Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Tholians! (Page 8)

This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  13  14  15   
Author Topic: Tholians!
Starbuck
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Starbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
The problem is that if they do bring in species from the novels then they'd have to pay the author. And they can't have that now can they.

My understanding of the nature of Star Trek novelists' contracts - at least up until the publishing of Probe by Margaret Wander Bonanno (actually heavily rewritten by Gene deWeese) - was that Paramount owned the novel in its entirety upon completion, and that included all rights to characters, plot threads, races and such.
It's very possible that the contract in question has been superceded in recent years, or that I misinterpreted the information I was given. If, however, my understanding is correct, then it opens up a lot of potential sources for little or no cost.

I'm not saying that authors don't deserve a payment for the use of their ideas, just that technically it may not be necessary in some cases.
Of course, it's all academic and a digression in any case, since it would make the Trekiverse a heck of a lot more complex to start bringing in a bunch of glass spiders who really can change the laws of physics...

So, in the absence of novel Trek leaking into filmed Trek, I say...
Roll on a good development arc for the Tholians, the Andorians, the Tellarites, the Orions, and of course our old friends the Gorn (who are, quite naturally, gorn but not forgotten [Big Grin] ). And any other minor, background or one-shot races from any era who happen to turn up and join the fray (Bynars, perhaps? Anticans and Selay and Antideans, oh my!).

--------------------
"It was halfway to Rivendell when the drugs began to take effect."
Hunter S. Tolkein, Fear and Loathing in Barad-Dur

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
here's a fascinating idea.. what if, the next set of Powers-That-Be decide to acknowledge the varied licensed history of Trek. Not taking all the questionable novels at face value, of course, but acknowledging fan-favorite concepts in a filmed production, or allowing cross-genre pollination of aliens between four companies worth of comics and three companies of novels and several RPG histories.. not lifting or plagiarizing their material, but mining it for the things that fans liked the best?

since filmed ST seems to be crapping out, abandoning the 24th century after a failed movie and a refocus on new eras in the TV versions, an animated, or CGI, or cross-genre interpretation like a comic or novel arc would probably clean up, if theyd bring it in house enough to make it relevant and hype the fans the right way.. and then, if they get the juices flowing (since the filmed material is stale, fan excitement could very well be generated by a really cool CGI or animated, not-intended-for-kids movie or TV special/series, that would lead into a new filmed version later)..

just a thought.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Starbuck:

So, in the absence of novel Trek leaking into filmed Trek, I say...
Roll on a good development arc for the Tholians,

Absolutely.

quote:
the Andorians,
Most definitely.

quote:
the Tellarites,
Fabulous.

quote:
the Orions,

Superlative.

quote:
and of course our old friends the Gorn
Uhh...try watching TOS "Arena" again, and you might catch why this would be a decisively BAD idea. [Mad]

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
Oh my yes, pity the plight of the poor Star Trek novelists. So put upon! All they seek is artistic purity. Why, I bet they write those books for free! And, even if they didn't, there are a billion and thirty free Star Trek novels on the Web. They should just pay those authors and use their stories. Yes. I can't wait. The excitement is burning me up inside.

I'm not sure that it applies to novelists but I recall that there has been cases where TPTB decide not to use certain characters from earlier shows since it means that the scriptwriter who invented said character would have to be paid for every further episode in which they appear.
One example of this is the reason why Voyager was helmed by Tom Paris instead of Nicholas Locarno, if you follow my meaning.
Of course I could be wrong since my knowledge of literary legislation is very scant indeed.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really doubt that's the case.
Characters made for a publisher/ company are the property of that publisher/ company.
Not the writer.
If writers got any royalty share from characters they created while working for a publisher then the writer (for Hulk I believe) that came up with Wolverine (later of the X-Men) would be a multi-millionaire and Marvel would be paying through the nose for all it's charcters.
Same thing for Trek.
I can see characters/stories being caught up in legal snares between the publisher and Paramount, but no writer has rights to a character.
Just think of the writer that made the Borg....

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose it depends their contract.

I've actually just read something that seams to support what I had previously heard.
Take a look at this interview at TrekWeb and look for the word Kziniti.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, as I recall, McNeil was hired because the casting sheet for Paris read "A roguish sort, kind of like that Locarno fellow from TNG," and, ala Poochy, it was taken seriously.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Kziniti are a whole seperate can of worms.
They are the property of a (Niven?) Science Fiction writer that was friends with Roddenberry and allowed him to use his creation in a TAS episode.
Niven was not working for Gene: he had already written several novels in the Man/Kzin Wars storyline.
It was more like a crossover than anything else and nobody got screwed or anything.
Lovecraft and his pals did the same thing while refrencing things that happened in one another's stories as if they were events that actually happened.
It's one of the reasons the Chuthlu mythos works so well.
Stephen King and Peter Sraub still do this.
When Gene used his pal's characters there was no "Corperate Mentalaty" like today....and I doubt either realized the fame their creations would bring them. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.chronology.org/niven/

The whole Known Space timeline, including the Kzinti - try fitting THAT into the Star Trek timeline. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I reckon that the Tzenkethi are the Kzinti. A formal name of their homeworld/space. AND to not incur copyright problems.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why, because they both have a "z" as their second letter and an "i" as the last? Yes! They're clearly the same! [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welp - it's closer than anything else, isn't it?

Plus that's not the only TAS reference in DS9.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Why, because they both have a "z" as their second letter and an "i" as the last? Yes! They're clearly the same!
Nope, because "Tzenkethi" is nearly an anagram of "The Kzinti".

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, you mean the Mirak [Wink]
(Obscure Starfleet Command reference)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
quote:
Why, because they both have a "z" as their second letter and an "i" as the last? Yes! They're clearly the same!
Nope, because "Tzenkethi" is nearly an anagram of "The Kzinti".
Of course!
Now I see that the Talarains, Telerites, Talaxians and Tamarians are all the same species too!
How could I have been so blind? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  13  14  15   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps