Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Sci-Fi Computer Games: (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Sci-Fi Computer Games:
Chris StarShade
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is your favorite sci-fi space flight sim?

X-Wing/TIE-Fighter/X-W vs. T/F

Wing Commander

Descent (included for completeness)

Freespace

Other?

IP: Logged
David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Somewhere between Bridge Commander (properly modded) and Babylon 5: Into the Fire (still hoping).

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TIE Fighter. No contest. One of the best PC games ever, I think.

[ March 08, 2002, 00:10: Message edited by: Sol System ]

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps not entirely the same, but Homeworld was a kickass game.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

tie fighter is great, but the wing commander games are still the best sci fi flight games, imho. i cut my teeth on privateer, and i would play wing commander3 and 4 over and over. i got into wing commander 1 and 2 later on, but they are equally fab.

--jacob

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I totally agree with you EdipisReks.

I got WC1 for my old 386 back in 1991/2, (back in simpler days) then got WC3 when we upgraded the PC to a P1 75 with a CD-rom. I missed WC2 and got WC4 for my own PC (before my recent upgrade).

I'd like to get my hands on Wing Commander: The Kilrathi Saga (due to missing WC2, having a faulty CD for WC3 and totally missing out on the secret missions for WC1). Does anyone know where in the UK I can get my hands on a copy and will it work on Windows ME? [Confused]

Cheers!

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

yeah, i played wc 3 on a p75 system right when it came out. blew the pants of my friend who had a 486 dx2-66: "like dude...it's...SO SMOOTH!!!" [Big Grin] i've been trying to get my hands on the kilrathi saga, and i haven't been able to [Frown] . the kilrathi saga was just wc 1-3 ported to win95, so it should work fine in winME (but no garuntees, it is, afterall, microsoft we're talking about).

--jacob

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with Harry. Homeworld was really pretty excellent. For those who have not played it it's a little strange and fairly difficult. You command a fleet of ships (capital ships ranging from the lowly frigate up through the destroyer, carriers and even battleships and corvettes and fighters) in a galaxywide plight home. You control the movement and orders of these ships in 3space similar to how you might control ground units in Starcraft. But now you've got this whole 3D thing to deal with and since you can only detect the bad guys out so far it can be hard to get the hang of it.
Tie fighter was still probably my fav fighter sim, though. Was it just me or were the missions getting WAY too impossible towards the end there?

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to see something like "Caesar II" except based on the old FASA "Renegade Legion" RPG.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tie Fighter was the best ever, also basically any from the Mechwarrior/Battletech series was good. Mechwarriors 2,GBL expac, 3, 4, and Mechwarrior Mercenaries were great. Homeworld reminded me of Battlestar Galactica. Wing Commander was ok. never got into the Descent or the Freespace games. havn't found a Star Trek game that i've found exeptionally well made. But i think bridge commander may be the best in a mediocre line of games IMHO.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bridge Commander does stand out... along with Elite Force (and BotF, although I have some reservations about that bag o' bugs). Looks like the license is *finally* being put to good use.

Me and sci-fi games go way back... I can still vividly remember playing the first Elite on my old but trusty C-64 [Smile] The epic scope and feeling has never really been equalled - Privateer I & II were decent, but "not quite" on the same level - I eagerly anticipate the upcoming Freelancer.

I try to avoid comparing the Star Wars spacesims to the various Wing Commander installments. Both series have achieved legendary status - and a permanent little corner on my harddrive - and both have their strengths and weaknesses. WC was more epic, though... an experience you'll never forget. Just trying to get the games to load properly was a challenge in and of itself - they pushed the technological edge to the limit.

Homeworld was, and still is, brilliant. Basically redefined the RTS genre.

Worked my way through all the Descent titles and their Freespace spinoffs. Trashing robots was fun, but became a bit repetetive. Freespace I was a rather simplistic WC clone, but its sequel completely blew the competition away.

BTW, Shik: The Renegade Legions boardgame was in fact converted to a space-combat simulator (way back in '95)... solid, but couldn't touch the reigning champions of the time.

The Babylon 5 title has been canned / iced / 86'ed. No chance that it'll ever be released.

[ March 09, 2002, 06:22: Message edited by: Cartman ]

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I had it...it was based on "Interceptor." I wasn't too thrilled with it so I sold it (but not before I scanned in all the cool drawings in the ID cards! Fortunately I also have 3 of the games).

What I'd like of it is a cross between Harpoon, Caesar II, & something else I've got the image of in my mind. :::sighs::: If only i was still in touch with my old friend Nick. He & I used to crosslink & tweak games all the time. What fun we had. Ever replay the Battle of Midway with modern combat jets taking off from old Essex-class carriers? We did.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by EdipisReks:
yeah, i played wc 3 on a p75 system right when it came out. blew the pants of my friend who had a 486 dx2-66: "like dude...it's...SO SMOOTH!!!"

Yeah, those were the good old days! [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by EdipisReks:
the kilrathi saga was just wc 1-3 ported to win95, so it should work fine in winME (but no garuntees, it is, afterall, microsoft we're talking about).

I see . . . so where does WinME fit in the grand scheme of OS? There was Win3.1, Win3.11, Win95, Win98, now Win2000, WinNT and WinXP - what's the order after Win98 and where does WinME fit? Oh yeah, I read in a mag that WinME can't handle 512MB+ of Ram - becomes unstable - that true? [Confused]

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's just it. ME doesn't fit in anywhere. It's buggy. Unstable. Slow. To be avoided. Nothing to see here. Move along.

(Or if you must know: ME was released in late '99 - a date best forgotten)

And man [Mad] , cut back [Big Grin] on those [Smile] smilies [Razz]

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

windowsME was just a window dressing {no pun intended)of windows98. it is pretty buggy, but no more than anyother win9x based operating system.

--jacob

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps