Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » A Constitution-class challenge (Page 3)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: A Constitution-class challenge
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's looking as fantastic as ever, Rev! And yes, I'd most certainly have the port side mirror the starboard side.

I absolutely LOVE that you're doing this! [Wink]

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just found a high-resolution photo of the AMT long box model kit packaging that could be somewhat helpful when the time comes to do that version:
http://www.cdeath.net/monkeyofmim/AMT_Ent.jpg

The article by Jay Chladek that I linked to in my original post has more details on specific ship components.

I've been informed that the AMT model was somewhat based on the three-foot studio model, thus the "lip" on the underside of the saucer that was not present on the 11-foot filming miniature. There are still numerous "inaccuracies" (or, in trems of this project, "variances") even to the 3-footer. (Which, BTW, I am not considering to be a distinct variant for the opurposes of this project.)

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
Just found a high-resolution photo of the AMT long box model kit packaging that could be somewhat helpful when the time comes to do that version:
http://www.cdeath.net/monkeyofmim/AMT_Ent.jpg

The article by Jay Chladek that I linked to in my original post has more details on specific ship components.

I've been informed that the AMT model was somewhat based on the three-foot studio model, thus the "lip" on the underside of the saucer that was not present on the 11-foot filming miniature. There are still numerous "inaccuracies" (or, in trems of this project, "variances") even to the 3-footer. (Which, BTW, I am not considering to be a distinct variant for the opurposes of this project.)

-MMoM [Big Grin]

Now I have to ask, just what do you want schematics of in regards to the Constellation? Do you want schematics of the plastic model (lacking any gridlines, light panals, beacons, impulse engines and windows around the sauser rim) or the "real" ship as it should have been?
By that I mean taking the TOS schematics and just altering the nacelles and the deflector dish while perserving the impulse engines gridlines etc ?

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

At this point, I would really like to at least see a good set of views of the actual model version, complete with all its lackings. (Wow, how oxymoronic! [Razz] ) I'd like to see if it can be accepted by anyone as even marginally convincing. Of course, if it turns out to look simply too ridiculous, there might be some specific, limited changes that could be made.

For now, think of it as drawing the model. We'll see how it pans out.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

P.S.
I still haven't had a chance to make those scans of the FJ plans yet, but I'll get around to it before the weekend is out. (It's a three-day weekend for me! [Monday being Martin Luther King Day.] [Smile] )

--------------------

Sarvek
Member # 910

- posted      Profile for Sarvek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am really quite impressed with all the detail that you have given the Starship Enteprise Reverend. She looks totally awesome. [Big Grin] The Enteprise looks like my Enterprise from Unobtanium. Keep up the great work. [Wink]
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
At this point, I would really like to at least see a good set of views of the actual model version, complete with all its lackings. (Wow, how oxymoronic! ) I'd like to see if it can be accepted by anyone as even marginally convincing. Of course, if it turns out to look simply too ridiculous, there might be some specific, limited changes that could be made.

For now, think of it as drawing the model. We'll see how it pans out.

Alright but I'll bet you a pint of the black stuff that it's going to look like exactly that, a drawing of a shoddy little plastic model.
There is however another possibility, it won't be easy but I could try and do a schematic that recreates the damage seen in the episode and explains point for point the reasons for the missing details.
For example the lack of visible impulse engines could be because the exhaust shutters were sealed during the battle, to prevent the leaking reactant injectors from leaving a trail while the ship manoeuvred away on thrusters alone and the missing shield emitters could be down to the grid being melted off by the Planet Killer's weapon.

UPDATE
Conni_TOS_dorsal

Final version: Added in the windows and nacelle pennants as promised, also fixed the neck and added the missing beacons on the bridge module.

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

[Eek!]

That's sooo cool, Rev! I can't wait to see the other views. (BTW, one thing I was going to point out in the side view was that I don't believe the deflector/main sensor dish and its housing should not be golden and red as you have them, but rather a copper-ish color. The golden dish was an erroneous piece added by the Smithsonian guys for the 1974 exhibit, because the original had been lost, IIRC.)

About the oh-so-problematic Constellation:
I find your battle damage idea intriguing, but I'm afraid I think I still want to see the genuine article. It may turn out as bad as you say, or it may end up being passable. The model does in fact have gridlines on the saucer as well as some windows, if you examine the relevent DVD caps and other pictures. I'm still trying to find someone who can give some pictures of an assembled model kit from various angles so we can see exactly what the placement of stuff is, etc., but so far no luck. As for the impulse engines, I was told by someone that the model does in fact have the two vents of the series-proper model faintly etched into the plastic, but it's just washed out by the filming lights from the episode. But the other thing I was thinking was that I might interpret the whole seemingly-blank strip as one long vent. Anyway, I would guess that maybe you should leave that variant for last, doing the pilot versions and maybe the FJ ship in the meantime, giving me a chance to dig up some more info.

Anyway, great work so far!
-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are some closeups of the old model kit (I think it's the same), perhaps you can use them:

http://www.geocities.com/stmodeler1701/1tos/tosent5.html

http://www.geocities.com/stmodeler1701/1tos/951_hor5details2.html

http://www.geocities.com/stmodeler1701/1tos/951_hor5details3.html

http://www.geocities.com/stmodeler1701/1tos/921_200details4.html

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

That's really excellent, Harry. Thanks!

Rev, there're your details, such as they are. There are windows to place and some gridlines and the like.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Still can't tell about the impulse engines though and apparantly knowone bothered to paint the windows on the Constellation saucer...perhaps they have some kind of shutters or blast door that were shut at the time?

Thanks Harry, that will help some but what I really ned is some hi-res closeups of an assembled model.

--------------------

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
apparantly knowone bothered to paint the windows on the Constellation saucer...perhaps they have some kind of shutters or blast door that were shut at the time?

Sliding panels over the windows has been established in "The Mark of Gideon". Kirk heard the clanging sound of people walking on the hull, and Kirk activated a sliding panel to reveal the window. Even though it was an Enterprise recreation, Kirk didn't question what the switch was for; he just used it, so that's probably a real mechanism on the Enterprise.

I have almost every Trek model, including the old AMT kit. What sort of pictures do you need?

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

All kinds of pictures... [Razz]

I suspect what would be really good are some schematic-type viwes. (Dorsal, ventral, port & starboard, fore & aft.) Closeups of the impulse engines and maybe some perspective shots would be nice also.

I can't remember the scene in "The Mark of Gideon," but that's pretty cool to know.

In looking at trek5's screepcaps, there *are* at least some windows along the saucer rim of the Constellation. Specifically, the three small circular ones at the bow are visible. See here.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would closeups on an unassembled kit be of any use? I have several unassembled and at least one that's together but not fully painted.

--------------------
Stephen L.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

I'm sure anyhing you can provide would be of at least some use, but as to what Rev needs specifically to aid in hid drawing, I'll let him tell ya.

Personally, I would definitely like to see the aforementioned plan and elevation views of an assembled kit (even if the paintjob isn't perfect [Razz] ) and a close-in shot of the impulse engines. Or at least some descriptions of window placement and the details of the impulse engines. Are there in fact the two vents etched into the plastic, or is it just blank as it appears to be in "The Doomsday Machine"?

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------

SoundEffect
Member # 926

Not blank, there are definitely two very lightly raised rectangles on the impulse module. I just noticed today there's a small circular detail between the two impulse vents as well. It's too small for a window...it's about half the diameter of circular windows on the hull and the shape is too perfect for it to just be a mold injection point.

I'll snap some pics this evening and hopefully have 'em up tomorrow before noon.

--------------------
Stephen L.

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps