Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The Armada (Page 4)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: The Armada
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Curry (one can see that the name is accurate from the pic) has the registry of the Raging Queen. (NCC-42284) Does this mean they realy WERE the same model after all? [Eek!]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I doubt it....although if they had one Excelsior saucer rigged with lights to simulate battle damage, they might have used the same saucer for both ships.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woohoo! [Big Grin] Okay, going down the list:
  • Based on these two images (one | two) which were taken scant seconds apart, you can get a rough sense of the scale of the ship. The left-hand Jemmie fighter that's firing ahead of the cruiser in the first shot is suddenly flying behind the cruiser in the second shot. The angles mandate that the fighter is firing awfully close to the cruiser to get at the runabout. This looks like the cruiser is definitely only in the 400-meter range.

Also, in the last shot we've got a pretty clear look at the underside of the ship -- and there's a MUCH simpler pattern for those glow-y purple lights that might be the impulse engines.

That settles it for me -- that's DEFINITELY a different class of ship! It just didn't get seen as often, or else was "mistaken" for the similar heavy cruiser design in some of the lower-resolution background shots elsewhere. I'll have to dig up and re-work my kitbash that I did of the design a few months back.
  • There's an interesting structure apparently at work in the ventral saucer surface of the Steamrunner. I'm pretty sure that it's not just shadows... You can best see it in this image -- the biggest Steamrunner is along the top center edge of the image, although there's another that's of fair size on the upper right-side edge, too. I don't think that the bottom Steamrunner's saucer is quite as smooth like all the schematics we've seen suggest...
  • I do see the giant Miranda! Take a look at the rightmost of the two Galaxy-class ships... [Wink] (I'll just write this one off as an effects glitch, though...)
  • Is this an optical illusion, or a very weird Akira? Take a look at the one just to the right of the rightmost Galaxy... doesn't it seem to be missing the lower bulge and the glow of its deflector dish? Kinda like the saucer were inverted or something?
  • You can just about make out the lettering on the left-hand GCS... NCC-1701-D! [Razz]
  • What's that blob approximately WNW of the big K't'inga? Based on this third shot, I do believe that's a Raging Queen variant!
  • It's hard to tell because of the dim color, but I'm 95% sure that the Curry variant did not have its deflector dish replaced -- it's just not lit. (Battle damage, of course...)
  • Hmm. On second thought, I'm not so sure.
This is definitely a great find. Many thanks to both Spike and Scott! [Big Grin]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that the Dominion cruiser is a diffrent class than Dukat's command ship.
Diffrent hull configuration plus the dorsal nacelles look far larger in relation to the ship's hull on this one.
It looks like the dorsal nacelles are from the larger cruiser but on a smaller superstructure.

The Steamrunner's ventral side is correct with the one from First Contact. A freind of mine at Starcrafts Models got the specs and CGI from someone at the Paramount art dept to make his model master and they match in details from that pic.

What's worse? A monster Miranda or a tiny Galaxy?

The Akira looks like an unfinished CGI model: there's NO detail on the ventral side at all!

I agree that the blob to the left of the K'Tinga is he Raging Queen (based on the nacelle configuration mainly).

I think from the secxond shot that the deflector is replaced with the connie refit style shuttlebay.
God only knows why though...

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding that last bit -- I don't think you're looking at the same thing, Jason. The Excelsior's aft shuttle/cargo bay piece has been brought forward to this end of the secondary hull, yes, but down in the deflector cove, the dish is still there prominently dishlike (but unlit). I see nothing Enterprise-shuttlebay-y about it.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that the "weird Akira" just doesn't have its deflector lit (like many of the other ships). And, because of the way the light is hitting it, the features are just washed out and hard to see. I doubt that they aren't there.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:
Regarding that last bit -- I don't think you're looking at the same thing, Jason. The Excelsior's aft shuttle/cargo bay piece has been brought forward to this end of the secondary hull, yes, but down in the deflector cove, the dish is still there prominently dishlike (but unlit). I see nothing Enterprise-shuttlebay-y about it.

--Jonah

Jack the brightness on you monitor to maximum and it looks like theres definitely something in there (not the deflector).
I'm of the opinion that it's the clamshell shuttlebay from a constiution model thats been cut to size and inserted there.
The kitbashers were using the 1:1000th Excelsior and the 537th Connie Refit for the Curry/Raging Queen bashes and that part of the connie model kit can fit into the deflector area without any difficulty.

Just my own theory, but the pic looks like it supports it. [Wink]

Here's the real question I have: Does the Curry have a scond Excelsior shuttlebay at the rear?
That would support the whle "through deck carrier" idea at least.
All the schematics I've seen online of the ship either have it or dont, but I've found no studio model topview to definitely know. [Confused]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scott's Centaur-screenshots are now online.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Scott Nixon
Member # 540

- posted      Profile for Scott Nixon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A clarification for those that didn't realize it: The "Dom Cruiser" series of caps is from the 5th season episode "In Purgatory's Shadow." I thought it would be neat to do some caps of the cruiser in that episode (especially since they did a close pass of it) so that you guys could compare it to the cruiser that was used in later episodes.

Also, about the caps: I don't know why, but all the caps I generate are naturally dark. I decided to leave them that way so that people could save the caps as is and adjust the brightness and contrast to their own personal taste. So, for those that haven't yet, after you save the caps, play around with your brightness and contrast settings to reveal more detail in the pictures.

--------------------
"One person's modus ponens is someone else's modus tollens."

TheYoshinator
Member # 1066

- posted      Profile for TheYoshinator     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No offense to some who are convinced that things are the way they are 'supposed to be' in those shots...

It seems to me that there are rendering errors here. The Steamrunners seem to be missing the lower Saucer sections or have reversed normals. Either way its not rendering.

I also see that Akira doesn't have the deflector housing... but since you are dealing with CGI. The texture maps that would be on the deflector housing are passing on and are still impacting the lower saucer. Hence. the look that something is there.

Form is defined by light and shadow. The Steamrunners are like upside down empty bowls, but shouldn't be. Thats why the highlight is on the far side away from the light source and the shadows are close. As for the Akira, there are no highlights nor shadows of that Akira's def housing.

And there is NO giant miranda... Its just a compositing error. I wished people would stop justifying errors.

my 2 cents.

[Big Grin]

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Jack the brightness on you monitor to maximum and it looks like theres definitely something in there (not the deflector). I'm of the opinion that it's the clamshell shuttlebay from a constiution model thats been cut to size and inserted there.

Jason, all I interpreted it as was the coloration of the secondary hull. The large bluish swaths of detail evident on the secondary hull of the Excelsior.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

It would be inside the circular depression of the deflector dish....
I'll link in a line schematic...

Here's one! http://www.neutralzone.de/database/indexfra.htm

Look at the color schematic of the Curry and see the connie refit shuttlebay where the EXcelsior deflector would normally be.

Witch do you think it is Stephen?

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Nixon:
Also, about the caps: I don't know why, but all the caps I generate are naturally dark.

That's because the gamma levels on TV are different than on computer displays. I usually try raising the gamma to 1.2 and sometimes kick up the brightness and contrast up a notch as well.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Drooool*

I love the Centaur. Probably my favorite of the DS9 kitbashes.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

The Centaur sure is a fast SOB!
It would also be crazily overpowered for an older design: it's got all the engine power of an Excelsior but only about half the mass!
I too, love that ship.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps