Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The Armada (Page 5)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: The Armada
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it's nacelles are much skinnier than an Excelsior's, so the power may not be the same.
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And it's smaller overall. The saucer, as has been determined in comparison to the J'H attack ship, is NOT the same size. It's a completely different beast - as the New Orleans to the Galaxy.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
Well, it's nacelles are much skinnier than an Excelsior's, so the power may not be the same.

Plus, as every Yeoman knows, it's not the size of the nacelles that matters, it's how much plasma the warp core delivers...

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, that's just what the yeowomen tell them to make them feel better...
MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MrNeutron:
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:

Plus, as every Yeoman knows, it's not the size of the nacelles that matters, it's how much plasma the warp core delivers...
Um...all the Yeomen seen are Trek ARE women.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
There's an interesting structure apparently at work in the ventral saucer surface of the Steamrunner. I'm pretty sure that it's not just shadows... You can best see it in this image -- the biggest Steamrunner is along the top center edge of the image, although there's another that's of fair size on the upper right-side edge, too. I don't think that the bottom Steamrunner's saucer is quite as smooth like all the schematics we've seen suggest...

Well - It looks as if the bussard collectors on the Steamrunner poke out the bottom of the saucer as well as the top.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed. It now seems pretty much clear that they forgot to add the bottom to some of the Steamrunners in this shot. And to that one deflector-less Akira. We're basically seeing the inside of the top surface.

Not a serious problem, not for the VCR audience at least. The lack of deflector glow can be easily spotted, but can also be rationalized away. And I trust that we don't want to speculate on the existence of a bottomless variant of the Steamrunner design. [Smile]

Odd that there seem to be perfectly well rendered Steamrunners and Akiras in the shots as well.

Timo Saloniemi

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doesn't the Centaur model use a Miranda bridge instead instead of the Excelsior's bridge, thus making the saucer small than an Excelsior? I believe the window details in the model are also different, adding to the fact that it's a smaller ship.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do CGI errors constitute a new canon variant of a ships class, or do we take them with a grain of salt and move on???

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hands up, all those who truly want to believe in a bottomless Steamrunner! [Roll Eyes]

...Although come to think of it, one could easily install a bottomless pit on such a ship, in case some villains needed a push.

The Centaur indeed has the Miranda bridge to go with the Miranda roll bar and torpedo pod, but it could just be a really really big bridge. And the window rows suggest the saucer is about twice the size of an Excelsior saucer! That is, if we assume each row constitutes a deck. So you can pick just about any size you prefer. I prefer the one on scale with the Miranda bridge...

Timo Saloniemi

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That seems the most reasonable to me. I'll have to go look at a size comparison of the Randy and the the Excelsior...
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
Doesn't the Centaur model use a Miranda bridge instead instead of the Excelsior's bridge, thus making the saucer small than an Excelsior? I believe the window details in the model are also different, adding to the fact that it's a smaller ship.

Not really.....although it is a bit confusing.
The Excelsior was intended to be a 600 meter long ship: and the bridge reflects that.
Buuuut, when TNG got rolling, they decided to make the excelsior 465 meters long (to illustrate the Galaxy's huge size) and so if you placed a Miranda and excelsior model next to each other, the Excelsior's bridge is actually (at 465 meters) much smaller than the Miranda/connie refit bridge!
Dumb, I know, but it's the truth.
So, we're forced to either consider the Excelsior's bridge to be recessed with only the sensor dome sticking out or just to ignore it.
The two Centaur stlye ships I've built both have Miranda bridges, are both scaled as using an Excelsior sized saucer/nacelles and both look correct with the window placement of the studio model by using the windows from a GCS.
See?
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=1301771&uid=657989
I even used a correctly scaled Miranda torpedo launcher, just for plausability's sake. [Razz]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Well... in the face of a lack of concrete sizing, I like to think of it as a smaller scout ship, with a saucer smaller than that of the Excelsior. I don't think that the Centaur just has a Randy torp pod slung under it. I think it's a unique structure that houses functional areas of the ship, most probably Engineering and the torp bays.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the underslung section is on a small scout ship, then it cant e anything but a Miranda torp pod and if it's a larger cruiser, the torp tubes are three times too large.....
No real soulution either way, really.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
Indeed. It now seems pretty much clear that they forgot to add the bottom to some of the Steamrunners in this shot. And to that one deflector-less Akira. We're basically seeing the inside of the top surface.

Not a serious problem, not for the VCR audience at least. The lack of deflector glow can be easily spotted, but can also be rationalized away. And I trust that we don't want to speculate on the existence of a bottomless variant of the Steamrunner design. [Smile]

Odd that there seem to be perfectly well rendered Steamrunners and Akiras in the shots as well.

Timo Saloniemi

Is it possible that the bottom always shows the bussard collectors on a steamie?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps