Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Logos logos everywhere... (Part 2) (Page 12)

This topic comprises 34 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  32  33  34   
Author Topic: Logos logos everywhere... (Part 2)
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well if anyone can think of a better name for a command that is in charge of Starfleet's fighter squadrons prehaps Reverend could do a better job at making the top banner.

I'm having a hard time making text follow a path around the circle.

The two stars underneath the wings represent the rank of the SAC commanding officer, a two star Vice Admiral.

Yes I know a Vice Admiral has three stars in the Navy. I wanted to get rid of the whole Rear Admiral Lower Half and Rear Admiral Upper Half. I didn't want to use Commodore since Starfleet phased it out. The Navy uses Commodore as a title for an O-6 Captain that commands a small squadron of ships instead of just one. Whereas Admirals control Carrier Strike Groups and Fleets. So in this case: 1 Star = Rear Admiral, 2 Stars = Vice Admiral, 3 Stars = Admiral, 4 Stars = Fleet Admiral.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just because the rank isn't mentioned doesn't mean that it doesn't exist...
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hobbes, I like the logo but think you should tone down the feathers a bit: make them more graphic and limit their number to three-four per wing.

It would look less "airforce" nad more "TNG" that way.

Mabye just a slight mod on the TNG communicator pin would work.....it could be the emblem for planetary defense (instead of a logo representing all fighter squadrons everywhere).

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Topher:
Just because the rank isn't mentioned doesn't mean that it doesn't exist...

And just because the USN does something, it doesn't follow that Starfleet does it.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And let's just say that Hobbes is entitled to his own opinion even if he is in a small minority. I personally believe that there are 5 grades of admiral ranks, albeit with slight changes in the Rear Admiral names. I go with Read Admiral Lower Grade (RADML) and Rear Admiral (RADM). Forget the whole lower and upper halves deal.

My belief in the rank structure:
FADM � Fleet Admiral
ADM � Admiral
VADM � Vice Admiral
RADM � Rear Admiral
RADML � Rear Admiral Lower Grade
CAPT � Captain
CDR � Commander
LCDR � Lieutenant Commander
LT � Lieutenant
LTJG � Lieutenant Junior Grade
ENS � Ensign

C4 � Fourth Year Cadet
C3 � Third Year Cadet
C2 � Second Year Cadet
C1 � First Year Cadet

CWO � Chief Warrant Officer
WO3 � Warrant Officer Three
WO2 � Warrant Officer Two
WO1 � Warrant Officer One

MCPOS � Master Chief Petty Officer of Starfleet
MCPO � Master Chief Petty Officer
SCPO � Senior Chief Petty Officer
CPO � Chief Petty Officer
PO1 � Petty Officer First Class
PO2 � Petty Officer Second Class
PO3 � Petty Officer Third Class
CMN � Crewman
CA � Crewman Apprentice
CR � Crewman Recruit

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am uploading the Hur'q now.
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't intend to start a discussion on ranks. Simply I never liked the idea of two different types of Rear Admiral.

Titles like Commodore and Fleet Captain seem to me just that, titles, not ranks.

I've got the basic sketch of the Class 5 Type 19E fighter that will be stationed onboard my ship, USS Pioneer. But that will be started in another thread.

As for the wings in the SAC logo, I know they're a bit modern. I tried making a more angular style, but it didn't look as good.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I did something to the effect of a starfleet fighter command logo a while back. Hang on I'll check....

How about this?

-

Thanks for that Bernd, i did get your e-mail a while back but Outlook is refusing to let me reply to anything. Appologies to all those who are feeling ignored!

As for rank, I vote for Colonel. It would certainly explain Col West's presence in the UFP president's office along with Starfleet's C&C and Admiral Cartwright (the head of SF operations?).
It might also tie in with his apparant authority on covert opps and insertion tactics. Which it could be argued that in the trek universe you'd need small fighter sized craft for.
Remember to take a page out of the book of Straczynski, in that this is a space organisation, not the navy and it should show historical influences from other formerly planet bound military services.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wow.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
UPDATE

Some new, some reformatted oldies.
 -
 -
 -
 -

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Bueatiful...but I still thing "support services" might look better in the same point-size as "Starfleet Operations".

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the way they are Jason. The lengths of the words on each side are the same, not the font sizes.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rev, the planets in the Titan Fleetyards patch seem a bit off. The orange sphere in front looks like it has a nipple at the top. The dark band (looks like a fox tail) on Saturn contrasts too much with the rest of the bright side. With that dark a shadowed half, the planet would also be casting a shadow on the rings. Finally, the shading on the grey moon doesn't match that of the other spheres.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by SoundEffect:
That's the way they are Jason. The lengths of the words on each side are the same, not the font sizes.

Yeah, I see what you mean.
I'm buying the acryllic next week to transfer the R&D patch onto....itll be an amazing base for the model.

I am very psyched and grateful to Rev for the work he put in. [Wink]

Thanks again.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
http://flareupload.pleh.net/uploads/335/Starfightcom.gif

holy shit! [Eek!]

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

This topic comprises 34 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  32  33  34   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps