Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » U.S.S. Centaur (Page 6)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: U.S.S. Centaur
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't that a civilian design?

Sol: DS9, that awful Excelsior-kitbash towing some ship after the Feder�les get their asses handed to them.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The DS9 tug? still think it was supposed to be Klingon, regardless of Fact Files.. looked a lot like a green ship with red lights on screen.

So for DS9's forefront ship designs, we have the Danube, Defiant, Yeager (I forgot!), Curry, and Centaur.

Should we count the Miranda variant? or the *snicker* Nash as a Sydney variant with carpeted ceilings? (I know there is no 'up' in space, but im trying to imagine walking through that airlock if they docked upside down.. actually i'd much rather believe the Nash was a standard Sydney that docked upside down for some unexplained but very good reason)

The fighter came in TNG first ('Preemptive Strike' [i believe..]), then came all over DS9's battle scenes. So its DS9's sloppy seconds on that one too.

And then for blobby background ships we have the Elkins, Constant (the 'frying pan' Connie) and Medusa.

and i dont believe any of the Batris reuses or Antares references were ever used as a Starfleet ship, except for the Hermes on the Okudagrams. And that itself has had its own thread.

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That'd be the can opener. [Wink]

quote:
Originally posted by Captain... Mike:
youre a newbie that isnt the old Dr. Phlox? we remember from way back in the day 10 months ago when i was a kid here (oh, im so old!)

LOL, I don't know who this other guy is, I hope I didn't take someone else's expired name, but I use this at all the other places I post at. I'd never posted here until Friday. [Smile]

Lemme have a go at this.

TOS: Constitution, shuttle, Aurora

TNG: Galaxy, Type 15 Shuttlepod, shuttles Type 6 and 7, Constellation, Ambassador, Sydney, Nebula, Glaxy Refit(AGT), Olympic, Peregrine, Federation couriers the Maquis use(2 sizes), Soyuz? The Miranda Class Variations. And the Apollo if you think it counts. Academy trainer craft. Mars defence pods.

DS9: runabout, Defiant, Type 18 shuttlepod, Type 10 shuttle, can opener, surely the Curry was seen close up enough? Dark necked Galaxy and the Venture variant.

VOY: Intrepid, Type 9/12 shuttle, Type 8 shuttle, Prometheus, Nova, Nova Variant, Aeon, Relativity, "Endgame" shuttle. Warship Voyager?

TMP: New Constitution, travel pod, Workbees(different types), Vulcan shuttle, Airtram.

TWoK: Miranda Class.

TSfS: Excelsior, Oberth, Orbital Shuttles.

TVH: Executive shuttle.

TFF: Shuttle.

TUC: None?

GEN: Excelsior Variant, Whorfin, can the Hawking count? Pleeeeeaaase?

FC: Sovereign, Akira, Norway, Steamrunner, Sabre.

INS: Scoutship, Yacht, Type 11 Shuttle.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
GEN: Excelsior Variant, Whorfin, can the Hawking count? Pleeeeeaaase?
no. absolutely not.
IP: Logged
Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sol -- we did see a lot of seemingly unimportant but still brand-new *alien* ships-of-the-week, true. Again, there are several reasons -- the first one is obvious, the others are probable:

a) A new alien race requires a new ship -- however cheap -- whereas a new Starfleet officer can have most of the existing classes, unless the ship plays a major role in the episode (i.e. the Equinox) or the story requires a new class (i.e. Prometheus). Kitbashing is actually an easy way to be creative in Centaur-type appearances, when you can't logically argue with the producers against using one of the many existing classes, and I like the fact that the VFX people chose not to simply use an Excelsior or a Miranda.

b) Alien ships are so much easier to design than a Starfleet ship-of-the-week. They often have no windows, transporter emitters, phaser arrays/phaser emitters, core dump hatches, and a host of other details that cannot be omitted on such a ship simply because the result would be inconsistent with Voyager and the Ent-D. Furthermore, one alien ship's equipment need not be consistent with that of another alien. For comparison, the only person who could've detailed a 24th century ship well became Rick Sternbach, who practically stopped working for DS9 once Voyager started. Even John Eaves' Enterprise-E had to be detailed by him. DS9's Defiant and the Maquis raider, while Starfleet designs likewise, were both specifically excused in terms of appearance -- neither are regular Starfleet ships, and neither were detailed by Rick Sternbach.

c) DS9's VFX infrastructure was created in the beginning as that of a model-show, whereas Voyager's was that of a CGI-show from the start. Switching in mid-series is difficult for budgetary reasons, and it wasn't until season 7 that DS9 was almost entirely CGI. Voyager had been CGI for a long time before that, which made it easier to create new models than modify existing ones.

d) Even if John Eaves (DS9's Rick Sternbach from Season 4 onwards) were to design a new Starfleet ship, it would look too much like the Enterprise-E and might hurt the movie franchise.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't want to see Mojo's work appear in some crappy magazine... I WANT THE BOOK!!!!!! Mojo's talent can't go to waste.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's another thought:

The Magazine article is probably going to use the relatively unusual designation Baracus-class (based on the "jewels" that arguably reminded an Admiral of D.A. Baracus from "A-Team", as pointed out by Mark in March), but

a) if you compare the shape of the Centaur to that of an actual centaur (basically a horse with a human head and torso instead of a horse's head and neck), there are clear similarities.

b) the Centaur is made of components belonging to different ships, rather than being a fully unique ship, just as a centaur is made of horse body parts and human body parts.

c) the DS9TM states that most of these ships are one-off designs.

These are three reasons why it makes more sense that the ship was kitbashed first, that it reminded someone of a centaur rather than Mr. T for a) and b), and that the first kitbash became Centaur-class U.S.S. Centaur. Production ships (if any were produced) might carry the names of related mythological creatures (Sphinx, Minotaur) or something else alltogether (Baracus, Duckats)

Boris

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Captain... Mike:

The fighter came in TNG first ('Preemptive Strike' [i believe..]), then came all over DS9's battle scenes. So its DS9's sloppy seconds on that one too.

Nope. DS9's "The Maquis, part 2" aired a couple of weeks before TNG's "Preemptive Strike". So DS9 wins that won.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to point out that the Executive shuttle did not appear in ST4. It first appeared in ST6.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One Maquis raider design (the one most commonly called the Peregrine) appears first in "The Maquis," a second design debuts in "Preemptive Strike."

So, uh, share!

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's another picture of the CGI-Centaur:

http://www.gefabbri.co.uk/TheOfficialStarTrekFactFiles/img/cover298.jpg

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does that registry say NCC-43043?

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I shouldn't think so, since it's the Fact Files that originally gave us the correct registry for the Centaur, ages before we got our mits on the photos.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AHHHH Fucked Files!!!!!!!!!!!

Haven't they put Centaur in Encyclopedia yet?

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC, the Encys are over. No updates or new versions planned.

And Unseen Frontier will probably remain Unseen, so our only way to see Mojo's models is via the Fact Files and Magazine [Frown] .

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps