Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Enterprise-J on the ShipOfTheLine 2005 (Page 12)

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Enterprise-J on the ShipOfTheLine 2005
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahhh yes, but that picture annoyed me in that they clearly just copy and pasted two extra Warbirds. Every lighted window was the same and every subtle 'defect' and hull plating was the same - it just didn't look believeable.

And I really don't like the idea of the Warbird (D'Deridex Class) being around for the last 30-40 years!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FWIW, Mojo was going to fix that for UF, using some stuff Probert gave him to become "interm-era" warbirds. Perhaps Matt could find that stuff and use it..

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

MattC
Member # 1391

- posted      Profile for MattC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In regards to other ships, well, there's been some loose talk about getting around to those later. I'll see if anyone has the interim warbird stuff. It'll be somewhere round I guess.

M.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like in the trash! OH HO HO HO!

(Sorry.)

((Because, see, "somewhere round."))

Uh, I am thinking about buying this calendar, and I have not bought one, Star Trek themed or otherwise, for several years. So, uh, good job, calendar-makers.

MattC
Member # 1391

- posted      Profile for MattC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh, who knows...I'm not that motivated to do anymore Trek after these current lot are done..

On an earlier note, I had a look at some photo's John sent me of the Excelsior Refit, the coloured shapes appear ONLY on the Enterprise-B and not the Lakota.

M.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The S.S. Enterprise - 'ring ship' would be something VERY interesting and different to have in next year's calendar!!

And how come Mojo doesn't work on the Calendars anymore? What is he doing now?

--------------------

lennier1
Member # 1309

- posted      Profile for lennier1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MattC:
Heh, who knows...I'm not that motivated to do anymore Trek after these current lot are done..

On an earlier note, I had a look at some photo's John sent me of the Excelsior Refit, the coloured shapes appear ONLY on the Enterprise-B and not the Lakota.

M.

Well, there�s still more than enough color on the Lakota model (http://www.alltheweb.com/search?cat=img&cs=utf8&q=trek+lakota&rys=0).
I�ll never understand why the plating around deck 2 is modeled on some versions and painted on other versions (studio models and CGI models) like http://techspecs.acalltoduty.com/images/excelsior/excelsior6.jpg.
BTW: Was that Paul�s Sovvy mesh or another one a few pages ago?

--------------------
SFM Instructor

MattC
Member # 1391

Lennier: No, it was not Paul's Sovereign which is so inaccurate it's not funny. It's a completely new one. Constructed in LW.

In regards to the plating around deck 2, it's painted on the Excelsior, modeled on the Excelsior Refit. The profiles around there are actually quite different.

M.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do you mean when you say you're not motivated to do Trek stuff at the moment? Is it boredom with the genre as a whole, the less-than-inspiring nature of current Trek, or do you have more interesting things to do (personally or professionaly), or more exciting prospects on the horizon? If so, go for it! This lot will probably try to tell you otherwise, when they're not weaseling for a job that is. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

MattC
Member # 1391

Umm, because I've got so much of it, it now covers about 6GB's worth of Lightwave crap littering my HD. My professional career has nothing to do with this at all (I'm a subsea optical comms engineer).

Just would like to do some other stuff, like arch viz, aircraft perhaps, etc. to keep myself interested.

M.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
FWIW, Mojo was going to fix that for UF, using some stuff Probert gave him to become "interm-era" warbirds. Perhaps Matt could find that stuff and use it..

I personally would LOVE to see more from Probert (especially since it's more Romulan stuff), even if it was just a rough sketch. He definitely has a way with combining style and functionality. There isn't any way for Mojo to show it to us, is there?

B.J.

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Ahhh yes, but that picture annoyed me in that they clearly just copy and pasted two extra Warbirds. Every lighted window was the same and every subtle 'defect' and hull plating was the same - it just didn't look believeable.

And I really don't like the idea of the Warbird (D'Deridex Class) being around for the last 30-40 years!

Considdering the people doing this are just using whats available to them, copy and paste will be all that there will ever be, its not like they'd bother to do multiple Warbirds for TV.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sub-sea optical comms? OK, that affirms my faith in the general unfairness of the universe - he has a way more cooler job than anyone else here, AND he's really good at CGI and gets to do official Trek stuff. Everyone else here has McJobs and sucks in comparison. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

quote:
Originally posted by Captain Boh:
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:

Considdering the people doing this are just using whats available to them, copy and paste will be all that there will ever be, its not like they'd bother to do multiple Warbirds for TV.
For television it might work - for ships in the background that are moving etc. But we are talking about 'featured' ships in a piece of artwork - it was just sloppy. AND considering these things are being created on a COMPUTER - and not out of the physical molds and paints of a modeller - I see no reason why they CAN'T make two ships slightly different. Lighting different windows ISN'T hard. Slightly altering panel paint/weathering isn't hard either.

Copy and paste the original and then just touch up the copy to get a second ship.

--------------------

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Considdering all the little mistakes made, I doubt the artists are given alot of time. At least the bothered to turn some windows off at all.
  This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps