Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Heroes 1.23 "How to Stop an Exploding Man" SPOILERS (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Heroes 1.23 "How to Stop an Exploding Man" SPOILERS
HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for HopefulNebula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mo's mum doesn't have a name, far as anyone can tell. So, she's Mrs. Suresh. Or Mo's mum works too. And I'm with you on Papa Petrelli (who also doesn't have a name... damn the writers!).

--------------------
"Don't fight forces; use them."
--R. Buckminster Fuller

http://hopefulnebula.dreamwidth.org/

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reguarding Sylar's powers - one thing I thought of - FBI Agent Hanson - when revealing to Matt Parkman about Sylar - said that she had been chasing him over the country... I THINK she may have said the number of murders she attributed to him. Maybe a way of working out how many different powers he has.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for HopefulNebula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but we don't know if she's counting "collateral damage"--unpowered people like Frozen Guy's Wife and the beer truck driver from one of the GNs--in that number.

--------------------
--R. Buckminster Fuller

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There probably would have been collateral damage added to that total(and I seem to remember someone saying that his victims had no physical marks.. maybe they were non-powered ones so he didn't cut their heads off), but I'm sure Mrs.Frozen Guy would have had a power, because she was Molly's mother and in several cases we've seen children who have two powered parents.

I think Papa Petrelli's still alive because they've said he had a power and he "committed suicide", which is the same cover story Nathan used when Peter first used his powers. Maybe he disagreed with his wife's plan to blow up NY?

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

If Mrs. Frozen Guy had had a power, Sylar would have cut her brain out. Unless she didn't know about it, and he didn't know about it. Either way, he didn't get the power.

--------------------
--R. Buckminster Fuller

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I wasn't sure if she'd been can-opened or not. I suppose Sylar would have taken her power if she'd had one.

--------------------

HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

Nope. Skewered and pinned to the wall with every knife in the kitchen.

Of course, if she didn't know she had a power, Sylar might not have known either. He *was* going by Suresh's map. So you could be right. Either way, though, we have no idea the ratio of powered to non-powered people he's killed.

--------------------
--R. Buckminster Fuller

HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

It looks like they're gonna be continuing the GNs through the hiatus. There's a Haitian story up now.

--------------------
--R. Buckminster Fuller

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool!

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

A few more things...

The cockroach on the sewer manhole cover - after the "death"? of Sylar... there was also an insect in the cell (a cockroach I think) he was kept in at Primatech paper - when he 'died' previously. I wonder what this is about.

Secondly, Bennett asked Mohinder at one point "are you on the list" - is it possible he has got a talent?

--------------------

Johnny
Member # 878

The cockroach is just symbolism really. One of the writers stated explicitly that Sylar doesn't turn into insects, just in case anyone had been wondering.

--------------------

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The plaza where the showdown took place is actually in L.A., not New York (yay local filming!). Jen and I took our pictures in front of the orange thing when we happened to drive past it whilst we were in town for Celebration IV last month. I'll have pics up soon. [Smile]

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, we've only just finished in the UK. But we got a Torchwood season 2 trailer, so, nyah.

I've been thinking about the timeline, ever since "Five Years Gone."

The way I see it, in the original timeline Hiro tried to stop the bomb by killing Sylar, only to have him regenerate because he had taken Claire's power. Apart from that, everything else happened pretty much as we saw it over the course of the season apart from the absence of Claire because she'd been gotten early on.

Perhaps in that timeline Hiro still got flicked towards that building by Sylar and had to make his emergency jump to 17th Century Japan, and when he got back it was too late. He then spent all that time in Isaac's loft figuring out what he had to do to change things, and came to the conclusion that if Sylar couldn't regenerate, then he'd succeed at killing him. Hence his (future Hiro's) trip way way back to tell Peter "Save the cheerleader, save the world."

However, when he gets back to his present, he finds things the same. But this time there's a difference - "our" Hiro appears, and tells him something he didn't know - his message worked, and Claire was saved (but has been in hiding, so to Future Hiro she's still dead, effectively, but actually isn't).

One question that hasn't been answered from my perspective is this: do you need regenerative powers to survive being the source of an Exploding Man-style nuclear explosion? Because if you do, it leads to a bit of a plot hole: in the first timeline, who was the Exploding Man? It couldn't be either Peter or Sylar because they're still alive (Peter in hiding; Sylar as the president, having gotten Nathan and Candice at some point before or after the explosion) - so it might have been Ted. In the second timeline, it was definitely Peter because he says as much, but he has the regenerative ability because he saved Claire (but then, why that scar?). Of course, if the Exploding Man power doesn't harm its actual wielder then it's not so much of an issue.

Or, perhaps there's only ever been one timeline! Claire always survived, but Future Hiro mistakenly assumed it was Jackie who was the cheerleader who needed saving.

So in the end it came down to the way things happened at Kirby Plaza. Future Hiro was actually right in that you saved the world by saving the cheerleader, but not in the way he originally thought. Because Claire's survival meant she met Nathan, and was able to speak to his conscience and thus get him to intervene at the crucial moment.

Someone's promised us all the s2 eps to date, and we may take them up on it. Unless Minutey wants to give me another lecture on intellectual property rights. . ?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Ted's power didn't harm him. I also don't think the other heroes knew it wouldn't harm Peter. I know Peter was only concerned with not blowing up New York, and wasn't thinking about himself. Notice in the early episodes of the second season, Peter's considered missing, and not dead.

How does that revise your theories?

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps