Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Earthforce uniforms? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Earthforce uniforms?
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And that big giant space is in there because....?

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spoiler space.

For the War on Terror.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i wrote a table.. i have no idea why the board did that to it, i didnt add any unusual code, i tired of trying to edit it after three or four times and went to bed and dreamed about going to work.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.st-spike.de/pages/nontrek/ea.htm
Ok, that's what I have so far.

Does anyone have B5 episodes on tape?
I'd like to know some things:

1.) Episode "Ceremonies of Light and Dark"? What did Garibaldi's rank pin look like? IIRC he was identified as Chief Warrant Officer in this episode.
2.) Episode "GROPOS". What did General Franklin's rank insignia look like? Any information about the enlisted rank insignia?
3.) Episode "Exogenesis". What did Corwin's rank insignia look like before and after his promotion to full Lt.

[ March 21, 2003, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have all these eps on tape (annoyingly - what do I do now they're appearing on DVD, and I'm about to get a PC with a DVD drive?), and, if I have time tomorrow (people who are buying our house are coming round at some point) I'll try to look. . . but I can't promise anything even then, as I never was good at spotting the insignia. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:

1.) Episode "Ceremonies of Light and Dark"? What did Garibaldi's rank pin look like? IIRC he was identified as Chief Warrant Officer in this episode.

3.) Episode "Exogenesis". What did Corwin's rank insignia look like before and after his promotion to full Lt.

Not answers. but anyway...

1/ I'd imagine exactly the same as it looks for the rest of the series.

3/ I noticed that Corwin had the leather strap on his uniform in season 3, but not in 2, so I always assumed that only full lieutenants and above got the leather strap. But rewatching it, he actually has it in season 3 episodes before his promotion, so, er, the darkness consumes the candle that burns in our souls. Shadowy. And stuff.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. When Garibaldi is wearing his dress uniform, he still has the same insignia, which is just the polygon closest to the collar and nothing else.

2. Franklin's insignia looks to have a rather large polygon and two bars, which looks similar to Sheridan's. He has the stat bar with a star, however it's all silver.

3. Doesn't look like I have "Exogensis" on tape. [Frown]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thx for the information.

quote:
Originally posted by Topher:
[QB] 1. When Garibaldi is wearing his dress uniform, he still has the same insignia, which is just the polygon closest to the collar and nothing else.

That's what he has in Season 1 too. Just the small brass polygon. But on this picture it appears that the wears the small brass one and a large silver polygon
http://www.scifinuts.com/images/b5/gari.jpg

quote:
2. Franklin's insignia looks to have a rather large polygon and two bars, which looks similar to Sheridan's. He has the stat bar with a star, however it's all silver.
And the polygon and the bars are silver too?

IIRC General Lefcourt from the B5 movie "In the Beginning" also had one polygon and 2 bars but there were stars on the bars.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

The bars look to be silver, but the polygon was brass, I think. I'll have to look again when I get home.
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
re: unknown shoulder patch 3...

I'm trying to remember what department they were said to be with... Office of Presidential Security, or some such.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
How do naval and army command (and air force for that matter) structures mesh together in real life, for that matter?

It's no big deal really. The Navy uses it's own rank system while the Army/Marines/Air Force use the other system. The Coast Guard also uses a Navy rank system. While at Corry Station every military branch and the Coast Guard (which is technically the Department of Transportation) was there. If you have a Navy captain and a Marine captain it doesn't matter, the Navy capt. outranks the Marine officer because their capt. is the equivilent of a Navy lieutenant. Now if you had a Navy capt. and a Marine colonel then it would depend which officer held that rank longer to determine who outranks who.

As for B5 ranks ... I never got that. I think they just pulled out both rank systems and put them together. Which would be fine if they simply did stuff like replace admiral with general.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah.. the conversion chart was posted by moi, last page.

of course, the rank system being skewed could be a side effect of time and combination with other militaries.. no doubt the US or British system might change depending on the needs/requirements of the Earthforce heirarchy.. they dont seem to be as divided down army/navy lines as the armed forces today.. and remember that a lot of ranks we know are the result of restructuring of ancient systems.. the rank of 'commander' was one of the last ones created, as of only a few hundred years ago, there were just various degrees of lieutenant and captain.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been thinking a bit about this. . . The ranks that I know we saw on the show were, in likely order of seniority:

Generals (various)
Colonels
Captains (naval)
Majors
Commanders
Lieutenant Commanders
Lieutenants (various)
Ensigns
Other Ranks

It's tricky. . . Colonel Ben-Zayne definitely outranked a Commander, yet Major 'Older Braxton' (I forget his name) seemed to be roughly equal to a (naval) Captain - he didn't defer to Sheridan nor order him about; and, he was friends with the Captain of the Clarkstown which suggests a potential closeness in age or rank. The situation is, however, the same with Major Krantz, in charge of B4 - he seemed roughly equal to Commander Sinclair.

Interesting how Major Ryan (I looked it up this time) was the effective second-in-charge on the Alexander: it looked like General Hague was the captain of the ship, with a Major as his exec (thereby removing the need to have a Captain-in-fact and a Captain-by-rank on the same ship).

I think the choice to make Ben-Zayne a Colonel was a clever one: given EarthForce is on the whole more of a Naval organisation, with GROPOs the marines, there probably aren't a lot of Colonels - and those there are would all be waiting to make General. So if Arichops felt that commanding B5 would ensure his step-up to General, it would explain his mental state.

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always got the impression that Major Krantz deferred to Sinclair in "Babylon Squared"... but then, Krantz was a weenie.

It's also interesting to note that while the rank of Admiral was mentioned (albeit only once), Ivanova was definitely in the "naval" service and ended up as a General. She also went from Commander to Captain, bypassing Major.

I think that the ranks of Colonel and Major are actually supposed to be primarily the ground service officers, in a partially-separated structure. Generals in EarthForce have authority over both the EarthForce Marines and the EarthForce Navy, but from there on down the command structure is separate.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Lee
Member # 393

Yeah, but Ryan wore navy Blue. . . Krantz is easy enough, he was in security Grey.

--------------------

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps