Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Peregrine.....again!!! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Peregrine.....again!!!
bear
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a possibility, maybe is Peregrine is less of a specific class designation,and more of manufacturing designation. For example, 7 once called the Maqui raide a liberty class something or other, so you could call it a Liberty class Peregrine. I personally love the idea of having a manufacturer of civilian space craft like the peregrine with hundreds of models of all different sizes and capabilities. The fighter could be a high end model specifically designed at starfleets request, and the raiders were designed for a more function and practical purpose of courier or fast civilian transport. They all have the a similar design, so is it too much of a stretch to contemplate them all being Peregrines?
Any Thoughts?

------------------
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/9268/index.html

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So "Peregrine" would be similar to "Runabout" or "Dreadnought" - a word whose direct English translation means something but whose usage in naval or Starfleet language is something else altogether? Just like Dreadnought is a big proto-battleship (or in the Trek context a three-nacelled big warship), and Runabout is a speedboat, Peregrine would be a courier?

This might work. But it doesn't sound natural. I mean, there already exists the term "courier" in Starfleet parlance: no competing word is needed to portray the concept. And "Peregrine class modified courier" would be redundant - "courier class modified courier"! Even if we chose other meanings for the term, like Peregrine=fast transport or Peregrine=clipper or
Peregrine=cutter or Peregrine=ship-to-be-used-for-rebellions, the expression "Peregrine class courier" would be rather nonsensical.

I'd be happier with the idea that Peregrine is a standard class name just like Constitution or Galaxy or Danube. We already have enough of a headache from the Antares class, another name that gets assigned to multiple designs (heck, including Chakotay's ship!).

Timo Saloniemi

bear
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Timo: More of a description for all ships made by the Peregrine bureau, or what ever manufacture produces that type of craft. The idea is that they all are Peregrines by name , but the difference are their models. Given a larger Peregrine, it might become know as a Liberty class Peregrine, so a class name is used instead of a model number. Cessna' I believe produces many different aircraft , but all retain the name Cessna with the only different being a model number. All ships produced by this production organization would be similar enough to be referred to as Peregrines.

------------------

[This message has been edited by bear (edited January 18, 2000).]

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"For example, 7 once called the Maqui raide a liberty class something or other,"

Actually, that was just in a non-canon book...it called Chakotay's ship the Liberty, and Antares-class, which doesn't make sense (especially since the ship was called the "Zola" in an early draft of "Parallax").

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"I can't remember stuff." - John Linnell

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Bonecrusher I was talking about the big one from "Caretaker" which was stemming from the landing comment about the smaller version... but the landing/folding wings thing could apply to both... I was just saying that the "ribs" that are attached to the top end of the wings - closest to the body of the ship look like those corrogated ribs things on the Klingon BOP - seen in ST:III et al.

Andrew

------------------
"All the lonely people, where do they all come from" - Eleanor Rigby, The Beatles.

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just noticed something I could use on another tread, does someone have a side view of Chakotay's ship?

------------------
"Reality is a condition that occurs because of a lack of alcohol."
- Albert Einstein

(-=\V/=-)

[This message has been edited by Altair (edited January 19, 2000).]

bear
Member # 124

Does anybody have a Maqui raider schematic that they would let me use as a reference on my webpage?

------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bear, try this link to Star Ship Schematics...
http://www.shipschematics.net/

hope you find what you need

Andrew

------------------
"All the lonely people, where do they all come from" - Eleanor Rigby, The Beatles.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

http://www.shipschematics.net/startrek/images/federation/fighter_raider.jpg

I think this is what you're looking for, Bear.

Andrew

------------------

bear
Member # 124

Thanks everybody. I should have the raider finished in a couple of days.

------------------

bear
Member # 124

Ok, does anybody have a good idea of the raiders general specifications?
For example, production base, performance dimensions, mass, armament, etc.
Note: the more conservative the better
Oh, I am also looking for a master system display, or internal view of the raider. I realize the MSD probably doesn't exist, but I figure I would ask anyway.

------------------

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only internal stuff we've seen on any variants is the cockpit.

But I did find schematics on The Vorlon's page:
http://sapphireeclipse.virtualave.net/Schematics/Schematics.html

------------------
- Albert Einstein

(-=\V/=-)

bear
Member # 124

I guess I will have to manufacture some technobable, and I'll post it here to see what you guys think.

Altar: what do you think some general specifications of the raider and the peregrine.

Type
Dimensions
Mass
Armament
Max warp
Etc.

Speculation?

I'll have to ask Vorlon for permission to use his graphic for a reference. Do you think he will let me?
------------------

[This message has been edited by bear (edited January 21, 2000).]

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have size figures for all three offending articles. Will post 'em later.

------------------
The above post was mulled-over, composed, and posted during time Tom would have better spent on his plethora of homework and homework-related exercises. Now don't you feel special?

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

OK, this is what I THINK:

Chakotay's ship (before Maquis enhancements):
Type: Civilian ship/Courier
Dimensions: About 80 meters long
Mass: Don't know, and frankly, don't care.
Armament:
- Civilian ship: probably only the wing-tip phasers
- Courier: some 4-6 phasers and 4 torpedo launchers

Note: I think this is the Peregrine, because the Peregrine was called a courier. Also this ship can be a very good civilian ship. And Sisko said the Maquis used civilian ships that were refitted with weapons.

Fighter as seen in DS9 battles:
Type: Attack Fighter
Dimensions: About 30 metres long
Age: About the same age as the Courier, given the similaurities in design.
Armament:
- 1 phaser under the nose
- 2 times 3 phaser cannons on the wings (you can see them on the picture, they probably shoot in sequence, not at the same time)
- 1 or 2 forward torpedo launchers
- maybe a few extra phasers poining in other directions
Comments: This ship has probably got close to no internal 'walkable' space. Maybe a small cargo hold, or some sleeping facility, but the rest is most likely used for machines like the power core.
Note: These ships have ALWAYS been refered to as Attack Fighters, even by the Cardasians! This and the lack of proper internal cargo space to be called a Courier to me is enough evidents that this is NOT the Peregrine.

Ro's ship seen in the TNG episode 'Preemptive Strike':
Variant of the Attack Fighter, because the cockpit is the same size.

Academy Trainer:
I think that side view seen in part 1 of this tread is of the Fighter. This is wat the Trainer looks like:

------------------
- Albert Einstein

(-=\V/=-)

[This message has been edited by Altair (edited January 21, 2000).]

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps