Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » "Earth" starships from "Twilight" (Page 4)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: "Earth" starships from "Twilight"
japol
Member # 1149

- posted      Profile for japol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well not for a while, but yeah. That was a good book.

--------------------
I slit the sheet, the sheet I slit, and on the slitted sheet I sit.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HMS Beaver?
Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmmm...

--------------------
Like A Bat Out Of Hell...

japol
Member # 1149

- posted      Profile for japol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Brits have some really odd names left over from the heyday of shipbuilding in the late 18th and early 19th centuries.

On the other hand, would you really tremble in fear at the mere mention of the USS City of Corpus Christi (seriously).

--------------------

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You would if it where being escourted by the USS Corpus Christi.

Yes, they're two different ships (a Sub and a Ship, if memory serves).

I think, Los Angeles class boats are named "City OF..."

Never Know, the Neptune class might be of a line of ship classes, named for Mythology, instead of planets.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't care what the Neptune Class ships are named after... I just think their mission/use has something to that planet.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

japol
Member # 1149

They mentioned that "Neptune"s were surveyors or explorers or something like that.

--------------------

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, no. The LA class subs are not named USS "City of ..." They are just USS Los Angeles and so forth. And no, there is no USS Corpus Christi. The city and the US Navy did not want a warship with such a religious name. That is why it is instead USS City of Corpus Christi. A warship named after the city with the city, or course, named after the religious symbol. It is the only US Naval ship named USS "City of ..."

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On a reverse note, it's quite likely that a "Benares" will be launched some day, to be the namesake of the city, but nobody would bear the thought of launching another "City of Benares"...

I'm with the clique that says that the letter designations for classes are "official" or officious Starfleet parlance, whereas each ship class is also known by a "proper" name. Thus, NX class is Enterprise class, too. And I find it highly unlikely that TPTB would ever bother to contradict that particular line of thought.

Timo Saloniemi

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And thankfully, there's no "USS City of New Orleans" either... [Roll Eyes]
(I've heard that song, and it drives me nuts. Even if I do like "Alice's Restaurant"...)

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
USS Corpus Christi (PG-152 / PF-44)
http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-cp/history/PF44_Corpus_Christi.html

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Different times, different customs. They were churning out so many ships during the war, probably no-one had time to get offended by it before it was a done deal. And it only served about 3 years before decommissioning.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

japol
Member # 1149

quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
And thankfully, there's no "USS City of New Orleans" either... [Roll Eyes]
(I've heard that song, and it drives me nuts. Even if I do like "Alice's Restaurant"...)

... don't ya know me AAAHHM your na-tive son....

heh heh heh... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
Perhaps the Intrepid is the often speculated NW-Class, the immediate predecessor to the NX.

Here's a funny coincidence:-
I made this way back during the first season of Enterprise when people were speculating about the Class of the Shenandoah.
I just found it again while testing out the new Flare upload.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool. I vote the flying wing ship as the NU-Class. Because, that's why.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps