Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » how big is the Enterprise-A torpedo deck? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: how big is the Enterprise-A torpedo deck?
Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something which occured to me about all this is that the ERTL connecting dorsal isn't quite as thick as that on the studio model, comparitively speaking. Not sure of the exactly difference, accounting for scale, of course.
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If at all humanly possible, the torp deck area ought to be wider than suggested by TheWoozle...

...At least by a meter or so on each side. There's a great need for a narrow corridor running forward and aft from the travel pod doors, a corridor into which the three exterior portholes would open. The forward porthole ought to open into the torp bay set in the current model, like you suggest, yet AFAIK it doesn't.

Adding these narrow corridors would also explain how people can depart the torp bay set in the direction of the pod doors even when there isn't likely to be a pod attached. They are just going through the *inner* pod access doors into this corridor that leads to turbolift (or at least ladderway) access either forward or, more probably, aft.

I know it will be a horrible, horrible squeeze, but IMHO necessary. And generally, this area of the ship ought to be incredibly cramped and compromise-ridden anyway, since it is a major departure from the TOS incarnation of the corresponding area. If we want to pretend that the basic spaceframe of the TOS ship was retained in the refit (even though neither the neck nor any other areas really correspond to the original shape), then the flared-out torp deck might feature elements that show where the old neck walls were, and then added features outward of these.

Timo Saloniemi

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I thought about that. The windows aft of the airlock door would be aft of the set wall, while I've gone over ST:II carefully and the wall section that would have had the forard window isn't shown on screen. That's probobly where they had the camera. With that in mind, it could easily have been in the torpedo room set.

I'm STILL trying to pin-down some good measurements of the neck and deck 1. zThe design above is 80' by 30' and newer research is leading me to think that it's actually 130' by 50'

[ April 25, 2003, 03:18 AM: Message edited by: TheWoozle ]

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

darkwing_duck1
Member # 790

- posted      Profile for darkwing_duck1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple of things to point out about compartment size/placement in the Connies:

There is contextual evidence in ST II that there are indeed TWO torpedo bays in that pod:

First, when the travel pod with Kirk and crew in it is approaching, it is instructed to "approach port side torpedo bay" (implying that there is also a "starboard side torpedo bay").

Second, that self same port torpedo bay goes BOOM real good latter on in the film, after being hit HARD by phaser fire from Reliant. Yet at the end of the film Spock's casket is launched out of a functioning torpedo bay and tube (the tube being shown to be the STARBOARD one).

The other issue is that of scaling. I for one think that the airlocks on the Connie are too large on the model by a good amount (40-50%). Given that certain locations (like the 2 story plus Rec Deck) are pretty much pinned down to certain locations with indentifyable associated features (primarily windows/portholes).

Reducing the size of those airlocks would make more sense, as it would free up a lot of room on the interior.

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup, that woudl explain why my plan came up small, based on the size of the airlock. I guess that all that work, I went to, making the intermix shaft fit, is for naught, heh.

--------------------
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's also been stated in several articles, dating all the way back to Paul M. Newitt's "StarFleet Assembly Manual 4" that the airlocks are twice the size they should be to scale out w/the model. If you don't alreayd have them, "Woozle", I'd like to suggest you get the Millenia Models International "Constitution II Docking Ports" set thru Federation Models. They're very nicely done and now include some Evergreen tube stock to place in the kit "caves" so that the docking ports fit better. Fit like a dream, too. [Smile]
darkwing_duck1
Member # 790

- posted      Profile for darkwing_duck1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, to be fair to AMT/Ertl, the fault is the original shooting model, not their copy. It's way too big on the shooting model too... [Smile]
SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those docking ports on the AMT kit should be about the size as the one at the back of the bridge. Clearly the other four are much larger.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The size of the ports is only "wrong" on the basis of the close-up we get of the latches locking in place in TMP (and ST2?). Apart from that, we could very well say that the doorway is big, but is *supposed* to be, and can also latch to "male" parts much smaller than the maximum "female" size indicated by the doorway. In fact, this would make operational sense (and may well be true of the huge ports on the Intrepids etc.).

I still insist that all is fair in love and trying to fit two two-deck torp bays in that compartment. Including creatively reinterpreting exterior features.

Timo Saloniemi

Timo
Member # 245

Oh, anybody willing to put two pics up for show for me if I mail them to him? They're quick'n'dirty modifications of SJ originals, to show side-by-side bays and possible turboshaft arrangements. Really sucktacular as far as graphic quality goes, but hey, that's what a "sketch" is supposed to be, right?

Timo Saloniemi

TheWoozle
Member # 929

YES, I have the docking port insters on order, from Federation Models. Once I got the size of the deck, changing the docking port to 6' diameter was easy. The lines are 5'-ish.

-

--------------------
The Woozle!

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What that seems to be still missing is the small ante-room between the Torp Room and the doorway of the Travelpod as it docked. It is unclear if the room there actually led anywhere, but there was at least two sets of round airlock doors a few feet apart.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Griffworks
Member # 1014

quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:
*snickers*

Well I guess someone just confirmed the testosterone theory...

BTW, not sure if you're Trolling or what your deal is, but I was making an attempt at humor, not throwing testosterone around. My comment about bringing about a football teams worth was more to the point of my ass-kissing developing a strong enough adherence to David's buttocks that you'd need that many folks to separate us. While I am a big guy, I'm not necessarily in to violence as anything other than a tool..... [Roll Eyes]
TheWoozle
Member # 929

I think he's refering to our compairing the size of our... torpedo decks?

--------------------
The Woozle!

Griffworks
Member # 1014

If that's the case, my apologies!

However, I re-read it several times and found it to be an ambiguous, at best. Maybe I'm just too cynical anymore after all these years online, but it just struck me as rather Trollish, after thinking on it for a day or two.

Yeah, I'm too much the cynic anymore, methinks.... [Frown]

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps