Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » "Earth" starships from "Twilight" (Page 3)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: "Earth" starships from "Twilight"
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps the Intrepid is the often speculated NW-Class, the immediate predecessor to the NX.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

japol
Member # 1149

- posted      Profile for japol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dunno about that... however, what about that arrowhead shaped one: couldn't it be the "Neptune" class that Trip mentioned.

I have a problem with the name "NX" class anyway. It should really be "Enterprise" class. Traditionally ship classes are named for the first-of-class.

Although it could be "NX" class the same way that "Oliver Hazard Perry" class frigates in the US Navy are sometimes referred to as "FFG-7" class. But we know that the USS Excelsior was "NX-2000" until she was re-engineered... are we to suppose she is of the same class as the "NX-01 Enterprise"?

--------------------
I slit the sheet, the sheet I slit, and on the slitted sheet I sit.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
um.. the Excelsior isnt from the same Starfleet as ENT so it cant be expected to observe the same registry system.

Earth ships before the formation of the Federation obviously use a very different nomenclature.. J-class, Y-class, NX-class.. the Fleet obviously hasnt switched over to the latter day class name system seen in the Federation

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

japol
Member # 1149

- posted      Profile for japol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then what about the "Neptune" class Mr Smarty-Pants?
Huh?
Huh?
(Hee hee!) [Smile]

Of course, we are asking them to make some sort of sense... shame on us.

--------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The "Neptune class" was a bit weird, considering that they had just introduced us to the whole NX, J, Y class system.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

japol
Member # 1149

Well you know that Berman and Braga are the secret identities of Captain Continuity and his trusty sidekick Time Travel-Boy.

...sigh...

--------------------

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the British Navy Tradition, ships are given a letter class, like 'Y Class" or "B class" and the ships of the class all have names beginning with that letter and/or the theme of the class ship. For example, the B-class HMS Broadsword.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never had a problem with it being NX class. I think we're to assume the Enterprise's class designation got carried over to the Federation Starfleet in the registry scheme of experimental ships as some sort of homage.

But then they went and through the Neptune Class in the mix. I'm assuming it's not a Star Fleet vessel. Could be a civvy ship whose crew shop at the same chair store that Star Fleet does.

japol
Member # 1149

Ah...

Unfortunately there is a is a flaw in your supposition, Watson:

We know that the "Y" and "J" classes are civilian cargo ships that are registered with the Earth Cargo Service, not Starfleet. So "Neptune" doesn't fit that scheme either. We could suppose that the "Neptune"s predate Starfleet and were space probes launched under the auspices of the UESPA...

... but somehow I doubt Starfleet would have given "Enterprise" a command chair from ship that was THAT old.

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well 'civilian ships' is a VERY broad category to be making sweeping judgements based on just a small number of examples.
So far, the only no-Starfleet earth vessels we've seen in Enterprise are of the Earth Cargo Service, which from the name we can infer that it has some sort of affiliation with the Earth government.
We have yet to see privately owned ships, vessels owed by private companies etc. each of whom may have their own class designation system.
That said there are several other type of craft we know of from this period using letters and sometimes numbers too to designate class (see the 'Up The Long Ladder' list.)

As for the reason why the NX-01 isn't an 'Enterprise-Class' vessel; at this stage in history it seams that the old traditions of NASA are still in use. NASA being mainly formed by air force personnel, it carries allot of the air force's naming traditions, such as the dependence on alpha numeric designations for specific types of craft.
While it is true that most aircraft models have an official name (harrier, tomcat, tornado, Chinook), the primary means of recognition by those who use and manage these craft are still just combinations of letters and numbers.
Likewise with NASA's space craft and as it seems the 22nd century Starfleet and ECS vessels.

The reason for the switch in traditions is anyone's guess.
Perhaps it originates from Vulcan naming traditions and not the earth navies at all.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by japol:
... but somehow I doubt Starfleet would have given "Enterprise" a command chair from ship that was THAT old.

Not necessarily... I mean almost every GM vehicle shares the same seatbelt-- with small differences in it being inside or outside of the wall/door. So the chair could just be a one size fits all issue and they bought it from the manufacturer who just happened to be selling it to the guys who made the civilian ship class Neptune, which is a luxury liner class that takes people on pleasure cruises throughout the solar system as far out as Neptune.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

japol
Member # 1149

Interesting idea. I could be wrong... after all. It IS actually a bucket seat out of a Porsche. [Smile]

--------------------

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheWoozle:
In the British Navy Tradition, ships are given a letter class, like 'Y Class" or "B class" and the ships of the class all have names beginning with that letter and/or the theme of the class ship. For example, the B-class HMS Broadsword.

That's not entirely accurate; often, the RN will assign names within a particular batch of vessels with the same first letter. HMS Broadsword for example is a Broadsword class or Type 22 frigate and all batch 1 vessels in this calss have names beginning with B (Battleaxe, Brilliant, Brazen). The first 3 batch 2 vessels also have names beginning with B (Boxer, Beaver, Brave) while the last three of this batch are assigned names beginning with whatever the Navy though appropriate (London, Sheffield and Coventry). The third batch ships all begin with C (Cornwall, Cumberland, Chatham, Campbeltown).

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

japol
Member # 1149

Slightly off-topic on this:

Did you know that the call-signs of the helicopters on British cruisers and frigates are related to the ship whenever possible? For example: HMS Battleaxe's helo is "Hatchet" and HMS Brazen's is "Hussy".

--------------------

Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, so you read Tom Clancy too.

quote:
Originally posted by japol:
Slightly off-topic on this:

Did you know that the call-signs of the helicopters on British cruisers and frigates are related to the ship whenever possible? For example: HMS Battleaxe's helo is "Hatchet" and HMS Brazen's is "Hussy".

--------------------
Like A Bat Out Of Hell...

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps