Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$Cold to the Tech! ["Cold Station 12" Spoilers] (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: $$Cold to the Tech! ["Cold Station 12" Spoilers]
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I can't be trusted for a groan-able pun EVERY week. [Razz] Things to look out for:

-A fusion of human and Denobulan tech. This is a jointly-run research outpost, but the preview clips seem to indicate it's mostly human in design. Look also for a new patch on the CS-12 crew's uniforms and lab coats.

-Flashbacks of Soong raising the Augments. It looks like the place was actually rather pleasant; why was everyone so eager to get off of "this rock"?

-Any other upgrades to Enterprise. While her maneuverability has never really been in doubt (mostly thanks to CGI, she's probably on par with Defiant and leagues ahead of the graceful sweeps of her descendants), the asteroid field battle this week is something we should be able to pick apart.

-Likewise, this BoP's capabilities. we've seen her in battle every epsiode we see the model, but how GOOD is she against Enterprise when not flying around inside an Expanse or something?

-What are the Klingons up to? Are they searchign for their ship as well? Or are they simply waiting to blame the humans for it as an excuse to start a war?

Mark

[ November 08, 2004, 04:38 AM: Message edited by: Timo ]

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well if you are looking for bad puns, thinking back to the odd placement of "tech" last week, you could have named it: $$Cold to the Tech [Touch]! ["Cold Station 12" Spoilers]. [Razz]

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is indeed superior. Unfortunately, the time has elapsed for me to be able to edit the title. Perchance a mod be able to change it instead?

Mark

--------------------

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How tight is the edit window now anyway - apparently <2 hrs?

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two hours, if I remember correctly. After that, only an administrator or a moderator of that particular forum can make an edit.

As for "Cold Station 12"
  • We have the return of the triangular screen.
  • I'm getting the impression that the starboard nacelle is cursed. Isn't it the one always get messed up in an attack?
  • Cold Station 12 sure doesn't look like it's anything but human tech, though. I wonder if the Denobulan tech is the actual sensor and cryogenic equipment.
  • At least we know now why the genetically engineered embryos still exist: the pro-life crowd is still around.
  • Why does the lab have tubes capable of containing a human that can also have deadly pathogens pumped into them?
  • Poor Dr. Redshirt would have lived had he been chummier with Dr. Lucas.
  • Some of the corridors on Cold Station 12 have a Cardassian feel to them. I think it was the circular designs embossed on them.
  • The ending reminds me of The Andromeda Strain.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Decent continuation - we see the change in Soong to become somewhat less bloodthirsty, while the Augments only become moreso. I'd have liked Smike to hang around for a bit longer...

-The home movies that Archer discovered are strangely low-res. I mean, it's the FUTURE. They haven't developped a better digital video camera in 150 years? Perhaps it's something one of hte Augments developped on their own?

-ARGH! That damned movie prop with the lights that go back and forth is even in THIS century! And whatever the hell it is, it's on BOTH the Augment's colony AND CS12!

-While being twice as intelligent as normal human, and despite not having a proper dress sentence as a genetic trait, the Augments thought ahead at least enough to bring some bedding with them. The cabin we see is rather lavish.

-And speaking of clothing, how does the generic jumpsuit Smike gets size up to the one Sim got last year?

-Y'know, it's kinda wierd seeing the older stock shots of Enterprise when she's not all smashed up. It's been over a year, and we've missed her.

-Dr. Phlox is approaching another hibernation cycle. I'm sure this has been mentioned before, no? But it's certainly been a while, and I wonder if it's either just a long Denobulan year, or he took a nap in the Expanse when people weren't looking.

-They smush SIX people into the single transporter chamber. There's nothing really wrong with that, but that they've got the same capacity as the much larger TOS chamber is worth mentioning.

-It took three blasts from a phase pistol to disable that Augment. Given the newness of the weapon, what genetic tinkering did the 20th century have in mind when they did that?

-It's a good thing the agonizer booth they used to kill the scientist was big enough for one person. But since I'm sure they dodn't REGULARLY expose humanoids to pathogens and other airborne bugs, one wonders what those things are for in the first place.

-TELLURIAN PLAGUE?!

-We see the shuttlebay on the BoP! I'm willing to bet money that it wasn't part of the design, but was added to the model when it became necessary.

Mark

--------------------

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its probably the way stun effects a human that just happens to not be as effective.
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
Decent continuation - we see the change in Soong to become somewhat less bloodthirsty, while the Augments only become moreso. I'd have liked Smike to hang around for a bit longer...

I wonder how Soong is going to react to the truth about Malik's death (because you know there's going to be a huge reveal in the conclusion), about Lokesh killing Smike out of "mercy," about Lokesh bringing along the pathogens (and I'm already seeing a potential ending for the conclusion here), and about Lokesh setting the lab to kill everyone aboard.

quote:
-ARGH! That damned movie prop with the lights that go back and forth is even in THIS century! And whatever the hell it is, it's on BOTH the Augment's colony AND CS12!
On the plus side, at least we never see it in The Original Series.

quote:
-They smush SIX people into the single transporter chamber. There's nothing really wrong with that, but that they've got the same capacity as the much larger TOS chamber is worth mentioning.
<hijack>I've had a theory ever since "Strange New World" that the pad set-up of the Enterprise is part of the reason for transporter psychosis. I never got it detailed, but the jist of it was that it reads the entire load as one big pattern and that that along with whatever compression protocol the computer uses screws with chemical balances in the passenger's brains. It also explains why personnel transporters from TOS on have noticeably seperate pads for people to stand on.</hijack>

quote:
-It took three blasts from a phase pistol to disable that Augment. Given the newness of the weapon, what genetic tinkering did the 20th century have in mind when they did that?
I had assumed that this was something Soong programmed into them when he augmented the genetically engineered embryos.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great ep! Can't wait for the conclusion!

-- We start out with a history lesson given by Soong to his "children," eleven years earlier on Trialas. He talks about how the Eugenics Wars "devastated Earth." And how no one is sure whether the Augments or the humans started it. He doesn't mention Khan and cohorts simultaneously seizing control of 40 nations. I suppose records of the period must be fragmentary. [Smile]

-- There was a protein resequencer at the Trialas facility. So they had those at least as far back as the 2130s, when Soong took the Augments there. Not all that new.

-- I wonder where Udar ("Smike," in reference to Dickens' Nicholas Nickleby) got that dangerous-looking knife he brandished at Archer and company. Did Raakin have them making weapons? I wouldn't haved thought Soong would encourage that.

-- Persis is quite hot, I must say.

-- The Denobulan medical shuttle Barzai (a fairly cool new design) is lured into the clutches of the Augments' BoP by a false transmission in which they claim to be the cargo ship Corsair, suffering from a reactor leak causing ten crewmen to be exposed to delta radiation. (Is this the same stuff that got Pike?)

-- They call the station C-12, not CS-12. And the exterior shots of it are really pretty.

-- Did I mention that Persis was H-O-T???

-- The station had been on "hieghtened alert" before the arrival of Soong and the Augments, once they get there they go on "Code Black." (I might comment, but now that Bush has been re-elected I'd better not...)

-- So apparently the Augments weren't engineered by direct DNA recombination or other entirely-artificial means like that. (Actually, this is in line with Spock's "selective breeding" line, though I'm not sure this actually qualifies as "genetic engineering.") They have mothers and fathers. Smike's were a geophysicist named Miklos Karlovassi and and an Olympic silver medalist named Irina.

-- While 30 million was the official death toll for the Eugenics Wars, some historians say it was actually closer to 35 million. (No doubt that by the next century, it'll have been upped again to 37 million. [Wink] )

-- Henry Archer suffered from Clarke's sydrome, a degenerative brain disorder causing frequent pain, hallucinations, and trouble recognizing familiars in its later stages. He died of it when Jonathan was 12. (What do we figure that as, again?) Anyway, interesting and poignant footnote in the biography of the designer of the Warp Five Engine.

-- Nice close view of the Klingon disrupter prop. Looks farily fitting as a precursor to the sonic pistols of the 2260s.

-- I'm starting to appreciate the TOS-y "psychedelic" transporter makeover. (Mark: I think the only reason the TOS 'porter had a limit of six was because there were six individual pads. [ie, if there had been seven, you could have beamed seven.] There is just one big pad on the NX-01's, so you can beam as many as can fit on the pad.)

-- The disease the C-12 doctor was exposed to was Symbalene blood burn, which causes the vascular lining to boil away. Sound (and looks) unpleasant.

-- Soong's mother was a chemist.

-- Smike does have one augmented ability, enhanced hearing.

-- Archer pulls a classic Kirk maneuver (see TOS "A Taste of Armageddon") and gives T'Pol conditional orders beforehand to initiate the station's auto-destruct sequence on command, then hurriedly gives that command while Soong is on the comm with her. I really enjoyed that. Unfortunately, it didn't work.

-- Nice view of the 1800 other embryos.

-- Telurian plague, not Terellian. [Razz]

-- Malik says he's going to shut down all the stasis fields on the station. But if he shuts ALL of them down, won't that release both the pathogens AND the antipathogens, thus cancelling eachother out??? [Confused]

Not very genius-like of him.

DOH! [Embarrassed]

And that's all, folks.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

P.S.

Oh boy, the trailer for next week's ep threatens a "biological terror attack." Can I just take this opportunity to say [Roll Eyes] ?

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

I'm sure there's probably a bunch of stuff they have there that has no cure... While some stuff will be cancelled out, there's probably an incurable strain of the whooping cough in there that'll kill everyone off at the beginning of the next episode.

Mark

--------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
- 1800+ embryos. Yikes! This must be a top-top-secret facility. Because Kirk & co. were convinced that the ~80 supermen on the Botany Bay were all there ever were.

- That Augment can program an algorithm for computing all possible hexadecimal numbers... what a fucking genius!

- Did we see that Klingon disruptor before? It's a powerdrill!

- The Lucas torture scene was disturbing. He's a nice guy. Seeing him covered in blood is... wrong.

- Was Soong actually torturing a former collegue of him?

- The diseases listed on the inventory where:
- Xenopolycythemia (TOS: "For the World is...")
- Synthococcus novae type A (TOS: "The Way to Eden")
- Rigelian fever (TOS: "Requiem for Methuselah")
- Tellurian plague (TNG: "A Matter of Time")
- Anchilles fever (TNG: "Code of Honor")
- Andronesian encephalitis (TNG: "The Dauphin")

- New and returning uniforms: The CS12 scientists are probably with Starfleet. Anyway, they're possibly wearing the Nazi labcoats from the season's premiere. Smike is seen wearing what looks like the same Starfleet fatigue (?) as Sim.

- Karlovassi is a Greek name. So Smike is originally half-Greek half-stereotypical Russian athlete.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone has any tips regarding screencaps? My favourite fotopic has been ordered by paramount to stop posting episode pics. He had such great caps, good quality and size.

Damn, I would like to see cold station 12, the denobulan shuttle and other tech thingies..

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paramount broadcasts in digital format and then expects people NOT to make crystal clear screenshots? Or is it just that fotopic and/or that particular user claimed copyright or somesuch legal crap?

--------------------

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no idea, but it sucks! I heard rumours that fotopic isn�t the only site to have recieved nasty letters from lawyers...

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

Screenshots.

And was it me, or was the Soong-in-embryo-chamber scene rather badly done, bluescreen-wise? There were very clear matting lines...

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps