Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Shuttlecraft List - Fill in the blanks (Page 6)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Shuttlecraft List - Fill in the blanks
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Super class?
Wouldn't "Classification" be a more accurate and less confusing term?

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To return to this Type 9 vs Type 12 thing once more:

I just plain can't find any reference in onscreen VOY to a connection between Type 9 and the speedboat. Sure, "Resolutions" mentions that the crew left a Type 9 for Janeway and Chakotay to use, but this craft is never seen and could just as easily be a heavy long-range cargo shuttle not unlike the TNG TM one. Which would probably even make good sense - one of those could easily carry the stasis pods and the prefab building, while a speedboat would get really cramped.

And going through the pain that is "Threshold" didn't turn up any Type 9 references. I'd need more exact instructions to spot those.

From season 5 on, the shuttles became "Class 2", so Type 9 references would have to come from seasons 3-4 primarily - season 2 didn't feature the shuttle type beyond "Threshold" and "Basics". So where to hunt for the references?

"The Swarm"?
"Future's End"?
"Coda" or "Unity"? (But those were type 8, right?)
"Day of Honor"?
"The Raven"?
"Mortal Coil"?
"Hunters"?
"Demon"? (Type 6 there only)

Those are basically the only shuttle-featuring eps there, right?

If the speedboat was Type 12, then we could more easily pretend the numbers are more or less chronological. Which brings me to another issue: IMHO, it's a good idea to steer clear of calling the TOS shuttle Type 1. Virtually nothing Kirk did, said or possessed was explicitly considered "the first of its kind". The hardware he operated wasn't experimental or roundbreaking (save for M-5). I'd assume his shuttles to have been the 8th such type in Starfleet use or something.

So if we want to run a chronological list of types from 1 to 12, Type 4 probably ought to be somewhere in the mid-24th century, rather than apply to the ST5 shuttle. TOS, TAS and TOS movie era classification systems ought to run separately, perhaps based on the "Class F" and "Class S" designations we hear.

Timo Saloniemi

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are all of the Season 2 and 3 eps I have shuttles seen or mention in (including possible types, I wasnt all too up on my types at that time, mind you):

"Non Sequitor" Type-8?
"Partuition" Type-9?
"Maneuvers" Type-8?
"Resolutions" Type-9?
"Basics" Type-9?
"The Swarm" Type-8?
"Futures End" Type-9?
"Macrocosm" Type-8?
"Fairtrade" Type-8?
"Coda" Type-8?
"Unity" Type-9?
"Rise" Type-8?
"Real Life" Type-9?
"Worse Case Scenario" Type-8?

*One note I had was that the Type 9 had a maximum speed of w/f 4 (from "Resolutions", I believe) mighty fast for a shuttle...!!

Then it gets really weird for season 3 as I have a type/class-2 in "Nemesis" and then I seem to bounce back and forth between type-6 (which I may have confused with type-8ers on occation) and type-9ers throughout the rest of the season. This may or may not be any help, but I did make a half assed attempt to keep track of it despite hating the show...

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That also happened when Seven of Nine joined Voyager at Season 4. It makes me wonder exactly what types of shuttles does the ship carry.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe Janeway was conserving replicator privileges the first two seasons for her devious plans of conquering the airwaves with her fleet of mass replicated shuttlecrafts and cloned crewmembers...

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd suggest a mix of types 6 and 8 for "classic" shuttling around, with generous spares to build new specimen; a couple of type 12 craft for long range, high speed (warp 2-3?), lotsa muscle operations; a single type 9 (warp 4) cargo shuttle to compensate for the lack of a properly installed aeroshuttle; and possibly a few shuttlepods or workbees we never saw in action.

MSDs and inconsistent visuals notwithstanding, the ship could have a humungous hangar in the secondary hull, multicompartmentalized and separated from the outer doors by several internal partitions. Twelve "Class 2" shuttles (say, six Type 6/8, six Type 12) plus the DF and/or a "Type 9C" (think the TM craft but with Voyager-style ramscoops on the nacelles [Smile] ) could be fitted in easily enough.

To move the larger types around, perhaps the partitioning walls are movable? The smaller sliding doors on the walls would be used normally, but when something bigger than a Class 2 has to go through, the whole wall can be unbolted and moved aside.

Timo Saloniemi

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After my exams I plan to finishe my Voyager-shuttlehangar. And I can tell you - it will be a mess. I've worked out several ways to fit the five (yes, five) different hangars and bays we've seen into the ass end of the ship. Furthermore I've extrapolated the theoretical maximum an Intrepid with such a hangar configuration can carry. Here's my suffestion; 2 type 12 (we've seen to nex to each other, so add an "at least"), the DF, the Baxial, one or two Type 6 and one or two type 8. Keep in mind that this would already overcrowd the five bays. For some strange reason, all of those are not larger than the average cargo bay (Maybe thy are even cargo bays - Chakotay said that the Vidiians were entering the ship through the shuttlebays in the Kes-reunion-episode, and Janeway did - at some point - also speak of more than one shuttlebay.)

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If we could take this briefly back to the Runabout again, I took a picture today of my 1/72 scale Runabout model with in-scale models of the TNG Shuttlepod, the Trek V Shuttle, and a 1/72 figure.

The Runabout to me is clearly much larger and beyond the scope of other shuttlecraft. Not many shuttles were bigger than the Trek V version, at least not by much. The photo really gives a sense of size to these beasts!
Shuttle Comparison

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh, the aft compartment of a runabout could be refitted to be a shuttle-bay for a type-15! [Smile]

Actually - I'd like to see someone do a model - CGI or otherwise of the Danube class runabout without the mission-pods.

Just the middle corridor spine down to the aft compartment.

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually have one underway now...model kit that is. It will have a separated front cabin, 4 separate cargo pods, and the aft compartment/ corridor/spine/nacelles.

I want to do another Runabout as a cutaway that reveals the interior, the inside of the impulse engines, the innards of the warp drive and nacelle coils, the aft compartment, etc.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps