Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » U.S.S. Centaur (Page 8)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: U.S.S. Centaur
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The moderator could easily move any stray posts into a new thread."

False.

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
False why? Isn't being concrete and specific a virtue in writing? I'm seeing some hesistant, non-committant language and hardly a definite assertion [Smile]

In either event, anyone can easily start a new thread by quoting the stray post and saying, "Continue here." That would free up the moderators, but it wouldn't be as polite. In the newsgroup system, such posts are simply ignored and threads continued by replying to the last on-topic post.

Boris

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's false because individual posts cannot be moved.
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Naturally, the moderator could encourage the starting of new topics, or do it himself, each time he feels there's a divergence in the original thread. And if need be, copy the relevant passages of the divergence-point reply to the first message in the new thread.

You wanna me to do that from now on?

Fat chan^H^H^H^H

I mean, yeah, can do. Just not 24/7. And I won't lock the original threads just for diverging.

There's a certain perverse attraction to threads that go on for ten pages or more. It's actually rather rarely that they go on in circles, unless there's a great, brief influx of newbies into the group. Usually, they just branch out. But if we want to keep this strictly business, let's go for the "begin new very specific thread" policy. We *are* obsessive-compulsive about treating the fiction of Trek on a factual basis, after all. Being businesslike about it, too, is then just natural.

Timo Saloniemi

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I don't want you to do anything that would affect your more important business. That would be nuts. Ideally, everybody should create his/her own thread, rather than post off-topic. If, for whatever reason, the new topic continues in a longer thread, then maybe someone could politely open a new thread, saying "Here, I copied the last couple of posts from the original thread, let's continue here, shall we?"

As for being or not being business-like: let's be sure, this is a hobby. I have more important things to do. However, I don't like seeing criticisms of other people when there are a lot of other things that can be criticized likewise, and I'd like to point these out.

Boris

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so let's dedicate this one solely to discussing the FF and ST:Mag data on the Centaur from now on. Everybody in agreement, just shut up and keep discussing. Anybody in disagreement, go away mad. (insert emoticon of choice here)

Just to be sure:

When do these articles come out in the respective publications? Is FF 298 already available? When can we expect quotes and scans, instead of just teasers?

Timo Saloniemi

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The FF issue with the Centaur will be out in over a month, the one with the Sphinx Workpod is out next Tuesday.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ST:TM issue with the Centaur is the November issue, which should be out be the end of the month, I believe. I'll see about grabbing a copy of it when I see it and do some scans.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Topher:
The ST:TM issue with the Centaur is the November issue, which should be out be the end of the month, I believe. I'll see about grabbing a copy of it when I see it and do some scans.

On sale September 3rd. I plan to buy it right off and make some scans. I'm lucky in that I've got a Borders bookstore about 3 blocks from my house that consistently carries the Mag, so I needn't shell out for a subscription. I can just go over, flip through and see if there's anything of interest, and buy only the ones I want.

Don't know why I told you all of this. Maybe it's just 'cause it makes me feel special... [Roll Eyes]

-FtK  -

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can do the same at a Coles store, on my way to work. [Smile]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Topher:
I can do the same at a Coles store, on my way to work. [Smile]

Good times! [Smile]
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just looked at the ST: Magazine with the Centaur pics... it has the side view, top and bottom views... all in CGI. The area that looks like a foward shuttlebay is more like a solid copper hull. Nice work though but the article with the pics mention phaser banks which I never saw.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn those gay people! Getting everything before everyone else! Affirmative action bullshit.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Affirmative action my ass!!! California banned that a few years ago. Besides, it's not my fault that the magazine is put on the shelves here in the Los Angeles area before anywhere else. Too bad my scanner doesn't work though, the ship somewhat looks like the NX... in a more continuity sort of way.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When we get those Centaur scans in, how about starting up a new thread about it specifically? This one's getting too off-topic in spirit. Once the scans are in, I'll see what I can do about getting Mojo to post about it. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps