Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The Armada (Page 7)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: The Armada
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must say I don't see the need for the bridge to be unobstructed, as we see an "inset" bridge on the Defiant.

And the shuttlebay problem is easily solved by saying that this is not a shuttlebay at all.

The forward-facing, bronze-painted thing made out of the Excelsior hangar piece could be a deflector for this otherwise rather deflector-less ship, AND for the Curry/Raging Queen, all of which could use the same size of Excelsior-looking but smaller-than-Miranda saucer.

This would mean that the Curry/RG would have really tiny bridges, though. But again, they could be inset...

Timo Saloniemi

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with Timo in thinking that it's not a shuttle bay. It seems like a really bad place to put one no matter what your scale is.

I suppose it could be a deflector... or it could be nothing. Or maybe it's the cargo bay.

One thing to remember about bridges, we've seen really small ones. The Holoship bridge appeared to be about the size of a shuttlecraft cockpit. I'm guessing the Centaur's is a little bigger than that, but if she's a small ship, maybe her bridge is only the size of, say, Data's U.S.S. Sutherland.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking at the Centaur screencaps, it looks like at least the forward-most greeblie added to the ventral saucer is a phaser turret, since the beam doesn't come from the standard turret positions on the Excelsior.

Personally, I think that makes sense -- they strapped on a higher-power phaser emitter to supplement their standard armament. Kinda enhances the "retrofit" feel of the ship -- even if the Centaur was an original-build design, there were lots of custom add-ons made for the war. I like that idea.

I think that if the Centaur were really scout-sized (note I said if), then maybe the forward saucer projection that we think is a shuttlebay is actually a some customized piece of armor to provide additional protection for the bridge, and it isn't REALLY a shuttlebay at all. It just looks like a similar piece on the Excelsior.

Actually, I think that that same argument could apply to the larger scale as well! And in that case, as others have already suggested, they just took the hull shell from an Excelsior shuttlebay (maybe salvaged from a wrecked ship after the war started?) and welded that in place without it having any real functionality underneath. The same would go for the larger bridge dome.

As for the scale... I'm not all that good at measuring relative ship sizes, but I think that based on this shot, accounting for the fact that the Centaur is firing its phaser at nearly a 90� angle relative to the fore-aft axis and the apparently small distance (tough to judge, I know) to the Jem'Hadar bug, that the ship is probably using a real Excelsior saucer rather than supposed to be a miniature, like the New Orleans. I also consider the fact that the designers took the time to paint windows onto the hull -- inaccurate though they might be in terms of actual decks -- that they definitely indicate the approximate scale they had in mind when making the model. Besides, these windows even appeared illuminated, meaning they had to add the white glow during the visual effects process. (I still think we should ignore the actual deck counts from the windows, though, since there simply can't be that many decks in between, even on an Excelsior.)

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How big did the dome look on the E-Ds saucer module when Picard and Riker looked up through it??

It seemed like it was just over the command chair, maybe as far as helm, but not covering the other stations....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cartman:
That's the trouble with dick gags 'round these parts: you can never anticipate whom they might be lost on. B)

Just because I didn't laugh means nothing about not getting it... lame joke, over used, lost it's humor about the time it reached it's billionth allegory.

I was trying to get back on topic---

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The Curry (one can see that the name is accurate from the pic) has the registry of the Raging Queen. (NCC-42284) Does this mean they realy WERE the same model after all?
So, like, has anyone checked up on this? It's obviously not the same model (or at least not the same saucer, as the damage patterns don't match), yet now we can clearly see that the registries are the same. We previously thought the reg for the Curry was 45617(?), supposedly stated by the Art Department. So what gives?

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

japol
Member # 1149

- posted      Profile for japol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always imagined that the "Raging Queen" was an art department joke by someone who was a Saturday Night Live fan and not to be taken particularly seriously. It appeared as the ship that rescued Michael Palin's character in a Dickens parody (for those who didn't know) - John Belushi played the captain. She was manned by manly-men so to speak, to quote the skit.

For some reason, I cannot imagine Starfleet naming a vessel after a comedy routine.

--------------------
I slit the sheet, the sheet I slit, and on the slitted sheet I sit.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, for all we know, there was a real queen on some world somewhere who took matters into her own hands against rebels or pirates or Klingons, and that her gallantry under fire earned her the nickname "Raging Queen" and love of her citizens.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...or the ship is really really really really really flaming gay.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, that solves the question "Where are all the gays in Star Trek?" Answer - serving on the Raging Queen. Ugly ship on the outside, but the interior decor is to die for! Tres chic, darling. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My personal theory is that Starfleet Command didn't have the time to officially christen all these ships as they got launched and assigned to combat duty, so they got semi-official names by the dock workers that were not always of the "traditional" Starfleet style. And they just didn't paint the "USS" on the Raging Queen because they were out of the non-replicatable hull paint. (Oh wait, that was the Relativity-E... [Big Grin] )

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
For some reason, I cannot imagine Starfleet naming a vessel after a comedy routine.
yeah; I can't imagine the USS Dead Parrot strikes fear into the hearts of many Klingon warriors...

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The USS Fleshwound might, though.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
So, that solves the question "Where are all the gays in Star Trek?" Answer - serving on the Raging Queen. Ugly ship on the outside, but the interior decor is to die for! Tres chic, darling. 8)

Queer Eye for the Gamma Persei [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Backing things up for a second, at the end of the "Sacrifice of Angels" battle there was a Jem'Hadar cruiser at the very back of the lines that the Defiant passes as it runs the gauntlet with the Rotarran... It always looked a little different to me than a plain-vanilla Jem'Hadar cruiser.. differently-shaped and "ridged" mandibles, a big keel thing sticking downwards, different upper nacelle-things, plus the impression of being a tad bigger (not that that alone is worth a whole lot [Wink] ).

Now, the Jemmie cruiser design went through a couple of iterations (at least two, if not three CGI models and a physical model existed) so I've always wondered if that was indeed a different variant than the design we've gotten used to which was used because they needed better detail for the close flyover. Could somebody grab some shots of her?

And while we're at it, can we grab some shots of the Jemmie cruiser from "Ties of Blood and Water," just to see what particular iteration we got then?

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps