remember. Any I've forgotten? Oh, the various Maquis ships. I'm not sure how you would categorize those.

Oh, let's do movies too, I'm in no hurry to go to bed, and while this post is incredibly useless now, I...

TMP: New Constitution, if you want to look at it that way, travel pod, Vulcan shuttle

TWoK: Miranda

TSfS: Excelsior, Oberth, maybe those dock shuttles?

TVH: that "executive" shuttle, I think

TFF: shuttle

TUC: None?

GEN: The new Excelsior, if you want to count it, Whorfin

FC: Sovereign, Akira, Norway, Steamrunner, Saber(re)

INS: scout, yacht, shuttle

As you can see...well, nevermind, there's not much here. Uh, Voyager had as many new UFP ships as TNG. And more alien ones, I think, but I have no list for that.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Don't forget the holoship! So I've probably forgotten several others.
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DS9 also had the Starfleet fighter. And TNG started the whole Batris/Xhosa/Norkova/Antares mess. And it also had Rasmussen's timepod thing.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

The fighters falls under "various Maquis ships" because of all the Peregrine madness. Plus, it had appeared in TNG, no? Or no?

And the Batris wasn't a Federation ship, and you'll note I'm not including simple resuses of a model. And yet I included the Sydney! But I think the Sydney is way, way different from the shuttle, and thus worthy of inclusion. Also, it is two in the morning. What do you people want from me? Blood? Turnips? Curry?

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps