Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Tholians! (Page 15)

This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15   
Author Topic: Tholians!
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, yes. Such has always been the common assumption.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
Almost certainly centigrade.

Hmm, I wonder what keeps tholian silk from not burning up/melting. This also suggests that in order for them to be in a "normal" human tolerable environment like the tholian ambassador visiting DS9, for example, they would need to wear some type of environmental suit, like the Breen.
I've always assumed tholian silk to be some sort of personal by-product!! and/or self-produced! [Smile] Like Slurm.

I wonder what would happen to a Tholian on Breen or vice versa!?! [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the universe would implode

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Not quite, unless you mean infrared/thermal energy/radiation."

Well, yes, that is what I mean.

"Ah, but, to get all crazy lingual, radioactive does not (at least, according to a free online dictionary, and I suppose information is worth what you pay for it) simply mean 'radiating energy,' but rather the specific kind of energy associated with atomic decay!"

Yeah, but he just said "rads", which refers to radiation. You're the one who said "radioactive".

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, just checkin' [Wink]

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
Almost certainly centigrade.

Hmm, I wonder what keeps tholian silk from not burning up/melting. This also suggests that in order for them to be in a "normal" human tolerable environment like the tholian ambassador visiting DS9, for example, they would need to wear some type of environmental suit, like the Breen.
Why?
If Tholians are scilcon based, tempature extremes (or possibly hard vaccum) would not bother them until reaching near their body's material threshold. (either combusting or shattering)
If Data and Lore (androids specifically constructed to mimic humans, but with scilicon brains) could easily survive and function in space, I would think a Tholian could handle the same.....at least on a temporary basis and the temperate climate of DS9 would be no big deal.
Tholian ships hay be hot (not radioactive as I previously erred)to provide sustainance and crystal growth/regeneration.
Or Tholians don't bother to shield their spacecraft interiors from the excess heat generated by their engines.
Not much need of an A.C when you're a xzenephobic crystaline species prahaps. [Wink]

...and I doubt Tholian silk is excreted from Tholians themselves. Particularly if they are crystaline/scilicon based.
Pottery from Betazed may come from that planet, but likely does not come out of the Betazoids' themselves. (god willing)
I'd imagine "Chinese Silk" is referred to as "Earth Silk" (how many merchants know all the continents and former countries on the various planets they buy merchandise from? Who'd have that kind of time?).
Tholian Silk may be so revered for it's resistance to tempature extremes. [Smile]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps