Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Peregrine.....again!!! (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Peregrine.....again!!!
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought the internal configuration you came up with was pretty nice too. I think it fits well with that size of ship.

Consider the possibility though, that this ship might have a horizontal warp core like the Danube class.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

bear
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am glad you thought of the that, I was wondering that as well, so in the second draft I will change the core to horizontal configuration.

------------------
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/9268/index.html

bear
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aban: I changed the orientation of the core. Is the placement of the anti-matter pods above the core incorrect? I was trying to make them easy to access and remove if the need should a rise.

Andrew: I change the Summary a little, but it still is only my second draft, so your going to have to bear with me.

Note: Oh,you might have to empty you cache to view the changes.

------------------

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Better late than never:

Chakotay's type ship was used several times in DS9, most of them were Eddingtons ships.

------------------
"Reality is a condition that occurs because of a lack of alcohol."
- Albert Einstein

(-=\V/=-)

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's almost complusory for me to post this link in every thread about the Peregrine.

http://steve.pugh.net/fleet/peregrine.html.

------------------
-->Identity Crisis<--

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bear: Me like! I may be wrong about this (and I'll have to look at the Danube specs again) but do the matter and antimatter pods have to be at the tips of the warp core? I always thought that they did so that the pods could feed directly into the injectors. But yes, the antimatter pods should be along the outer hull so as to be ejectable in the event of a containment breach.

I love the idea of having ladders all over the engine room (it appears that you have noted a few of these in your MSD). Man I want to see the inside of one of these puppies now!!

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

bear
Member # 124

Steve: I am going with all proposed designs as Peregrines. I am willing to be wrong to appease both camps, and I will put a disclaimer under the class logo on the opening frame which notes the disparity of these ships, than a link to you view

------------------

[This message has been edited by bear (edited January 25, 2000).]

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing is, Peregrine was said to be a class, not a general umbrella term for a whole pile of different shaped smallcraft. It's one or none of the proposed designs, but not all...

------------------
The above post was mulled-over, composed, and posted during time Tom would have better spent on his plethora of homework and homework-related exercises. Now don't you feel special?

bear
Member # 124

OK, Tom I am not going to debate with you over some passing statements that was said off hand with little or no clarity. I came to my conclusion by realizing that class doesn't necessarily mean a specific design with no variations. The three designs addressed as Peregrines were sufficiently different from standard Starfleet vessel to warrant the assumption that they were not produced by Starfleet. While this in itself is a rather large assumption, the idea of a civilian manufacture gives credence to the idea of a space faring society that doesn't depend solely on Starfleet for transportation. Assuming that the first peregrine design was launch during or after the Cardassian wars, it is not impossible to believe that since many many variation have been produced. Production of these vessels would be huge in comparison to starships, and with so many ships being produced its possible that the need for more tailored configuration, arose eventually leading to completely different models. Because of their size, large numbers of vessels in use, and the personal mentality of their owners, the need for distinctions by Starfleet became insignificant.

"I got a Ford." (manly sniffs and pulls up his pants)
"What do you got?"

------------------

bear
Member # 124

Update

Flash required http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/9268/raidertac.html

------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I believe that the Peregrine is a single class in the normal sense, I feel that, for the sake of completeness, I should point out that there have been instances in the past of the term "class" being used for what we would probably call "types" or even "classifications". For example, the "Starship Class" of the E-nil's dedication plaque. Didn't someone even once use the term "runabout class"?

------------------
Col. Maybourne: "Teal'c... It's good to see you well."
Teal'c: "In my culture, I would be well within my rights to dismember you."
-Stargate SG-1: "Touchstone"

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC Sisko said "runabout class" in "Emissary".

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, Tears of the Prophets)
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did Picard speak of both Galaxy class and Explorer class in "Farpoint"?

It would seem that class indeed is used for "type"
as well. Yet, I have difficulty believing that Chakotay's/Eddington's big ship would be of the same type the small "The Maquis pt II" ships/"Sacrifice of Angels" interceptors, or the craft flown by Lt.Ro in "Preemptive Strike", represent.

Some of the Maquis craft are clearly of "courier type" or "auxiliary courier type" (both are mentioned explicitly). Some might be of "raider type", too. What other "types" could we assign to the Maquis designs?

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bear, do you have any other MSDs that you've done?

Andrew

------------------
"...it might be easier to study
ancient societies from distant orbit than it might be to sit next to the
Guardian of Forever with a tricorder." - Baloo, January 2000

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Cool and cool! I love how the wing appears when the mouse rolls over it. Very cool!

I can totally picture a set design based on your engine room. I envision a raised semi rounded division in the floor with the blue glowing sections of the warp core pulsing into the middle. Then towards the back of the room, the plasma conduits would break off. They'd be slightly smaller and red. Maybe a "balcony" deck above the core with lots of grated flooring and ladders!

------------------

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps