Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » how big is the Enterprise-A torpedo deck? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: how big is the Enterprise-A torpedo deck?
Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woodside:

Yep, those are mine. They are still available on eBay from time to time.

I haused to see them posted on the net (feel free, anyone).

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't like the stair-step arrangement, so I placed the shaft forward of the intermix chamber (warp core). Seemed more logical at the time. On the next deck down, the horizontal shaft swung aft and to starboard, then ran aft - starboard of centerline. (if you look at the STMP Engine Room, the aft portion of Main Engineering had a vertical bulkhead running along the starboard side - while on the port side you could see the upper curve of the secondary hull meet the deck. The fore-aft horizontal shaft was (in my opinion) behind that bulkhead).

--------------------

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to be the Doubting Thomas, but who are you, exactly, "Treknophyle"? Very curious to know since you don't list a real name in your sig-line. Do you also go by "TrekAce" at Hobby Talk?
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spot on, Identity Crisis!

Reinforced engine support pylons, larger impulse engine and aft-firing torpedo tubes.
Mmm�

Now if only they'd made the pylons thick at the base and thin toward the nacelles, I'd be happy.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it just me or can anyone else sense the throbbing of testosterone in here....??

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plasma Injector's out of tune again.

Treknophile, I agree that your turbolift plan is a good one, but it toesn't need to be that way. If the turbolift goes strait down the front of the neck, it could also go down the front of the engineering deck, which would put a door right in the mysterous forward hallway, coming out of engineering. In ST:II Spock makes a big show of going down to deck 14 (forward side), then taking the ladder down to Engineering (15), so he can commit suicide and get out of the show.  -

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Treknophyle
Member # 509

My name is David Schmidt.

I agree there are a lot of possible layouts. Mine seemed to make sense to me. I didn't like the idea of a turbo shaft going down the Secondary Hull forward of the warp core - left little room for the Deflector/Sensor machinery.

--------------------

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I plan to tackle the main deflector later, but I can't imagine it really taking a whole lot of space.

--------------------
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David Schmidt? Kewel! I've heard of you in "trekno-circles", then. Very kewel. I take it that you're who the Schmidt class was named for, as well as the editor of "StarFleet Prototype"?

If so, awesome work. [Smile]

Sorry to go on like a fan-boy, but I am. Plus, it's always nice to get such fantatsically produced work as yours and that of MasterCom DataCenter out there. Us Fan-Boys and -Girls need something to drool on, after all. ;-)

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Kewel"???

Quick! Somebody grab a crowbar to pry this guys lips off Davids ass....

--------------------

Griffworks
Member # 1014

Better bring some friends. Like, about a football teams worth. ;-)
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Danger! Hobbyhorses Xing!)

Now if the turboshaft AND the vertical intermix bottle (along with the entire Engineering set) were moved aft so that the lift station in "mysterious forward hallway" coincided with the "staircased" sternmost shaft of that picture...

...then we'd solve the mystery of the long forward corridor from ST:TMP, create enough room for extensive deflector machinery at the secondary hull bow, AND leave maximal room at the torpedo deck level forward parts, in case we want to squeeze two side-by-side torp bay sets in there. Plus, it would make perfect sense that most people in ST2 and ST3 depart towards the *aft* part of the torpedo deck when "dismissed".

The minus side is that the vertical intermix bottle would have to be "staircased" as well. Or then truncated just above Main Engineering (like it is aboard TNG-era starships). And the lower part of that bottle would either have to be truncated (our view of it in TMP was forced-perspective anyway), or shafted through the main cargo bay and the arboretum, which requires a bit of additional trickery but isn't completely impossible.

(/Danger! Hobbyhorses Xing!)

Timo Saloniemi

TheWoozle
Member # 929

Here is my half-done vision....
 -

--------------------
The Woozle!

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

*snickers*

Well I guess someone just confirmed the testosterone theory...

--------------------

Treknophyle
Member # 509

Griffworks - guilty as charged.

Those other works were produced some years ago. Some used to be available on the web.

I'm presently working with a 'few good men' on 24th century deck plans - as well as the NCC-1701 and the NX-01.

--------------------

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps