Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » how big is the Enterprise-A torpedo deck? (Page 6)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: how big is the Enterprise-A torpedo deck?
thelastguardian
Member # 1017

- posted      Profile for thelastguardian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
i have a feeling you are going to be inundated with questions regarding the 1701-A transwarp graphics and the rec deck proposed sketches... i just gotta say, good work on everything

Many such issues are addressed in an interview I did with Greg Tyler's excellent 'Trekplace' a couple of years ago. You can find it at:

http://www.trekplace.com/interviews/sj-int01.shtml

My own web site is located at:

www.shanejohnsonbooks.com

And thank you for the kind words [Smile]

Shane

thelastguardian
Member # 1017

- posted      Profile for thelastguardian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My use of the name 'Ti-Ho' involves a close friend of mine who had passed away. 'Ti-Ho' was the class name of a ship he had designed, and I used the name as a tribute to him.

At the time MSG was written (the summer of 1986), no back history had yet been established for the 1701-A, and it was necessary for the book that some such history be included. The 'Yorktown' designation now considered 'canon' was not conceived until several years later (in the works of Sternbach and Okuda), when Paramount chose to disregard my work and that of other early, licensed authors, despite its precedence.

Shane

[ May 01, 2003, 08:23 PM: Message edited by: thelastguardian ]

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am really envious of you, Shane. I was born in '74 (the day after Nixon was pardoned, actually), and one of my biggest regrets is that I missed the entirety of Project: Gemini.

For my little pocket universe, I have three docks at the San Francisco yards building Constitutions and Enterprises, and at the time the Federation Council and Starfleet Command were trying to figure out which ship to re-name Enteprise for a present to Kirk, the three newbuilds were considered, those being the Levant, Atlantis, and Ti-Ho. In the end, however, the Admiralty got their way, and Kirk's new ship was the ageing, refit Yorktown.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

thelastguardian
Member # 1017

quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:
I am really envious of you, Shane. I was born in '74 (the day after Nixon was pardoned, actually), and one of my biggest regrets is that I missed the entirety of Project: Gemini.

For my little pocket universe, I have three docks at the San Francisco yards building Constitutions and Enterprises, and at the time the Federation Council and Starfleet Command were trying to figure out which ship to re-name Enteprise for a present to Kirk, the three newbuilds were considered, those being the Levant, Atlantis, and Ti-Ho. In the end, however, the Admiralty got their way, and Kirk's new ship was the ageing, refit Yorktown.

--Jonah

Thanks, Jonah...I appreciate your thoughtfulness.

Yes, the days of Gemini and Apollo were something to behold. Walking in space for the first time, leaving the Earth for the first time, wow. Imagine launching a mission to the moon every two months or so -- the breakneck pace was breathtaking. What an exciting time to be alive.

There are some outstanding 'as it happened' DVD sets available from www.spacecraftfilms.com -- give them a look. I own a few of their amazing sets, and they do a nice job of recapturing the awe and adventure of the NASA of the 60s and 70s.

Shane

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't know if you ever saw this in Smithsonian's "Air & Space" magazine -- or if you read it at all -- but there was an offer for a two CD-ROM set containing the complete transcription of all transmissions between mission control and each spacecraft from Mercury Redstone 3 to Apollo 17. Don't know if NASA Public Relations is still offering it, but it was free, plus shipping costs. Makes for fascinating reading.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

thelastguardian
Member # 1017

I did pick up the NASA transcript CD-ROM you mention...very, very cool. Not bad for the price of postage [Smile]

Shane

[ May 01, 2003, 09:58 PM: Message edited by: thelastguardian ]

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, unless somebody convinces me that it's silly, this is what my torpedo deck will look like, in my cut-away model. The Movie set fits, The docking port looks like it does on-screen, the windows fit, the Intermix shaft and turbo-shaft fits (the aft turbo-lift comes down from above and doesn't go any lower), and even Scotty's torpedo crontrol room (ST:VI) fits. Oh, and the scale is 5' per line.

-

[ May 05, 2003, 08:50 PM: Message edited by: TheWoozle ]

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No arguments here. Looks pretty darned good, IMO.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Though, surely a docking lounge should connect to the actual dock, rather than making people walk through the torpedo bay. Folks are trying to work in there, you know.
TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No room.
On screen, they (accadentally, I'm sure) had the camera where the forward window would be, so that one's easy. The set is about 15' wide, two of them side-by-side would be most of the approx. 50' width of the deck. I've seen plans that show a door between the two docking-lock doors, but not only is it not seen on screen, but there really isn't room, and having a door in a docking port would be kinda silly. In the movies, that space between doors looks to be only a couple feet, with the inner door being the ship's door and the outer door being the shuttlepod's door.

It's not an air lock, since there's no little room with inner and outer doors.

It just occured to me, that the scene where Kirk and Scotty get in the travel pod, should have the same door arangement as when they dock on the ship.

EDIT: I just added a travel pod, to help explain the doors.

[ May 05, 2003, 08:53 PM: Message edited by: TheWoozle ]

--------------------
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

thelastguardian
Member # 1017

It's a fun layout, but be aware that it does present several continuity problems with what was seen on-screen:

1) The photon torpedo bay (or each bay, if one places two of them side-by-side) is 28 feet in diameter, not 15. Reducing the room's width by almost half is quite a stretch, and a fifteen-foot diameter version of the room would be vastly different in appearance.

2) This plan does not include the security foyers/airlocks between the outer docking port doors and the inner bay doors, seen in ST II.

3) Placing the forward turbolift shaft in the position you have chosen makes the Main Engineering entry foyer impossible (that was where Kirk told Decker he was assuming command of the ship), for it sits in the same location.

4) There were no viewports in the bays themselves, and your angled wall/hatch arrangement at the aft point where the two bays meet does not match the set as built.

5) After his inspection, Kirk (et al) was seen to exit the portside bay at the forward port corner. These plans do not provide an exit at that point.

I would have loved to have placed two bays side by side in MSG, for I believe that was the illusion Meyer intended to convey. Unfortunately, the Snoopy's doghouse effect is very much in play here, and as a result I was forced to devise the single bay/horseshoe-launcher compromise.

One pretty much has to decide to which on-screen features one is going to adhere, and which ones may safely be ignored. Pick your poison. In MSG, I tried to do the least amount of violence to the ship as a whole, but my interpretation was not necessarily the only viable one.

I do like your plan [Smile]

Shane

TheWoozle
Member # 929

Thanks, it would be nice if the torpedo bay had fit as well as the shuttle bay set did for ST:V. It just comes down to what compromises you want to make. I DO insist that there isn't that an airlock or docking loung doesn't make any sense, when the inner door LOOKS like the ship door and the OUTER door is the shuttle pod's door.

I also agree with what you say about the turboshaft. There's another deck between the torpedo deck and the Engineering deck, which could easily have a turbo-lift branch. I envision the turbo lift being where that mysterious hallway is, FORE of Engineering.

--------------------
The Woozle!

thelastguardian
Member # 1017

quote:
Originally posted by TheWoozle:
Thanks, it would be nice if the torpedo bay had fit as well as the shuttle bay set did for ST:V. It just comes down to what compromises you want to make. I DO insist that there isn't that an airlock or docking loung doesn't make any sense, when the inner door LOOKS like the ship door and the OUTER door is the shuttle pod's door.

On a ship such as this, ANY door that opens to space is going to have an airlock behind it. Each docking port features its own outer doors, which rest just 'inside' the mechanism which accepts the doors of the travel pods/shuttlecraft (see page 47 of MSG). The foyer shown between the outer and inner hatches of the torp bay docking port is far too deep for the inner door to be the only one -- all filming models of the Enterprise show a sealed hatch just within the port.

Shane

thelastguardian
Member # 1017

Sorry to keep editing my message on you, but I thought of other points I needed to make [Smile]

Shane

TheWoozle
Member # 929

ah, it wasn't that plain to me. Nice to have somebody that's actually seen it.

--------------------
The Woozle!

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps