Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Enterprise-J on the ShipOfTheLine 2005 (Page 6)

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Enterprise-J on the ShipOfTheLine 2005
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hot damn! I would have also added the secondary ventral phaser strip and an aft torpedo launcher. I wish they had this for DS9.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

MattC
Member # 1391

- posted      Profile for MattC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The torpedo launcher is there. It's recessed in the spine of the secondary hull. The ventral phaser strip was something we talked about a few times...and then thought 'screw it' since it wasn't on the construction drawings.

The machines of the time would've had a hard time rendering this thing in some reasonable time.

M.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I just bought the calendar tonight. And as for the Enterprise-J, all I have to say is...

WOW.

It is the most beautiful starship Trek has ever (not) seen. The display screen & the observation window where Archer & Daniels view the underside of the saucer does not do this ship justice.

It is very futuristic-looking while intentionally resembling the NX-01 as well. And it's amazing to see just how tremendously huge this ship is. Judging by the windows on the saucer, I'd say that the diameter of the saucer is larger than the ST:III Spacedock. On the subject of the saucer, contrary to some Internet "guesstimates" of the ship's design, the saucer looks nothing like either a Galaxy class or a Sovereign class saucer (although the deflector itself looks like a GCS one). The tube-shaped "spine" of the ship starts at the front of the saucer where the deflector is. Actually, although the deflector is attached to the front of the saucer, the spine leading from the deflector housing up to the nacelle struts looks like it hovers above the saucer but is not connected to it. Only when you get to the nacelle struts do you see where the spine wraps around to the saucer's underside (but what that underside looks like, barring the observation window shot, is still a mystery). The nacelle struts glow like the nacelles, & have some kind of wierd jagged grille effect & look almost organic. The nacelle Bussard collectors are orange, and the nacelles themselves are very thin and taper off at the ends.

The name & registry (NCC-1701-J) appear on top of the deflector housing. I'm not sure where the bridge is on this ship; the center of the saucer is just a huge glowing oval shape, I doubt it's the bridge. There is also a pod where the nacelle struts meet. That could be the bridge, but I'm guessing that the pod is supposed to be analagous to the NX-01's rear pod, housing the engine.

It also looks like Doug Drexler designed the ship, not John Eaves as was previously thought. Didn't we make that mistake with the NX-01 too?

All in all, a beautiful ship. Alhough I'm sure that some people here won't like it. [Roll Eyes]

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good God, please - is anyone willing to do a scan? In the frozen wastelands of Western Canada, we rarely get to see these things until November - if at all? I pray for mercy!

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...I'm guessing that the pod is supposed to be analagous to the NX-01's rear pod, housing the engine."

Hasn't the 01's warp core been pretty conclusively established as being in the saucer?

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup.

By the way, anyone remember this?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have excellent scans of seven months if someone wishes to host them and upload them.

One MAJOR disapointment: the cheesy fuckers ruined the DS9 image!!
The Miranda docked is the USS Reliant (with cooresponding registry)!
Idiots: did no one even glance at the calander for acuracy before printing it!?!
Even the most casual Trek fan knows where the Reliant comes from and that Khan was not tossing back some brews at Quark's before attacking the Enterprise.

Enterprise-J is bueatiful in the extreme.
The "nose is actually a nice looking deflector reminicent of both NX-01 nad the Galaxy.
THe nacelles seem to extend into the nacelle pylons: there's blue glowy warp plasma coming from them and leading into the nacelles.

The best image though is the Klingon BOP and Raptor hovering over the romanesque ruins of some besieged planet....it's as well rendered as anything onscreen to date.

I did not bother scanning the ISS image, The Defiant/Chaffe image (because who really cares?) the pic of NX-01 over some moon, the cover (because it kept jamming the scanner- it's a great image) or the pic of the TOS Enterprise (because it's not the conversion to TMP era as I'd hoped and because I ran out of memory in the scanner's buffer at work).

The Starfleet Museum is extremely disapoiinting: none of the ships are really in scale to each other (NX-01 is larger than the E's saucer), the Ambassador is inaccurate in several places (deflector being obvious), the B is not the Refit it should be (it's probably the same model as the Excelsior docked at DS9), and there's a tube full of people that either leads up to a dead end at the saucer of the C or they drilled a hole in the hull instead of attaching to a gangplank.

It should've been the high-point of the calander but it really falls short.

In all, well worth the $13 I paid at borders today and the best calandre since the first one.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

MattC
Member # 1391

- posted      Profile for MattC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jason,

The Ambassador and Excelsior-Refit stuff should be cleared up for the 2006 calendar. You're right, the Excelsior is the old DigitalMuse model which is a) not particularly accurate nor particularly detailed.

M.

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll put them up on my server if you like, you can send them to thehappy(a)thehappypill ca

I would like to see the TOS Enterprise one though

Resistance
Member # 1369

- posted      Profile for Resistance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Enterprise-J

--------------------
Homepage - www.Joseralat.com

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Finally!

Thank you very much. [Smile]

... Those are very weird looking windows. Well, at least most of the crewmembers can lie in bed and gaze into the stars without wondering what happened to the ceiling [Smile]

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The bussards almost look like the have a TOS thing going on
Resistance
Member # 1369

- posted      Profile for Resistance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Thank Jason Abbadon

This damn server has 5mb bandwidth limit.. I'm trying to ask a friend to host a larger version.
Its cool to see that Doug Drexler made it.To me it has a feel of the NX-Enterprise

--------------------
Homepage - www.Joseralat.com

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No sweat: I may still get to scan the others but the cover is impossible without taking apart the calander (and I'm thading that for two NX-01 models so...)

On the "J", not the blue deflector crystal thingie at the ship's raer: it must be huuuuuge!
...how large do you guys place this ship at?
Definitly not "spacedock sized" as some speculated but it looks largert that a Galaxys saucer too...

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by Captain Boh:
I'll put them up on my server if you like, you can send them to thehappy(a)thehappypill ca

I would like to see the TOS Enterprise one though

I'll kick them over to you as well.
That Reliant thing still burns my ass...
I think I'll photoshop "Sitak" there instead and make a print for my wall....

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  11  12  13   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps