Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Heroes 1.23 "How to Stop an Exploding Man" SPOILERS (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Heroes 1.23 "How to Stop an Exploding Man" SPOILERS
HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for HopefulNebula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, so whoa. Brain-breakingly awesome (as evinced by the fact that I just typed "brean-breakingly" and had to go back and figure out what was wrong). I hope Parkman doesn't die either; I like him. Even if he was being an enormous idiot by going in on his own. I'm sure your pregnant wife would want you alive, dude.

And Nathan has to go and redeem himself. But I LIKED not liking him! Oh well. *shifts her hatred over to Angela*

And Bennet has a first name! I don't know why I'm so irrationally excited about that, but I am. Maybe I'm just having an autistic moment. Dunno. But EEEEEEEEEEEE, BENNET HAS A FIRST NAME!!!

I loved Niki/Jessica in this, and the fact that she and D.L. had Molly as well as Micah.

So, Candice really isn't "huge." She just thinks she is. (At least I'm assuming the whole "knock out the shapeshifter and s/he reverts to his/her original form" rule is what took effect here.)

Was that Sylar's blood going into the manhole?

Also. Ando's line "You look bad-ass" absolutely fucking cracked me up. Definitely makes up for Hiro's bit about how he has to do it himself. It may be true, but I fucking hate that clich�. ("Head them off at the pass? I hate that clich�!" *BANG*) (Sorry, having a Mel Brooks moment here.) ("This is something he has to do himself." "No it ain't!" "Oh. OK!" *BANG*) (Sorry, and a Firefly moment.)

Anyway, back to Heroes. Like the ending. Was expecting the eclipse to be a dragon (to tie in with the Kensei legend) but the eclipse was a good tie-in with the beginning. I wonder if there really was an eclipse over Japan that year?

Also, who's the one person Molly can't find, who looks back at her when she tries? I think we've found our second-season villain.

--------------------
"Don't fight forces; use them."
--R. Buckminster Fuller

http://hopefulnebula.dreamwidth.org/

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have 1000 quatloos riding on Kensei being Nakamura the elder.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I got the impression that the "hero" Molly disliked is next years baddie. And yet that scene with Sylar's blood indicates that Sylar is still alive.I wonder if he does have regenerative powers as he's been seriously injured before yet miraculously heals by the time of his next appearance. I wonder what that scene with Peter and Simone's dad was all about. Was the old man's power to transfer his consciousness to another person?

Edit: Also while Nathan bit the big one, I'm sure Peter must still be alive.

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now THAT was how to end a season. After seeing crappy season/series finales in "Crossing Jordan", "Gilmore Girls", "CSI", & "Jericho", that was an incredible story. Had to love the way Hiro shocked the crap out of Sylar at the loft by teleporting and rescuing Ando. You could see Sylar thinking "Holy Crap". One thing that strengthened the argument of Peter absorbing personality as well as power was his demeanor after Niki came into range of him. He went from afraid to act to beating the crap out of Sylar just like Niki/Jessica would.

Other observations:
  • So it's Noah Bennett, man wid da plan.
  • Was Peter close enough to absorb DJ, Molly, & Michael's powers as well?
  • There is STILL a possibility that Nathan survived if Peter pushed him away and continued on his own.
  • OR, being all Nuclear, perhaps Petey's regeneration will somehow create a gestalt of Nate & Petey.
  • Mama Patrelli is starting to REALLY look like the villain in this. I wonder if she is the one who looks back at Molly.
  • The Haitian was conspicuously absent.
  • Bennett is starting to channel George Pepard from A-team it seems.
  • Loved the touch of the Cockroach at the sewer lid again. Pretty much sums up Sylar
  • Sylar obviously has the ability to "Hide in plain sight" as Peter calls it. He went from nowhere in sight to 5 feet away.
  • Isaak's paintings are now shown to be fallible. No explosion, Nate is apparently dead so no Presidency. So Sylar's art should be equally fallible.
  • There is a vacancy in Congress now. So who steps into Nate's seat? His wife? Mommy? It will be interesting to see who scrambles to fill the void in Angela's plans.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was going to ask if there was an eclipse at the beginning of the season. I seemed to remember one, but it feels like it's been so long ago that the season started... My guess would be that the eclipse heralds the beginning of a climactic generational event involving the heros of that era.

The second volume is entitled "Generations", so my guess is that the second season will focus alot, at least in the beginning on some origin-type stuff. Why are the heros there. What's the overall plan involved. Simone's Dad told Peter that "there's always one that's good". Seems to imply this pattern repeats itself. I think we'll see a bit of the story involving the climactic event in feudal Japan. I also think it'll take us a while to catch up with Peter again.

Overall, I thought this was a great finale (especially after seeing the disappointment that was the season finale of 24). Lots of stuff wrapped up, with lots of questions still to answer. Who will be back? Will the next season really focus on the same group, or just some of the individuals?

I loved the wrap-up with Jessikki. Jessica stepping aside to let Nikki take over, knowing she wouldn't betray DL and Micah, the Nikki finally finding the will to access her strength without Jessica's help. Coolness.

I don't think the writers know who the One Who Looks Back is yet. Doesn't seem right for it to be Angela, though she's a likely bet. All of the Linderman Group seem to believe they are righteous. Doesn't seem to fit with someone who would scare Molly that badly.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I wonder if there really was an eclipse over Japan that year?
NASA says no. But who cares?

quote:
One thing that strengthened the argument of Peter absorbing personality as well as power was his demeanor after Niki came into range of him. He went from afraid to act to beating the crap out of Sylar just like Niki/Jessica would.
Well he is an empath.

quote:
I don't think the writers know who the One Who Looks Back is yet. Doesn't seem right for it to be Angela, though she's a likely bet. All of the Linderman Group seem to believe they are righteous. Doesn't seem to fit with someone who would scare Molly that badly.
It is the Kwisatz Haderach!

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
I was going to ask if there was an eclipse at the beginning of the season. I seemed to remember one, but it feels like it's been so long ago that the season started... My guess would be that the eclipse heralds the beginning of a climactic generational event involving the heros of that era.

There was an eclipse at the end of the 1st episode.
Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cracking episode and it they didn't answer every single one of our questions, so we really will be seeing our Heroes again. The producers had been making it sound as though the next season would mostly involve new characters.

There's every chance that Nathan flew off before Peter exploded, so I doubt he's dead.

I like the "one who looks back" thing. It's obviously Sauron. [Razz] Great way to set up the next season and create a bad guy who could be even scarier than Sylar.

I was expecting one of the samurai's at the end to be Hiro's dad for some reason, but I don't know what the explanation for that would have been.

I just can't wait for the next season now, only 4 months to go!

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

You know, Nathan could have just brought Peter high enough to let him drop. Then Pete could have exploded while falling and Nate could have picked him up again. But then again the explosion had a wide radius, could Nathan have been fast enough to escape?
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it's possible that Nathan dropped Peter and flew off, but he wouldn't have even needed to catch him. Nathan seemed to think that he would die but that he would be saving Peter. Exploding won't hurt Peter just like it didn't hurt Ted we he emitted radiation. The fall, even from suborbital heights, is presumably something Peter could survive as well. So I think we can safely assume that Peter is alive and will show up at some point next season.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a number of problems with the last scenes of the season. (That's not counting the Hiro-in-ancient-Japan bit at the end.)

First, why couldn't Peter control the radiation power? I mean, I understood it was hard to get a handle on when he first started absorbing it. But, once he got control over it, why did it keep flaring up, and why did it do so critically at the end there? I realize the real answer is "the plot called for it", but it would have been nice if they had given some explanation.

And how was the gun supposed to stop him? That was a huge gun at close range. Wouldn't the bullet go straight through, and he would heal? So far, the only way Claire and Peter have been able to die is if something goes into their brains and stays there.

As for Sylar, how was he able to react quickly enough to stop Parkman's bullets as soon as he heard them fire, but he couldn't stop a guy running with a sword, even though he had time to turn and face him before he started running? I guess Hiro might have stopped time really briefly, but it didn't look like it.

And finally, why did Nathan have to fly Peter out of the city? Peter flies, too.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's possible Peter can only use one power at a time. Thus, whilst blowing up he couldn't jet himself out of the city.

The thing about this ending is that I was expecting something closer to what Peter saw in his vision - a deserted daylit street filled with abandonned cars, other people there including Isaac, his girlfriend, ando and later Claude, Claire being in her cheerleader outfit, and Peter blowing up in pretty short order. What happened to all that? Was that more like Mama Petrelli's vision rather than Peter's or anyone else's?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't really know why Peter couldn't control the power(after all, he'd had it for a long while), but the idea behind shooting him wasn't to kill him permanently, it was only to put him out of action long enough for the power to subside, just as it did back when Claude punched him in the face and knocked him out.

As for Peter not flying, I think it's just that he has so much trouble keeping the radioactivity under control that he can't concentrate on using anything else. The rest of the time he can use more than one, though.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:

First, why couldn't Peter control the radiation power?

Peter had also just absorbed Niki's power (& temperment?) and perhaps Molly's, Micah's, & D.L.'s as well. With the influx of so much he couldn't adapt fast enough and started losing control of the Nuke'em Power.

quote:

As for Sylar, how was he able to react quickly enough to stop Parkman's bullets as soon as he heard them fire, but he couldn't stop a guy running with a sword, even though he had time to turn and face him before he started running? I guess Hiro might have stopped time really briefly, but it didn't look like it.

Sylar was aware of Parkman's approach from his Super-Hearing and could have been reacting to the firing pin strike rather than the actual report. Hiro had already perplexed him with his teleportation before in the loft. One thing about Sylar is he does seem to take extra time to react to things. Whether this is due to his trying to figure things out with his savant power or not is the question. But clearly, he does NOT have a grasp on how to handle Hiro.

quote:

And finally, why did Nathan have to fly Peter out of the city? Peter flies, too.

Peter was using ALL of his control just to keep from "Mushrooming", had he tried to fly, he might well have exploded right then and there. That is why he called for Hiro initially to teleport him away. But with Sylar's TKoing Hiro, Nathan was the ONLY option other than Cranial Ventilation and even that was not a SURE means of preventing the bomb.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for HopefulNebula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mark: In "Five Years Gone," at least, he uses invisibility and TK at the same time. So it's possible for him to use multiple powers at once, even if he doesn't know it yet.

--------------------
"Don't fight forces; use them."
--R. Buckminster Fuller

http://hopefulnebula.dreamwidth.org/

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps