Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » how big is the Enterprise-A torpedo deck? (Page 7)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: how big is the Enterprise-A torpedo deck?
TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shane, I owe you an apology. No matter how I try to do it, the turboshaft has to be as you show it. Down one side, just as you show it on pg. 87.

Now that my torpedo deck is planned... time to plan engineering...
 -

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

darkwing_duck1
Member # 790

- posted      Profile for darkwing_duck1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thelastguardian, what do you think of my suggestion (articulated in another thread) that we politely ignore the "canon" measurements and rescale the entire ship to fit the sets shown? It solves a LOT of problems, addressed here, as well as some not mentioned.
MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by darkwing_duck1:
thelastguardian, what do you think of my suggestion (articulated in another thread) that we politely ignore the "canon" measurements and rescale the entire ship to fit the sets shown? It solves a LOT of problems, addressed here, as well as some not mentioned.

That's always seemed logical to me.

It's just too bad set designers never think about this stuff.

I also have to pester Andy about who decided the impulse shaft went straight up to the deflection crystal where there was a big obvious corridor outside engineering. hee hee

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

thelastguardian
Member # 1017

- posted      Profile for thelastguardian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

It isn't an idea I've extensively examined, but offhand I see no reason not to run it up the flagpole. Many approaches are valid, inasmuch as we're dealing with fiction here. However, just about any method of harmonizing a vessel's interior and exterior is going to demand its own set of compromises -- particularly in areas where interior and exterior 'meet,' such as docking ports, hangar doors, and window spacing.

Other things, such as scaling standard human height to 'enlarged' interior features, must also be considered -- usually, one can fudge a bit, so long as the 'cheat' isn't pushed too far.

As I mentioned in another post, one just has to decide personally which on-screen 'evidence' takes precedence, and which is expendable [Smile]

Shane

thelastguardian
Member # 1017

- posted      Profile for thelastguardian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheWoozle:
Shane, I owe you an apology. No matter how I try to do it, the turboshaft has to be as you show it. Down one side, just as you show it on pg. 87.

Now that my torpedo deck is planned... time to plan engineering...

Hey, no apology necessary. We're all trying to get this ship sorted out -- well, you guys more than me, nowadays (I gave it my shot back in '86).

I'm really enjoying the concepts being presented on this board, and I'm honored to contribute anything I can in the way of answers, ideas or opinions. It'll be up to you to decide the merit of anything I have to pass along.

Your floor plan should make for a really cool cutaway model...I'd like to see pics when you have them!

Thanks for the kind words [Smile]

Shane

darkwing_duck1
Member # 790

- posted      Profile for darkwing_duck1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by thelastguardian:
quote:

It isn't an idea I've extensively examined, but offhand I see no reason not to run it up the flagpole. Many approaches are valid, inasmuch as we're dealing with fiction here. However, just about any method of harmonizing a vessel's interior and exterior is going to demand its own set of compromises -- particularly in areas where interior and exterior 'meet,' such as docking ports, hangar doors, and window spacing.

Other things, such as scaling standard human height to 'enlarged' interior features, must also be considered -- usually, one can fudge a bit, so long as the 'cheat' isn't pushed too far.

As I mentioned in another post, one just has to decide personally which on-screen 'evidence' takes precedence, and which is expendable [Smile]

Shane

Agreed...

Personally, I think it easier to simply "scale up" the ship to match the sets. It requires the least amount of work to do (resizing the airlock doors) and solves (or at least mitigates) most of the problems the sets caused (as already covered). It DOES cause a few problems of it's own, but only a few, and they are really minor in the great scheme of things.

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps