Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Sci-Fi Computer Games: (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Sci-Fi Computer Games:
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The person who does Cornfed also did Grimlock? Wow. The things you learn.

I remember know when he was in the PPGs too. He played a truant officer, "Jack Wednesday" I belive, and he made the Gang Green Gang go to school. Aren't you interested?

Still, our rather cool nano-tech augmented agent was in California Dreams? Oh dear...

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How fun to hear of a fellow Barnstormer (nudge?), and it being you of all people!

Keeping the ball rolling, what are people's thoughts on "Crusader: No Remorse" and ditto ":No Regret"?

I absolutely loved it, I heard it was based on the same game-engine as "Ultima IV: Avatar" or something.
Anyhow, getting better guns and shooting guards and droids was very fulfilling, as was finding out how to finish a level in the best way possible.

And the real actors cast was wonderfully pulp!!
My "favourite" was Weasel the Gunrunner, he was so delightfully crappy in his interpretation of the lines he had been given, me and my friends got some good laughs.
Back in the time when a 486-66 or FirstGen P-90 with a *GASP*Soundcard! would get you where you wanted to go. *sniff*

Thoguhutas?

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I picked up a budget version of both Crusader games when I was in the US back in 1997. I played the first two levels, loved them, and then I sat on the CD and broke it. Ho hum.
Flower Man
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Also calling Half-Life one of the worst 3 sci-fi games ever is pretty much right up there with "God, LA Confidential was a bit shit, wasn't it" in the big list of all time wrong things to say that are wrong.

Ok. I must say that Half Life is much better than many of the other games out there, but for me, if a game doesn't have some kind of plot or story behind it, the game becomes nothing more that a senseless "shoot everything that moves" game rather than a "shoot everything that moves because you have at least a semi-good reason to do so" game.
IP: Logged
Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Psy: Kind of like when you, like, meet a nice girl, take her to the Niagara Falls where she falls over the edge.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
uhhh, or person.

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Nim
Member # 205

Right right, where she falls over the person.
What?

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe the "jackass" remark was a little much, but i found half-life to be boring from about the middle to near the end. But Red Faction kept me entertained all the way through. Maybe cause it was different than half-life. cause half-life reminded me of alot of other sci-fi or fantasy games where evil aliens or demons came charging through some portal or something. (Doom, Doom 2, Serious Sam although i wouldn't call it sci fi, Duke Nukem 3d, that one was actually fun for a while) Red Faction was way different, revolting against a tyranical corporation, and finding the hiddin conspiracies. Tachyon was similar, that's why i liked it. And that's why i think it's the best so far. And i used the geo-mod technology to my advantage alot of times. Blowing out parts of the ceiling and the rubble would push the tough enemies to thier doom. instead of wasting 2 or 3 rockets to take them out.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Chris StarShade
Ex-Member

On Half-Life:

If it is trying to kill you, you have a pretty good reason to shoot at it.

In addition, there was a plot, in case you didn't pick it up, here it is.

A big government conspiracy reveals that there is another world closely linked to ours (either through a thinning in curvy space-time or in a totally different space-time, hard to tell).

OUR scientists begin abducting a few of them for studies (mostly barnacles).
Then, testing one of the crystalline substances found in Nevada to see if it would work for the next expedition, we discover the aliens were ready for us and sent their whole damned number of troops through a vortex (as well as some wild animals) to take us down.

And so, the government, a bit upset about this, sends in the military to shut everyone up (and to go through the vortex and conquer the alien domain of Xen).

Not quite knowing what he's doing, Gordon Freemen makes it possible for Xen to be secured.

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TAHT IS ONE OF TEH UNIQAST STORIE LINES EVAR!11 WEHRE IS TEH PULMISER!!/1 FOR TEH STORY!@1.
Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On Crusader:

Ah yes, one (or two) of the classic DOS games....
It had an uber-cliched plot, horrible acting, an amusing MOD soundtrack, gratuitous violence...but still totally fun
A surreal Easter egg with christmas music too [Smile]

On B5:ITF :

Yep, totally dead. Would have been amazing....but its been dead so long that by now, even if it was revived, it probably wouldn't be all that playable. A real pity. On the bright side, you can get five or six songs from its soundtrack [Smile]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Liking "Red faction" over Half-life is pretty much the computer game equivalent of saying "Return of the Jedi was obviously better than The Empire Strikes Back".

To be fair, in Half-Life's case (in fact, in most computer games cases), the plot itself is less important than say a book. It's about presentation, how the player is immersed, whether it's fun, and whowhatzits.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Chris StarShade
Ex-Member

Character development is very detracting from sci-fi space simms. It didn't do much good for Wing Commander.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Apart from making it a hugely successful franschise?

Wing Commander 1 would be on my top ten list of games. If I had such a list. And although I look back now and laugh, I have to say that at the time I really enjoyed playing WCIII and IV. Despite (or perhaps because of) Mark.

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Incidently, what's with that (very amusing) bit in blasphemy where Dante says he prefers Empire over Jedi, and Randal says "Blasphemy!" Is this supposed to be an example of Randal's general cantankerousness, or what?

Er...amusing bit in the film Clerks, that is. I'd change it, but I'm too amused by the mistake at the moment.

[ April 11, 2002, 00:51: Message edited by: Sol System ]

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps