Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Shuttlecraft List - Fill in the blanks (Page 5)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Shuttlecraft List - Fill in the blanks
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Janeway's SC-4 shuttle was a Type 18H!!!! And I thought mislabeling the Type 9/12 shuttle was strange.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe type 18H = 18 Huge! [Smile]

or after 17 start again at larger sizes?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The type 9A in the chart is that just from the Tech Manual? If so - where are all the other shuttles? Weren't there quite a few in there?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
What about Runabouts? They're just bigger shuttles, after all. And despite having their own NCCs, they still seemed to be assigned to big ships and stations.

I disagree with adding the Runabouts to the list. The Runabouts have the addition of U.S.S. to their names and their own NCC numbers. The USS Rio Grande is as much an independant starship as a Nebula Class is. The only difference between a Runabout and a typical larger starship is the crew count. All the other technology and such is the same. Not all of that applies to shuttlecraft as easily as the Runabouts. (The only thing we didn't get to see on the Runabouts that would've been neat is their dedication plaques.) From what we've seen, Runabouts are no more 'assigned' to ships and stations any more than other starships are.

I do aggree the Delta Flyer should be listed as a Shuttlecraft, as it is attached to USS Voyager.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sent a question into the Star Trek Magazine that actually got printed about the dedication plaques on the Runabouts. The set designers never put them in. So we have assume that either runabouts don't have plaques, or they're just tucked away in some corner that we've never seen before. I choose the latter.

[Smile]

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I'd prefer to think of runabouts as "real" starships, but definitely assigned to other ships or facilities, and with names that, (seemingly) like shuttles, are assigned by the commanding officer (or other such high-up or group of high-ups) at said location. So, I would think that would preclude an "official" dedication plaque, though I can certainly see someone making up their own to put in.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've omitted the Captain's Yachts and the Aero Wings because I don't think of them as pure shuttles, they're more like auxiliary vehicles and are integrated into the ships' structure and systems.
So technically I'd have to list a load of blank entries for the yachts docked aboard all known Galaxy and Nebula-Class Starships, which would be a real waste.
I will however make a point to add mentions of the Yachts in the Starship section of my list.

The Delta Flyer I am unsure about.
Given that they were custom builds of which there probably won't be any further examples and that neither of them displayed an individual shuttle number, I'm inclined to think of them as auxiliary vessels, like the Aeroshuttle.

As for the Runabouts, yes they are Starships in their own right and on the Starships list they will stay.
I don't see any problem with Runabouts having dedication plaques, they must be fairly straight forward to replicate and there are a few compartments onboard that we have never seen.
Perhaps the Plaques go in the central passageway on the forward most wall.

quote:
So, I take it that the designations "Type-4" and "Type-5" for the TFF shuttles and the second Hawking are just your conjecture? (Because there was never any canonical type designation for either.)

A minor leap of logic.

quote:

And where did you get that the shuttle from Insurrection was named Galileo? (Or, for that matter, that it was designated "Type 11...")

The name is from the concept sketches and I'm not sure where I picked up the type designation, I may remove it at the next update or just leave it as another leap of logic.

BTW, what is the origin of the speed boat shuttle's Type- 9 designation? was it ever mentioned onscreen?
I ask since I'd much perfer it be a Type-12, especially given the similarity to the future T-15H.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While Sternbach always intended the "Type-12" designation, the design was explicitly called "Type-9" onscreen in "Resolutions" (VGR) and IIRC at least one other episode.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^^^

It was also called Type 9 in the early episodes (at least in the first episode we saw one). The only reason Sternbach insisted in "Type 12" and even got the line into a script was some sort of Trek-tech-geek-egoism. His book contained a reference to the 9a, a freight shuttle, so the 9 could not be a long distance "speedboat". We concider the Techbooks at least semi-canon, and he wanted some continuity. So, from my point of view, the speedboat *is* a Type 12. And the E-E has 24 decks, not 29. Statement versus statement, pick the one you prefer. [Smile]

And Reverend, are you sure about the Galileo sketch? I don't remember seeing the name anywhere in the Making-of-book (or do you have another source?).

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

aneurysm
Member # 906

- posted      Profile for aneurysm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aneurysm:
at the star trek the adventure in london theres is a model of a shutle, a type 7 i believe, although it was too high to see what it was labelled as the sign said that it was the shuttle magellan (SP?).

i forgot to say that it was a shuttle from voyager!! sorry guys....maybe somone else who visited the event got a picture. my picture of the shuttle didnt come out very well.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Type-9 it is then.
I'm not too worried about the Type-9A since in my theoretical clasification system the Cargo Shuttle would be a Class-3 and so would not clash with the Class-2 Type-9.

UPDATE
Shuttle List 3

As for the E-E shuttle's name, look at the side views, you can just about see it, just aft of the windows.

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dunno about the Runabouts being completely independent though. Everyone we saw was assigned somewhere, either to DS9, or to the Academy, or wherever. I'd even hazard that the one Picard and co rode on in "Timescape" was assigned to the Enterprise, otherwise they were going to end up ferrying another starship around for god knows how long.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always viewed Runabouts (as well as the Delta Flyer) at the top end of the 'shuttle scale', as in contrast to saying that the Oberth Class is at the bottum of the 'starship scale'. Despite being partially independant, Runabouts/Delta Flyer is still limited much more so than the 'standard starship'.

They are probably created in mass production, unlike starships and morelike shuttles; they are limited to low warp, such as some of shuttles (ie Type-12) are; they are relatively lightly armed, as Captain Keogh seemed to imply that they were a joke in any sort of battle; and ultimately the name "runabout" itself implies something that is just 'not quite', for a lack of a better word, full scale.

Classic
Runabout: A small motorboat.
A light aircraft.
A small, open automobile or carriage

Trek
Runabout: A small, warp-capable vessel used for short-range missions.

So, if anything they could be viewed as a 'hybrid' as we have seen some shuttles with similar capabilities as runabouts, and runabouts with similiar capabilities as starships....

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

To quote Rick Sterbach: "The Runabout is a true multirole starship with engine efficiencies and cargo capacities proportional to larger vessels"

Runabouts have their own "USS" and "NCC" prefixes and can operate independently of a mothership, they are defiantly Starships and not shuttles, as has been made clear from the get-go.

However I will concede that the gap between Starship and Shuttle is getting increasingly narrow, especially since "Insurrection".
You could argue that this gap will continue to close as time goes on, which will probably culminate in the 29th Century Timeships like the Aeon.
For now however, the Danube-Class is not a shuttle and the E-E's Shuttle is not a Runabout.

--------------------

newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To add credence to this theory of Runabouts being not shuttles, they have their own super class. In the first episode of DS9, Commander Sisko says the USS Enterprise has delivered three Runabout Class ships.

I place the Runabout Class as lower in placement than the Scout Class, which includes the Oberth Class, and the Starship Class.

The existence of a Runabout Class implies to me both the longevity of runabouts in Starfleet service and the existence of additional unseen classes. I don't place the Sydney Class in this super class for the USS Jenolan was identified as a transport in an Okudagram seen in "Relics".

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps