Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » A Constitution-class challenge (Page 4)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: A Constitution-class challenge
Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About fifteen or sixteen years ago I ran into someone at a convention who was suggesting that that little circle was the engine vent that the cloud creature used to enter the ship in "Obsession". Where he got that idea is anybody's guess.

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, I've taken several pictures, many closeups, of the old AMT Enterprise model. There's some text to go along with some and a blurb I wrote on the main page. If there's anything still missing, I'll try to clarify.

AMT 1701

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is so incredibly excellent, SoundEffect! [Smile]

However, a word of caution to Rev:
These pictures are of a "small box" release version model, for which many parts such as the nacelles and their caps/ends, the deflector/main sensor dish and its housing have been retooled. Make sure you check this article for the specific differences. However, pretty much anything that's not noted in there should be the same as far as I know.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

[ January 23, 2003, 07:01 PM: Message edited by: The Mighty Monkey of Mim ]

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UPDATE:
Fixed the detailing on the deflector dish
 -
I'll use the correct colour just as soon as I figure out what a copper gradiant is supposed to look like.

Currently putting the finishing touches to the starboard view and should have the final ready in a few hours, then the port view shortly after that.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UPDATE
Conni_TOS_Starboard (FINAL)
Conni_TOS_Port-WIP1

I'm a little unsure about the shadeing on the port view, I think I made it too dark.

--------------------

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reverend, are those diagrams the ones you're doing for the AMT version of the Constitution Class? If so, I can list some discrepancies with the model kit version vs. your profile view. If it's just the regular on-screen Constitution, then I'll commend you on your artistic talent, it looks quite accurate! I'm learning to draw like that with Illustrator.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These are the ones (and fantastic, If I do say so myself [Big Grin] ) of the standard series version.

I'm noticing some pixellation or something on the deflector though...

Sarvek
Member # 910

- posted      Profile for Sarvek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome work Reverend. [Big Grin] I can not wait to see the other final view. [Wink]
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dunno, Mim. The deflector looks fine to me. I do see a little bit of pixellation on the main sensor dish, though...

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

The pixelation you refer to is a result of the colour reduction that comes with saving these images as GIFs and the copper gradient just happens to show this up more than most, it should look fine so long as you don't zoom in.
When everything is done I may release a set with a much higher resolution for the detail fanatics to salivate over.

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:
I dunno, Mim. The deflector looks fine to me. I do see a little bit of pixellation on the main sensor dish, though...

--Jonah

Funny you should make such an attempt at hair splitting, as I was recently re-reading Whitfield & Roddenberry's The Making of Star Trek and found this interesting quote from page 191:
"The starship's main sensor-deflector (a parabolic sensor antenna and asteroid-deflector) is located at the front end of the secondary hull."

So technically, we're both correct. I found it quite interesting that even this earliest of sources pegged the dish as pulling "double duty" as both a sensor and deflector, which is exactly the same kind of role that's been postulated for it in more recent times by fans seeking to reconcile the tech of TOS with modern Trek.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I was recently re-reading Whitfield & Roddenberry's The Making of Star Trek and found this interesting quote from page 191
I definately know what's coming next. [Big Grin]
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The fact that that book does not reflect an accurate picture of anything remotely technical? *heh*

Seriously, Mr. Whitfield never talked about the layout or systemry of the Enterprise with Matt Jeffries. The main sensor was the big dish, yes. The deflector emitters were the three boxes flanking it -- and repeated on the TMP refit design, as well. Note their carryover onto the Reliant in TWOK. That was Mike and Joe doing their homework. Ship needed navigational deflectors, but no big-ass long-range sensor dish in the now-eliminated secondary hull.

I don't think the two systems got integrated into a single unit until the Ambassador class.

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:
...and repeated on the TMP refit design, as well. Note their carryover onto the Reliant in TWOK. That was Mike and Joe doing their homework. Ship needed navigational deflectors, but no big-ass long-range sensor dish in the now-eliminated secondary hull.

I don't think the two systems got integrated into a single unit until the Ambassador class.

Unfortunately, no. Andrew Probert designed the dish on the refit as the nav-deflector and the three small modules as "space-energy field attraction sensors," which could still be a component of the deflector system and could serve the purpose for the Miranda, but the dish is the main element. And, needless to say, there are plenty of other instances (most notable in First Contact) of the dish itself being explicitly called the deflector.

I see no reason to claim that the obviously homologous feature on the E-nil is not the same thing, especially when---as I pointed out above---any conflicts with the designer's intent may be reconciled by simply saying that it serves a dual function.

And while I am beginning to understand your beef with TMoST, it *is* the only "official" publication that includes details of starships' workings during the TOS period. Whatever doesn't conflict directly with what was seen on the actual show I tend to accept.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

Not quite. Andy came on to refine Matt Jeffries' and Joe Jennings' design for the Phase II TV series into a more detailed design suitable for the big screen. Joe took Matt's systemry comments to heart, but Andy never worked directly with either of them, and he readily admits he made up his own functions for the various greeblies.

Which is why I suggested the Ambassador class. Rick refined that ship from Andy's painting, and Andy designed both it and the Galaxy class from his self-admittedly imperfect understanding of what was where doing what on starships. No problem with integrating the systems within the span between TOS and TNG, so it all works. I've suggested it, and he likes the idea.

Which reminds me (non sequitur), if anyone wants to tackle the problem of fitting the rec-deck into the saucer, he'd be interested in the results. [Wink]

Now I just have to track down one of my friends down in San Diego who has one of Matt's working drawings that he made for his own reference while working on TOS -- more accurate to what had been worked out than the quick-and-dirty cutaway and diagrams reproduced in "The Making of Star Trek".

--Jonah

--------------------

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps