Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Sci-Fi Computer Games: (Page 3)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Sci-Fi Computer Games:
EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i destroyed LOTS of star destroyers with an x-wing. you don't have to be a god, you just have to have a strategy, and you had to know the laser coverage of the ships really well. i'm a lot better sim pilot now than i was then, but i'd probably have a hard time with a star destroyer because i have probably forgotten the laser coverage of the capital ships (though i would have to try it to see if all that playing left an indelible memory or not).

blair could blow up so many capital ships because he was an over the top kinda guy [Big Grin] . i beat all of the wing commander games in a couple days of constant playing. tie fighter always took me about 5 days to beat, if i had the time (i found that it was harder to sit down to tie fighter for 8 hours than it was for the wing commander games, so that may very well account for the time difference.) viva la wing commmander!

--jacob

IP: Logged
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
The TIE Fighter Collector's CD lasted about 20 times as long, mainly because it had 7 billion missions on it.

Note that Liam is using the proper British English definition of billion which to us yanks equates to approximately a bazillion.

I was able to bring down a Star Destroyer in X-Wing, but I was in a B-Wing, and it took a really long time. The good tactic to use was to make repeated runs at the rear, trying to disable it with the (IIRC) ion cannon, and breaking off when your shields get too low. You hang out behind and above the bridge, and then to unload on it with your main guns once it stops beating the crap out of you with it's turrets. It still took like 30 min. My tiny attention span was so challenged by this.
Part of the reason TIE was so very cool because you could pick off individual gun emplacements (and key systems) on the ships. I seem to remember one of my fav missions was an early one briging down a small Calamari cruiser. Still took a while, but it sure was fun.

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also have fond memories of taking out cap ships. There was something about it, yourself in your tiny craft, and this huge destroyer in the depths of space, playing a deadly game of cat and mouse.

Then X-Wing Vs. Tie Fighter came along with its mag pulses and it was a piece of piss.

--------------------
"Out of doubt, out of dark to the day's rising
I came singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.
To hope's end I rode and to heart's breaking:
Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall!"

The Battle of the Pelennor Fields.

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

i believe there was mag pulse in the original tie fighter, too.

--jacob

Chris StarShade
Ex-Member

There was. Sheesh this topic expanded since I posted it!

Judging from this, I think the next game I get will be Homeworld.
[Wink]

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Edipisreks: "blair could blow up so many capital ships because he was an over the top kinda guy [Big Grin] ."

You really put a smile on my face there. :-)

*grandpa mode* That reminds me of "Wings", the old WW1 arcade flight-sim for Amiga 500, one of the true classics.
I played it from about 1990 to 1992, it was a fuck of a lot more entertaining than "Red Baron" (great graphics and audio for its time), and once I downed ten airplanes, two of which were Fokker DreiDeckers, without one bullethole in me plein.
They don't make'em like that no more, kiddies.

This is from the new "Wings"-resurrection to Gameboy Advance. http://www.cinemaware.com/gbawings_main.asp?ss=0

Oh, to see that Kraut lose altitude and follow his burning plane (close behind, pumping additional bullets into him even though it's not necessary), all the way to the ground, and then sharply turn up. Mmm...
Cliff Yablonski would've loved it, if he could operate a joystick, that is.

Anyone else here played this?

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Flower Man
Ex-Member

My top 5 favorite sci-fi games, in no paticular order are.........

Starcraft & Starcraft: Brood War: The cut scenes in this game are classic. Bottom line!

Tie Fighter: I've played that game so much and to this day, I have never beat it. Primarily because, as PsyLiam has stated, Tie Fighter has a seemingly infinite number of missions in it. Many complain about the fact that games nowadays are too short. Tie Fighter had the opposite problem. It was WAY too long.

Everquest: This game is quite addictive. For whatever reason, I go through these phases where I wouldn't play it for 3 months, and just out of the blue it would be the only game I would play for the next 4 months. Wierd. [Confused]

The Journeyman Project 3: Live action scenes. Real actors playing the charactors. A decent plot. (As far as computer game standards go.) A touch of humor. And cool puzzles. What's not to like about this game!?!?!?

The Tex Murphy trilogy: I admit to only playing two out of the three Tex murphy games, but the two I've played where pretty good. I've heard the one that I haven't played (The Pandora Directive) was, by far, the best in the trilogy. I'd damn near do anything to get my hands on a copy of The Pandora Directive. Anywho, like The Journeyman Project 3, it provided live action scenes, real actors portraying the charactors, good and challanging puzzles, and a nice touch of humor. The Tex Murphy trilogy is, by far, one of the best sci-fi games to have ever hit the market.

My top 3 worst sci-fi games are.....

Half-Life: For a simple shoot 'em up game, it is ok, but Half-life doesn't deliver when it comes to a plot or a story behind what the hell is going on. All I've managed to deduce from the game is that some kind of experimental thingamajig (the game doesn't explain what the hell the thing is nor what it's supposed to do.) malfunctions and because of this, wierd monster-like things begin poping up out of no where. (The game doesn't explain where the hell these things are from or why the malfunction is causing them to pop up in the Black Mesa facility. ) While you are trying to escape you manage to get multiple glimpses of this guy in a business suit holding a briefcase walking around in the Black Mesa facility. (The game doesn't explain who the f**k this guy is or what he was doing there. And to top it all off, when the military finally showes up, rather than rescue anyone, they kill everything in sight. Including the survivors of the accedent. ( Once again, the game doesn't explain why.) I'm sure you are begining to see my point at this point. I'll just move on.

Dark Forces: What really burned my ass about this game was the absolutly f**ked up map designs in each level. In some of the levels, switches for doors or elevators were tucked away deep within a ventalation shaft or some other obscure area where you'd least be likely to find a switch for a door or something. Then, for whatever reason, finding a Gran packing thermal detonators in the middle of an Imperial facility or something like that wasn't that uncommon in this game. The control consoles you'd have to shoot at in order to operate doesn't help much either.

Star Wars Podracing: I've played the demo of this game, and it is quite dull. I really have nothing more to say outside of that.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While Half-Life's plot is certainly formulaic, that formula, to me, would seem to make it far easier to understand. Why are horrible aliens pouring through a dimensional gateway? Because that's what happens when you open dimensional gateways. Why is the military killing everyone? Because that's what dark government conspiracies do. And so on.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also calling Half-Life one of the worst 3 sci-fi games ever is pretty much right up there with "God, LA Confidential was a bit shit, wasn't it" in the big list of all time wrong things to say that are wrong.

Out of curiousity, what are your opinions on Deus Ex?

"The Journeyman Project 3: Live action scenes. Real actors playing the charactors."

My god! What an amazing idea that no-one else did back in 1994 when CD's first came out and then immedietly discared because 90% of all the games that used live actors for the FMV were shit.

EdipisReks: You destroyed lots? Every time one appeared? With no help? And without using cheats and playing the game on hard?

I might have exagerrated how hard they were to destroy. But for me, it was always tense. In Wing Commander, a captial ship was only slightly harder than a fighter to kill.

Nim Pim: You are right. Wings is one of the all time greatest games ever, and certainly Cinemaware's best ever effort. The game was swamped with atmosphere, and it was great fun to play. My temptation to get a GBA is now reaching critical levels.

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Deus Ex: THE CHINAMEN IN THIS GAME HAVE THE MOST WORSTEST VOICE ACTING EVER.

So, it's Best. Game. Ever. Well, best First Person Shooter Action Adventure Roleplaying adventure Set in a Future world with cool Technology and augmentations game. Ever.

[ March 14, 2002, 10:22: Message edited by: Supreme Chancellor Ultra von Magnus ]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Almost everyone in Deus Ex has the worst voiceacting ever, which is kind of sad, considering the quality of the rest of the game.

It's also impossibly hard. Damn you MJ12!

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
Almost everyone in Deus Ex has the worst voiceacting ever, which is kind of sad, considering the quality of the rest of the game.

It's also impossibly hard. Damn you MJ12!

Yeah the voiceovers are a bit crap - needed more people to lend their voices. As for it being hard . . . yeah - managed to win on Easy after about 4/5 months, took a little over 7 months on Medium (I was kinda playing 2 games at once) and gave up on Hard and the cheats. [Big Grin] Sorry, but I wanted to see all that I had missed and enjoy it at the same time! [Big Grin]

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which brings me to something that had been buggin me for months. Is JC done by the same person who does Cornfed on Duckman?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

I can't find the credits for Deus Ex online, but it isn't listed in his IMDb entry.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Aha!

Oy. That explains that.

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps