Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Sci-Fi Computer Games: (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Sci-Fi Computer Games:
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm. I've never noticed an error with WinMe. Except a week ago, where I got my registry all messed up. Oh well, backup, reformat, reinstall. Repeat as necessary, I suppose.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something that has been quite overlooked in the community is "Tachyon: The Fringe", by Novalogic in -00.

I quite liked it, in fact I played it all over again, for both sides, when I got my new computer with XP three months ago.

Firing the Deimos heavy laser in crosslinked quad-mode, with 3d acceleration (required) and 1024x768res is really something, and it has the best ship-explosions I have ever seen, really glowy-fiery-Anime like.

Also, the narration by Bill Campbell is great, he really adds the "mercenary scoundrel"-element to the main character.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tachyon was a good game, but Red Faction is the best FPS sci fi game out there, it may be eclipsed by jedi Knight: Dark Forces 3, but we'll have to see.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh...I'm sure it might be, but, those weren't the kinds of games we were talking about.
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well then, I thought Japanese Tentacle Rape Fifteen was the best JTR-Shooter yet.
Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, and the famous God with a thousand "heads" is a powerful ally indeed...

And I believe Red Faction is shit. The hyped-up feature that you can blow up anything, like tunnels in walls is so damn limited (50 blasts or so) that it never gives you a real edge against the enemy.

The most exciting space-sim I played was Wing Commander IV, which really sucked me into the plot. Cinematically, it was superior to Tie Fighter, but TF will always be my number one inside.

"X-Wing Alliance" was good, how about that new Millennium Falcon design, the YT-2000? Three turrets and thrice the shielding of any snub fighter... *homer-drool*

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh that's just great! Now I'm told.

The guy that I bought it from sells his new PCs with WinME - unless you ask for another. Should I have asked for WinXP? If I get XP in the future, will there be any major problems with the change?

Bugs? Oh yeah, I know about them. The most annoying one is where *.jpg files are saved as *.jpeg and are not recognised by any of my software. [Mad]

WinXP? I wonder if he'll do a swap and just let me pay the difference . . . . . .

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
anyone who thinks red faction (with its bad plot, over hyped geo mod engine, and dated graphics) is the best sci fi game ever probably hasn't played very many sci-fi games. tachyon was good, but i kept comparing it to privateer while i was playing, and i have yet to play a game of this kind that comes close to privateer (i hope that the upcoming freelancer is as good as it looks!). akb1979, as long as you aren't having major problems with winME, i would just stick to it, as XP really isn't that great. the microsoft operating system that i use is win2000 professional, but my OS of chose right now is debian linux. once you learn linux, it's hard to go back to microsoft os's, though it is generally a good idea to keep some kind of windows around for games, etc.

--jacob

IP: Logged
akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I emailed the guy and this is what he said in reply:

"Windows XP is good for business use and new games, however if you are a game player it is generally poor."

Now what do you say to that?

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd say he didn't know what he was talking about.

XP and 2K are based on the NT core, which is a heck of a lot better than the old 16-bit MS-DOS code-based kernel used by 9X and ME. It combines the stability and advantages of a multi-user OS (such as Linux) with the speed and easy-to-use interface of previous Windows versions. It manages memory a LOT more efficiently than ME ever could. It is far less bloated. It supports NTFS.

In short: do yourself a favor and get rid of Millenium.

Nim
Member # 205

I've played about twenty different games for about four months now, since getting my Dell 1600MHz with WinXP.
I haven't had one blue screen of death or one hangup in one game, except for a demo I downloaded that had a bug, which the producers already had warned about.
And the startup time from pressing the power button is about 10-15 seconds.
No damn memory count or harddrive-ID status check, just "Pop goes the weasel!".

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Red faction is the best fps sci fi game out there because there aren't very many. jackass.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They almost ALL are. Christ.
EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Da_bang80, sci-fi games make up a very, very very large percentage of non sports games. go to a computer game store sometime, and do a tally of sci-fi games vs non sci-fi games. and you must have lost part of your frontal lobe if you think that red faction is better than half-life, system shock 1/2, deus ex, unreal, quake, doom, halo or any other multitude of great sci-fi first person shooters. hell, arguably the best game EVER (that game being half-life) is a sci-fi first person shooter! right back at ya, jackass

[edit: how could i forget about aliens vs predator 1 and 2, and the dark forces games! jeez, have you not played jedi knight?!?! that game REALLY REALLY REALLY fucking rocks! man, looks like sci-fi first person shooters make up a REAL REAL big part of the list of great games. oh, but i forgot, there aren't any sci-fi FPS's, so relative trash like red faction is the best [Roll Eyes] .]

--jacob

[ March 11, 2002, 18:32: Message edited by: EdipisReks ]

IP: Logged
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to get into an argument, but yes, ME is in some ways far worse than Win 98. Microsoft release a new OS. It's buggy. A SE and several internet patches later, and it's fine.

Now fast forward to 2001. Microsoft are working on a fairly radical upgrade of the Windows system, while 3 men and a cat of some sort continue to update the older system. Bill is getting bored. Bill wants a new house. Bill needs money to advertise XP. Bill tells the ME lot to just finish the line they are on and release the thing. They do. It's buggy. No-one cares because half the mugs fell for Bill's other tactic of calling NT 5 "Windows 2000", and the other half don't care because ME will only be the "ne" OS for about 5 months.

Simon is right about TIE Fighter. I had a Yamaha XH MIDI card, and it sounded...well...awesome. And at the time, the site of those massive Star Destroyers pretty much made a mess of my trousers. It took all the good stuff from X-Wing, removed the bad stuff (like the endless waiting around and the lack of clarity over mission objectives), and you ended up with one of the best PC games of all time. Alliance is also pretty good, but judging both as products of their time, TIE Fighter wins.

It also portrays cnub to capital ship fighting a teeny bit more realistically than in Wing Commander. Blair could often shoot down several capital ships a mission, whereas in the Star Wars games taking on a Star Destroyer in an X-Wing is pretty much suicide (but just about possible, if you are God).

I do actually have a guilty liking for the WC games. I finished WC4 over a weekend of constant playing. Which also shows it up a bit. The TIE Fighter Collector's CD lasted about 20 times as long, mainly because it had 7 billion missions on it.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps