Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Wolf 359 - the next round (Page 16)

This topic comprises 26 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  24  25  26   
Author Topic: Wolf 359 - the next round
bear
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe how long this thread has been going.
Holy cow..... I think there should be a dedicated page for this thread.

------------------
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/9268/index.html

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Umm, the Saratoga, Bellerophon, and Bonestell were all seen in Emissary, not BoBW; therefore that piece of wreckage didn't come from those ships. It's probably just some Greg Jein-produced random wreckage.

------------------
Captain Tenille: "Oh, Simpson, you're like the son I never had."
Homer: "And you're like the father I never visit."

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank, if you consider 2000 as the last year of the 20th century, then you only have to send one card. OTOH, if you think 2000 is part of the 21st century, you'll be sending cards until either he or you dies, which ever comes first.

------------------
7 alarm clock: "Do not touch me."
Dilbert: "Then how do I turn you off?"
7: "Believe me, I am plenty turned off."

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I never intended to ever send more than one card.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Tetris is, and this is fact people, confirmed by the Rand Corporation; fifteen thousand times more addictive than crack. I spent three years in a Tetris-induced haze, barely eating, wandering the streets panhandling for Gameboy batteries." - Simon Sizer

spyone
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that this thread need both a shrine and a permanant home. I do not, however, volunteer to host either. I will, however, provide a link on my site to the shrine and advertise it in other forums.

------------------
You're a Starfleet Officer. "Weird" is part of the job.

IP: Logged
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank: I think a virtual greeting card might do. But it has to be custom designed and approved of in this forum.

------------------
"Species 5618, human. Warp-capable, origin grid 325, physiology inefficient, below average cranium capacity, minimum redundant systems, limited regenerative abilities."
Ex Astris Scientia

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! You really should put this on a website or let it become a seperate board or something. I am just going to add my two cents for the post that is history in the making.

Possibly why we haven't seen the Saratoga's, Bellerphon's and Bonestall's is because this fight was fought in a long distance. With the fleet chasing the cube down and cube just destroys each one like swatting a fly. In a effect leaving a trail-like wreckage in Wolf 359. What we saw in the Emmissary is probably the first attack on the Borg cube. What we saw in BoBW was probably towards the middle of the battle.

Now if Starfleet used a 'flying wall' tactic or kamakazi tactic we would not see Picard anymore.

------------------
It is better to walk the path of the devil than to be in the path of the devil. Though it still might not be the right path.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Starfleet tried the "damn the torpedos, full speed ahead" approach with the Mars Defense Perimeter. As I recall, it didn't quite work.

------------------
But the dead only quickly decay. They don't go about being born and reborn and rising and falling like souffle. The dead only quickly decay.
--
Gothic Archies
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! For the love of God, Montressor!

Fructose
Member # 309

- posted      Profile for Fructose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And there were a whole two rather smallish ships. I think a fleet of 40 larger ships would have worked a little better. But I doubt it.

------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't know what you're doing as long as you look good doing it.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, there were actually three of the midget vessels: Starfleet doesn't hold back when the future of Earth is at stake...

One thing that has been puzzling me about the effort of identifying BoBW shipwrecks:

Did we ever conclusively see the old Ralph McQuarrie ship (Enterprise study model for the abortive pre-TMP, pre-Phase II movie project) at Wolf 359? Or are we just assuming it must have been there since it was so clearly seen in Unification, among all those other reuses of BoBW wreckage footage? I've been unable to spot the ship in any of the BoBW screencaps, but I don't have a good-quality BoBW tape so I can't vouch that there isn't a scene that would feature it.

I'd be far happier if the ship was only present at Qualor II. Everything in it reeks of TOS or pre-TOS: the nacelle shapes, the saucer shapes, surface color, decaling... An antiquity from the good old days of pre-TOS would credibly be present at the Qualor junkyard, but not so credibly bolstering Earth's final line of defence in 2367.

Timo Saloniemi

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Starfleet never had a really sound defense perimeter with Earth. The flying terd from ST4, V'ger, the Breen, and the Borg. I would think after the Borg there would be a stronger defense at Earth. Maybe a few large starships like the Akira instead of little midget ships.

Maybe the ose TOS ships might be flying bombs relaunched from the mothball fleet or something.

------------------
It is better to walk the path of the devil than to be in the path of the devil. Though it still might not be the right path.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Starfleet has had Earth reasonably defended for some time. V'Ger was a bit of cockup, yes. But there were plenty of ships in the system when the Probe came, just waiting to be completely shut down. The Breen attack was, as we were led to believe, mostly a suicide run, with most of them being destroyed before they were in range.

------------------
I am not good with English but excuses me. I hate you whom think bad of the gods of the thunder known under the name of ""Metallica"". Good tape of ""Metallica"" is ""Load"", that you like it or not. A much better tape of Metallica ""Load"" than overrated the tape known under the name of ""Iron Maiden"" ""Powerslave"". You all are penis for the bad one of thought about ""Lars"". ""Lars"" can take a cucumber in bottom of his throat without reflex of muzzle. Lars can too take cucumber in bottom with no stretching of bottom hole sphincter muscle. Thanks for reading.
--
an anonymous fan
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Because I'm saving all my love for you.

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Timo: Nope, those enterprise-studymodels can�t be seen in the battlewreckage-scene at Wolf 359. That doesn�t mean they can�t be there of course, as grey little blobs in the background. The reason everyone accepts that the models were present is because it is mentioned in one of the star trek books, "The art of..", I think. Personally I would approve of them being there, as long as they eventually get designated as already existing classes. I�m getting tired of never seeing designs for some already existing classes, like for instance wambundu. Everyone seems to be wanting to come up with new classes all the time, instead of showing us the older ones :-(

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the old study models of Enterprises and Excelsiors were rounded up for possible shooting in case there wasn't enough material to go by otherwise. When Jein and Miarecki delivered their quality kitbashes, it's possible that the ugliest of the study models were actually left unfilmed even though they were waiting right there on the table beside the motion-control rig.

In addition to the two McQuarrie ships, at least the Phase II shuttlecraft and the more Excelsiorlike of the two "Art of ST" study models may have been omitted altogether, despite being reported as having been available. At least they can't be proven to have been in the battle at all. If so, I sure don't want to cling to the idea that Starfleet employed the McQuarrie designs at Wolf 359, unless I absolutely have to.

Timo Saloniemi

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are still enough unidentifiable ships in the background. Personally, I think all five study models were somehow present, although some of them might be off-screen. The screencap of the Enterprise-II study model is from "Unification". The reason why I speculate that it was originally shot for BoBW is that it's apparently a big deal to dig up old models. OTOH, there were some new scenes in "Unification" showing other previously unseen ship parts.

------------------
"Species 5618, human. Warp-capable, origin grid 325, physiology inefficient, below average cranium capacity, minimum redundant systems, limited regenerative abilities."
Ex Astris Scientia

This topic comprises 26 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  24  25  26   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps