Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Logos logos everywhere... (Part 2) (Page 19)

This topic comprises 34 pages: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  ...  32  33  34   
Author Topic: Logos logos everywhere... (Part 2)
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
while (true) {
skip;
}

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cool, so do you reckon they should go the 'rollout' order for the ships on Enterprise?

When did Buran launch - before the Endeavour was built? Was Ptichka completed? Is the one now in Gorky Park - or is that Buran?

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The order to NASA was to have two operational space-worthy shuttles. The first was to have been named Constitution but was renamed Enterprise after a letter campaign by Trek fans made President Ford have NASA rename the shuttle. During construction of Columbia, it was decided not to refit Enterprise to space-worthiness. Because of that, they converted STA-099 to space-worthiness and named it Challenger (along with a re-registration) to fulfill the two shuttle requirement.

As for Buran, it was completed and flown by remote in 1986 I believe. It was never flown again because the Soviets found it to be too costly to continue with the project. Ptichka was never completed. Construction never started on shuttle 3. As for Endeavour, it was assembled from replacement parts (yes, you read correctly) and a complete crew cabin from the 1970s (the replacement parts originate from the 1980s). It was completed and launched in 1991 or 1992.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So why was Enterprise not used as a space-worthy shuttle - they wanted to keep a memento? A way to have a third shuttle? Was the original condition of Challenger akin to what Enterprise was? Enterprise was all along going to be an actual space-flight shuttle? There must have been a reason not to put Enterprise into space?

Are the NASA Space Shuttles - essentially "Enterprise Class"? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the "Enterprise" was always the "parts shuttle" that was never fully completed but used to service the others.
All the shuttles were made to have swappable modules to some degree.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_Enterprise

http://science.ksc.nasa.gov/shuttle/resources/orbiters/enterprise.html

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And in addition, for all you ever wanted to know about spacecraft the world over, one of my favorite sites: Encyclopedia Astronautica.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hell of a lot of linked Trek refrences at Wikipedia.....

None of them seem to involve me directly though.
Jerks.

Ever google yourself for images?
Lots of scary scary people have my name it seems.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Thanks for the links everyone!

Remember a while back - someone here was trying to get a Trek wikipedia thing started - that's the first time I had heard of wikipedia... It was self-editable - you know what I mean. Is that what the Trek links... link to? Did that ever get off the ground?

--------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ehh.. yes.

Memory Alpha. We've just moved to a new server to cope with the traffic, so you might say we are 'off the ground'.

--------------------

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Hell of a lot of linked Trek refrences at Wikipedia....."

Yeah, too many. WP should be restricted to content about the real world, not fictional ones. That's what projects like Memory Alpha are for. I mean, you don't consult a general knowledge printed encyclopedia if you want to know the ins and outs of a Galaxy class starship either.

(Not since 1999 have I consulted a general knowledge printed encyclopedia.)

Kobi
Member # 1360

- posted      Profile for Kobi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
Ehh.. yes.

Memory Alpha. We've just moved to a new server to cope with the traffic, so you might say we are 'off the ground'.

Even though the English version is going well, the Dutch and German ones are still seeking for contributors [Wink]

--------------------
Visit Andorian's office, with new section all about Kzinti!

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

WD for getting 'off the ground'! [Big Grin]

So does the normal Wikipedia link to Memory Alpha or they are just based on the same 'idea'/'code'/'computer language'/'computer idea thingy whatchamajiga'?

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to get uncomfortably meta or anything, but: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

We use MediaWiki, which is the same code as Wikipedia uses. MA is hosted by one of Wikipedia's many developers, allowing us to keep the code up-to-date with regards to Wikipedia.

So we are not part of Wikipedia, but just use the same code. Although the majority of Star Trek-related stuff on Wikipedia now has a link to the related Memory Alpha page [Razz]

--------------------

This topic comprises 34 pages: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  ...  32  33  34   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps