Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Enterprise-J on the ShipOfTheLine 2005 (Page 7)

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Enterprise-J on the ShipOfTheLine 2005
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A link to the large version of the file, courtesy of Resistance

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
E-J is beautiful indeed. And huge! If those bars are indeed rows of windows, it'll make the Galaxy saucer tiny by comparison.

Now, to start finding/ digging / bugging / bribing people for a view of the underside. Or at least a description of the same... [Wink]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it just me, or does the curve of the upper saucer seem so shallow as to be on-existent? Apart from the central bit (about a quarter of the radius, from where you can see running lights shining outwards providing illumination) which shows some dome-like properties. Perhaps the saucer shows greater curvature below than above (like, say, an Excelsior or Ambassador saucer flipped over). Mind you, the view we got from inside shows the underside as being quite flat as well. . .

http://flareupload.pleh.net/uploads/393/01_Carpet.jpg

That view seems to have been from part of the central section - but where might the under-dome you can see below located? If it's at the centre of the saucer ventral, then the sentral hammerhead section is only really prominent on the ventral surface. . .

http://flareupload.pleh.net/uploads/393/11_Nova.jpg

Also, the hammerhead section could suggest a more alien influence - Cardassian, Romulan and Klingon ships have all featured such a motif.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The window's position that archer/Daniels is looking out from suggests a steep secondary hull: not how far above then the saucer's ventral side is.

A big ship indeed.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I further think that the curvature of the dorsal hull is acceptable simply because the ship is so darn big. Recall the upper decks of the GCS... Even the lower ones had rather oblique angles.

Hey, is it possible that the hammerhead secion isn't even resing on the saucer? That the dorsal superstructure actually arcs OVER it for a part of the length, especially aftwards? The windows on the saucer seem to stop rather abruptly at the apparent intersection point.

Mark

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Altered gravity might lead "upwards" into quarters so that those windows are facing their inhabitants.
Just a small tweak to artificail gravity in the decks, really.

Also, while not terriblyy clear from my scan, there are formation lights (the ACL Red and green ones) at te saucer's edge that would be frankly, enourmous at that scale and the font for the ship's regisry is the same as the NX-01 and not Starfleet Bold Extended.

That's odd as the Relativity has the SBE font...

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow... I'd like to see a model made once the details of the model are released...

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, thanks to Jason Abbadon and Resistance:

Ships of the Line

Oh, and LARGE files...

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

MattC
Member # 1391

- posted      Profile for MattC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Assuming the details ever are....

M.

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
Hey, is it possible that the hammerhead secion isn't even resing on the saucer? That the dorsal superstructure actually arcs OVER it for a part of the length, especially aftwards? The windows on the saucer seem to stop rather abruptly at the apparent intersection point.

Mark

I got the same impression. At least it would make the side view of the vessel much more interesting. (There's probably a secondary hull somwhere below the saucer, I suppose some sort of Akira-style bubble.)

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think if the spine does in deed arc over the saucer, it would have to connect at the aft of the saucer somehow.

I wouldn't put too much trust in the details of the texture, though, either. It probably wasn't meant to be scrutinized.

Interestingly, there appears to be a starfleet medical logo on the shuttle flying over the Ent B in the Fleet Museum photo.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is that Kes' shuttle near the left edge of the E-D's saucer in the museum pic?

I noticed the medical logo on the Type-6 as well.

As for the E-J, I think that spine is completely attached to the saucer. It's just the semi-transparent glowy hemisphere in the middle that seems to be throwing people off. Plus, it doesn't look like it was rendered with shadow mapping turned on completely.

B.J.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and I absolutely love the ENT era Klingon BOP. It really looks like an old ship to me. Too bad we didn't see much of it. Maybe we'll get to see more of it in the future.

B.J.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

And the ship to the upper right (above the runabout) is the one Kes flew in "Fury", also seen elsewhere in Voyager. Other small craft include the ENT inspection pod and the VOY speedboat shuttle.

The museum is a great idea, though poorly executed. As fun as the name "Enterprise" is, I'd have liked a mishmash of other names even more - more realistic and practical. The DS9 image is good save for the naming thing (Mojo was just getting good at that, and I hope the new groups do too for 2006). The fans DO notice names and numbers!

Gotta remember though, this isn't like the other calendars, which are more often than not just someone searching through the photo archives and slapping together a relatively simple layout. For SOTL we've got artists doing actual work for the project - and I'm sure they're not doing it with a Hollywood budget. Little mistakes (like the GCS model that was relabeled "Challenger" for Voyager but the smaller labels were left as "Enterprise", as seen in TWO calendars) don't get corrected, since they'd never be seen on TV and the artist probably forgot about it in the first place. We can only hope that future calendars will slowly but surely fix these mistakes.

Mark

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The museum is a great idea, though poorly executed. As fun as the name 'Enterprise' is, I'd have liked a mishmash of other names even more - more realistic and practical."

Except, it wasn't meant to me "realistic". The entire point is that it's the Enterprises. If it were meant to be "realistic", they certainly couldn't have two E-nils, plus they'd have to leave it, the C, and the D out, since they were all destroyed before the E ever existed.

Oh, by the way, I count twenty decks just in the E-J's saucer's outer ring alone.

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps