Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Nebula Class Corridors (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Nebula Class Corridors
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was watching "Second Sight" DS9 last night and I noticed something on the Nebula Class Prometheus. Besides the obvious issues of "where's the Captain" and "Is this a Starfleet ship or not?", there is something odd about the doorways and corridors. This ship has the first known examples of the submarine style doors that are currently seen aboard the Defiant. The doorways are basically just big ovals in the walls and have a rim along the floor making it impossible for anything with wheels on it to pass through the doorway. The doors themselves also appear to be basically the same as the ones that would later appear on the Defiant.

Does anyone have an opinion on what, at the time, was a design change in starship design. I suppose it's possible that the corridors we saw in that ep were in the swappable mission pod above the saucer. That might explain why the internal configuration was different from the Galaxy type interiors. Although I would think that on a science ship, that pod would be a sensor pod or something else for reasearch.

Comments?

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't we also see similar doors or hatches on the Erewon Class ship - that had crash landed on that planet in "Paradise"?

Was that before or after Second Sight?

------------------
"All the lonely people, where do they all come from" - Eleanor Rigby, The Beatles.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There were no doors on that ship cause the psycho chick had them all taken out but the hatches may have been of that type, I can't remember. But this was not a Starfleet ship.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was "Second Sight" in the third season? This would explain that no suited starship sets were available. Anyway, I don't understand why the Galaxy sets were not used for the Phoenix and the Sutherland during TNG.

------------------
"Naomi Wildman, sub-unit of Ensign Samantha Wildman, state your intentions." (VOY: "Infinite Regress")

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Second Sight" was 2nd Season, so they could, technically have shot the dinner sequence in the Galaxy observation lounge! (Which would have been sweet) Alas, I expect the set was being used by TNG too much of the time, so they refitted the runabout aft section set from Timescape and used that.

------------------
"I cannot live out that life.
That man is bereft of passion... and imagination!
That is not who I am!"

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Seriously? Did they really use the runabout set? I'll have to go back and see if I can pick that up.

I suppose you could argue that the submarine doors are an older more militaristic design that were used on the Nebulas before the Galaxies were made.

------------------

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The USS Honshu had the same design, with Defiant-style hallfways and doorways (even the same carpeting)

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

Justin_Timberland
Member # 236

- posted      Profile for Justin_Timberland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure the door signs on the Honshu said USS Defiant on them.

------------------
Sometimes I run
Sometimes I hide
Sometimes I'm scared of you
But all I really want is to hold you tight
Treat you right, be with you day and night
Baby all I need is time

-Britney Spears

Starbuck
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Starbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AFAIK, the Nebula in that episode where Sisko and Dukat are trapped together had Defiant-type corridors. Not sure about the brig though.

------------------
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

So maybe Nebbies had this corridor design all along? We've never really seen the inside of one except for the bridges and the corridors mentioned here already.

I can think of another corridor type that I've always wondered about: The ship that brought Sisko and Jake to the station in "Emissary". When they left the holodeck and looked out the window at the station for the first time, the corridors didn't seem very familiar (it was purposefully supposed to NOT look like the Enterprise) or very Starfleet.

And Starbuck, where did you come up with that hilarious signature?

------------------

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't understand this desire to disguise corridors like that. A corridor is a corridor. If there's any logic, it would be that most corridors are like Voyager's, simple functional with panels concealing technostuff and cupboards. As you ascend the scale to ships with civilians like nebulas and galaxies the corridors become wider, more lushly decorated and lit. At the top is the Sovereign, which should make you feel (as it does ) that you are aboard a royal yacht. Mmmm burgundy capets, wood trim, golden doorsigns....

------------------
"I cannot live out that life.
That man is bereft of passion... and imagination!
That is not who I am!"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1.I'm sure even with out the Doors that we saw those hatch type doors, and even though it wasn't Starfleet it was a Federation ship...

2.I've often wondered what the ship that the Sisko's were on... it had a rectangular window, right next to a holodeck... the holodeck squares were smaller than the E-D's the colour scheme was Grey not Brown... It wasn't the E-D since O'Brien and the Enterprise had already gotten there... it wasn't the Oberth that Jadzia and Julian arrived on, that arrived later... the ship that the Sisko's arrived on was never shown. I asked this very same question to Rick S. and Mike O. on r.a.s.t but - they didn't really work out what ship it was supposed to be.

3.We never did see the aft compartment of the Danube class again, except we did see Jake looking out of the large windows in "The Visitor" - was this a quick and dirty mock-up - or was the set still around?

4. Did anyone notice the Sao Paulo/Defiant A's corridors and carpets in Sloane's head?

Andrew

------------------
"All the lonely people, where do they all come from" - Eleanor Rigby, The Beatles.

[This message has been edited by AndrewR (edited January 11, 2000).]

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

AndrewR: I don't ever remember Jake being on a runabout in "The Visitor". Oh, unless it was when the Fed aboandoned the station to the Klingons. Was that it?

Montgomery: If anything, the Sovereign is less luxurious than the Galaxy or Nebula. The corridors seem to be just as wide, but there are textured metal decks at least in some areas and there is no evidense that there are families aboard. The Sovy class doesn't even have as much internal volume as the Galaxy or Nebula. If you want hotel style luxury, go for the Galaxy. Couches and lounges in the corridors, a conference lounge every five meters...

------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Sovereign probably has very nice areas, but only the places that would be used in their diplomatic functions (like that meeting room in Insurrection). The parts of the ship that are only ever going to be seen by the crew have the metal floors, etc.

BTW, I know it doesn't mean anything, but the ship that took Sisko and son to DS9 always struck me as being an Ambassador. I don't know why; it's just the class I always think of when I think of that ship.

------------------
"The Earl of Sandwich invented the sandwich. Samuel Morse invented the Morse Code. Plato invented the plate."
-Holly, Red Dwarf: "Parallel Universe"

Justin_Timberland
Member # 236

- posted      Profile for Justin_Timberland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could the ship that Sisko and Jake were on was a Sydney Class transport ship?

------------------
Sometimes I run
Sometimes I hide
Sometimes I'm scared of you
But all I really want is to hold you tight
Treat you right, be with you day and night
Baby all I need is time

-Britney Spears

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps