Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The Armada (Page 6)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: The Armada
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I doubt there's any way that the bussards go all the way through the saucer and show on the bottom of a steamrunner. They'd have to be huge. And it would really serve no purpose to run the bussards through the ship.

What if the Centaur's saucer were, say, the size of the NX-01, or a little bigger? I would think there would be room in that lower pod for at least a few rooms, one contaning the warp core,

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why does Engineering or the warp core need to be in there? For example, the Excelsior "hump" that connects the nacelle pylons with the secondary hull is rarely posited as the location for either.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MrNeutron:
Um...all the Yeomen seen are Trek ARE women.

*ahem*

What about Yeoman Burke and Yeoman Samno from TUC? [Roll Eyes] [Razz]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well... it doesn't *have* to be there I guess. Just seem logical. The Excelsior has all kinds of other places Engineering could be. What with the impulse engines being where they are, locations for Main Engineering on the Centaur are kind of limited.
J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Plus, as every Yeoman knows, it's not the size of the nacelles that matters, it's how much plasma the warp core delivers...

Unfortunately this is only a half truth. There is an unknown formula in the matter that concerns the amount of heat the coils can handle, which is a matter of refinement. As more plasma is delievered to the coils they heat up and lose efficiency, even before the point where they self-destruct.

If two ships that have coils of the exact same refinement are compared... one with bigger coils [thus the bigger nacelle--- and I'm assuming this is in width not length, we can assume that length and even the number of coils in the nacelles are exactly the same]. We will find that the vessel with bigger coils is a better warp vessel for these reasons:

1) more vertium cornide
2) more surface area for contact with the plasma
3) more surface area for heat dispersion [including contact with coolants I assume]

This would equate to:

1) the ability to go faster
2) the ability to go a certain fast speed longer
3) the ability to run more efficiently in the long run

Now add in all the other factors and it becomes impossible to accurately compare different warp engines from this side of the TV. We know that coil refinement plays a role, plasma tuning, power generation, and to a certain extent coil size and amount. Some of these on their own are impossible for us to know any details about unless we get to see them on the show--- coil refinement is one such example.

So, while most yeomen may think that, it will not always be true.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

japol
Member # 1149

- posted      Profile for japol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow.

And here I thought that was a joke.

--------------------
I slit the sheet, the sheet I slit, and on the slitted sheet I sit.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's the trouble with dick gags 'round these parts: you can never anticipate whom they might be lost on. B)
Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love this place.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
quote:

*ahem*

They were exceptionally ugly women.
....and they died like the bitches they were. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But then again, J, there are other things that can help with propulsion, helm's experience in handling the vessel, both at high speed and sometimes taking it slow and easy, the navigator's ability to navigate in all situations.

There is a lot to consider about all of this, if one is to please the Captain that is....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's also the whole mass vs. thrust ratio that would make ships like the Curry underpowered while ships like the Medusa and Niagra are virtual powerhouses for their size.
Not to mention the RCS thrusters for precision handling.....and rich corenthian leather seats for the senior officers' seats, of course.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
quote:

*ahem*

Have you checked their genetic code. [Wink] Amazing what a trip to planet Denmark will do!

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

japol
Member # 1149

- posted      Profile for japol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ritten:
But then again, J, there are other things that can help with propulsion, helm's experience in handling the vessel, both at high speed and sometimes taking it slow and easy, the navigator's ability to navigate in all situations.

There is a lot to consider about all of this, if one is to please the Captain that is....

Sure, with the right helmsman you could make the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs.

Sorry, couldn't resist. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I slit the sheet, the sheet I slit, and on the slitted sheet I sit.

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If anyone's interested, I did a minor analysis of the Centaur scaling issue when I built my model.

USS Centaur

I contend that the saucer and thus the ship uses Excelsior based components, not Miranda-scaled components.

I have a deck analysis on the above page that depicts how the decks would be arranged if scaled each way. If it's scaled to Miranda, there are two immediate problems: The shuttlebay door would only allow a person to exit without bumping their head...a shuttle wouldn't get through. The other is that the couple of rows of windows on the saucer bottom (clearly seen during the episode) would represent one deck, AND those walking on that deck would be walking ON the windows as they would comprise the floor.

The majority of the Miranda bridge module is obscured by the shutlebay. The 'sensor dome' perfectly clears the shuttlebay and using the Excelsior-scaled ship, the dome is large enough and high enough to be one deck thick, and therefore the Centaur's bridge.

Those are the main points in favor of an Excelsior-scaled USS Centaur.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would guess that the bridge would be under the dome, not in the dome itself. If it were actually in the dome, the walls would curve down too much, and leave only a little useable space in the center.
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps