Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Logos logos everywhere... (Page 28)

This topic comprises 34 pages: 1  2  3  ...  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34   
Author Topic: Logos logos everywhere...
Odysious
Member # 1180

- posted      Profile for Odysious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:

P.S. Does anyone have any idea what this 'Sigma' logo is supposed to represent?
 -

Since this logo is located next to the Starfleet Command logo, it may be the Starfleet Acadamy logo of this era. Any thoughts...

--------------------
Odysious

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that Harry!

Some extrapolation and a bit of guess work later....
 -

quote:
(Just as a headsup, this topic is now 400 replies long. I'm probably going to close it in favor of a new topic when it hits 500.)
Neat. What's the record? How long until I beat the Wolf 359 thread? [Big Grin]

quote:
If the Tellarite one is a sort of ying-yang design with the silhouette of a wild boar type creature, then they're from FASA's Star Trek IV Sourcebook Update. And yeah, that one sucks more than most.
That's the one. I know the Deltan logo differs somewhat from what was shown previously.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 'sort of official' emblem of the Tellarites is the swan type design in the Franz Joseph Technicla Manual. He did designs for the five founding members of the Federation and 61 Cygni was supposed to be the Tellarites back then. I say the design is somewhat official since it was the clearly seen wall decoration along with the other founding members' logos (from the FJ:TM) in the Travel Pod in "The Wrath of Khan".

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SoundEffect:
I say the design is somewhat official since it was the clearly seen wall decoration along with the other founding members' logos (from the FJ:TM) in the Travel Pod in "The Wrath of Khan".

Anyone got a cap of that scene!?!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, but the SFTM swan shield is for the "United Planets of 61 Cygni", and there's no canon link between that and Tellar [Razz]

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
Ah, but the SFTM swan shield is for the "United Planets of 61 Cygni", and there's no canon link between that and Tellar [Razz]

I can see your point, but I'm going on the logic that the FJ designs are canon since they appear in the movie. The only two that aren't definite are the Epsilon Indi and 61 Cygni ones, although we know that they are the founding members and they're all accounted for except Andor and Tellar. Yes, it's fandom that tells us Andor is Epsilon Indi and that Tellar is 61 Cygni.

--------------------
Stephen L.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know. It's just that I think the swan on the Teller/61 Cygni emblem is too silly. And so is the poorly disguised "EI" on the Epsilon Indi/Andor emblem..

Although admittedly, the original TOS outlines claimed that 'parallel development' was to be the major driving force of the show, I think it's just a bit too silly that the Tellarites know they are in our Swan constellation...

Not to mention the excruciating sillyness of the centaurs on the Alpha Centauri flags :x

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

SoundEffect
Member # 926

quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Anyone got a cap of that scene!?!

I've uploaded some pics to illustrate.

This pic is the interior of the Travel Pod from Trek II:

Travel Pod Interior

This is an inverted pic to show the detail of the swan logo:

61 Cygni logo

...and for good measure...the 'evil Reliant:

USS Reliant

--------------------
Stephen L.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Not to mention the excruciating sillyness of the centaurs on the Alpha Centauri flags :x
Well that depends on whether you think AC has an indigenous population or if it's just an independent Human colony. Given the SNN clipping in Picard's album, I'm inclined to believe the latter.
In which case I don't think a pair of Centaurs is quite so silly.

[ February 08, 2004, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: Reverend ]

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

UPDATE
 -
 -
 -
 -

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Odysious:
Since this logo is located next to the Starfleet Command logo, it may be the Starfleet Acadamy logo of this era. Any thoughts...

But SF Academy wasn't founded until 2161.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Earth Starfleet Academy perhaps? They all had to go somewhere for school...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And I'm pretty sure that they've mentioned some sort of "Academy" in ENT at some point or another.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would venture to say that while SF in the 2140s-50s would, necessarily, have had training facilities, (including Lunaport, mentioned by Reed in "The Catwalk") a single integrated and dedicated Academy was not created until the incorporation of the Federation in 2161, thus rationalizing the appearance of that date on the Academy's flag in TNG.

But of course, I do not subscribe to this (IMO) hairbrained theory that the "Starfleet" from ENT is somehow a separate organization from the one seen in rest of Trek. The evidence would indicate that TPTB agree with me.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

jX
Member # 1201

- posted      Profile for jX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
And I'm pretty sure that they've mentioned some sort of "Academy" in ENT at some point or another.

Astronauts don't go to NASA Acedemy, so it's highly possible that before 2161 there is no dedicated school for Starfleet, they're picked from other Earth governmental departments (Air Force, Navy, etc).
  This topic comprises 34 pages: 1  2  3  ...  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps