Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Crew complement of the Norway class (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Crew complement of the Norway class
David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then there's the B'rel class BoPs. With their size, their bridge is sitting right ontop of the torpedoe launcher. All the Captain has to do is to open a trap door below some incompetent bridge officer, and they drop right into the launcher, all ready for their final journey into space.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my dreams that's the punishment for any Klingon quoting Shakespeare.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
I'm only pointing out people's odd notion that the Norway is a failure because we've not seen more of it....just like the Intrepid.
...and that movable nacelles on anything is a baad idea and I disgard it for the Norway.

I've always wondered why people insist that all the FC ships were warships made especially to fight the Borg. (In case nobody noticed there were a few Oberths in that fleet too)

I've always thought of the Norway as container tug/freighter ala Ptolemy, with it's aft cavity and moveable nacelles it's seams ideal to me.
Plus the fact it doesn't appear to be especially well armed.

In fact out of the four I think the Saber and the Akira are the only ones with any really significant tactical capability (yes I do buy the 15 torp launchers).
As for the Steamrunner, it also seams to be less than heavily armed and with it's single hull it could be the mid-24th century equivalent to the Oberth, albeit a little bigger.
Perhaps a long range surveyor, or maybe even a geo-terraformer like the U.S.S. Strata?

It's not like Starfleet is going to be particularly picky with what ships it chooses to throw a borg cube that's getting into Earth orbit, I'm sure that by the time the Cube reached Sol 90% of the Typhon fleet had already been wiped out.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
[QUOTE]
It's not like Starfleet is going to be particularly picky with what ships it chooses to throw a borg cube that's getting into Earth orbit, I'm sure that by the time the Cube reached Sol 90% of the Typhon fleet had already been wiped out.

SO right! Three hours is a looong damn time to be engaging the Borg. I'd imagine that many Akira and Galaxy class ships were part of the initial wave sent to intercept the Cube. Probably a couple of new Defant class ships too. (that's what they're made for after all!)
The USS Soverign might well have been destroyed during the battle as well: we never knew what ship the admiral was on. [Wink]
Steamrunners and Norways were probably among the final ships sent in as a last-ditch effort when the cube entered sector 001.
The Akiras and Sabres might be the only ships from the first wave tough enough (or fast enough, in the Sabre's case)to avoid destruction.

Something else never addressed is how Starfleet took down or circumvented the Borg static warp field (or whatever passed for Borg shields in BOBW).
Possibly the Steamrunner and Norway have prominent deflectors as a new variant on Geordi's deflector weapon.
I can't see standard photon torpedos doing any damage while the field was in effect. [Razz]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
we never knew what ship the admiral was on.
Surely this is explicitly called out in the film? "The USS Whatever has been destroy." "Now I have the power!" My memory is no good tonight, though.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The line was more like "Sir, the Admiral's ship has been destroyed."
No name was specifically mentioned.

The Admiral's ship was supposed to be a new design called the ENDEAVOUR, with the intention that we'd see it's destruction during the battle.
It was later ditched in favour of showing the Defiant when Worf was written into the script.
However I belive there was an ENDEAVOUR mentioned in the radio chatter but it's arguable as to wether or not the Nebula-Class ship seen in the battle (after the line about Hayes's ship) was the ENDEAVOUR NCC-71805 - supposedly the lone survivor of Wolf 359 - or the LEEDS NCC-70352.

If it was the ENDEAVOUR then the Admiral's ship could have been called anything (perhaps that's where the Hiroshima comes from?).
Personally I'd much rather have the old ENDEAVOUR survive both Borg attacks than it be a new design, just to prove that a ship doesn't have to be called Enterprise in order to survive impossible odds. ;-)

Asside from that, if the ENDEAVOUR was the lone survivor of W359 then it would make perfect sense for it to be present during the Typhon incursion, especially with the Enterpise relegated to patrol duty.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"has been destroy."

Apparently I was thinking of Star Trek: Zero Wing.

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
INSERT CAPITAL LETTERED MEME HERE !!

I am on the ball.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YOU ARE A VERY SILLY MAN !!

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by David Templar:
Then there's the B'rel class BoPs. With their size, their bridge is sitting right ontop of the torpedoe launcher. All the Captain has to do is to open a trap door below some incompetent bridge officer, and they drop right into the launcher, all ready for their final journey into space.

har. Klaa did that in one of the early DC volume 2 comics, written by Peter David
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps