Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The Duration of the Battle of Wolf 359 (Page 10)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: The Duration of the Battle of Wolf 359
Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:
Need to add the caveat "presuming the Endeavour was there", just to make sure we all know you understand there's no evidence supporting that position. [Wink]

--Jonah

Oh, sorry.

For "the Endeavour", read "whichever ship survived and collected the escape pods". [Smile]

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup. All that was even mentioned was that Captai Amisov SAID that the Borg were really not nice. I don't think they even mentioned that the Endeavor ever encountered them, no? For all we know, the Endeavor was looing over the remains of a Borg encounter, or just barely managed to escape one themselves, or Amisov had just finished watching "Kill Borg Vol. 1" on the holodeck.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that the fact Janeway doesn't mention how the Endeavour encountered the Borg is an important factor here.

If it was the sole surviving ship of Wolf 359, presumably it would be famous, and could just be mentioned without qualification.

However, if it just fought the Borg in some random battle, she would probably have said "the Endeavour, which encountered the Borg 3 years ago" or something.

What were her exact words in that scene?

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know Janeway said she'd been going over actual encounters with the Borg looking for insight. Amisov was one of the captains she quoted. It stands to reason that he actually encountered them.

Think too of how the captain of the only ship to survive that battle... most likely barely survived... would feel about the Borg after having watched them slaughter the crews of 39 other ships. I think it would jive pretty well with what his log entry said.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
its possible he was the xo of a destroyed ship at wolf 359 who escaped in an escape pod, and then became captain of another ship.. i mean, that's sisko's story

saying 'Captain Sisko of the Defiant says the Borg are, like, totally the worst enemy ever' doesnt necessarily follow that the Defiant was the only ship that escaped 359..

logic, kids

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That would be Captain Sisko of that rusty ex-Cardassian starbase that somehow was worth keeping.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Phoenix:
I think that the fact Janeway doesn't mention how the Endeavour encountered the Borg is an important factor here.

That's what I was trying to say. If Janeway is equating another captain with Picard concerning experiences with the Borg, then he's got to be pretty famous.

I also take serious issue with the idea of other skirmishes with the Borg taking place -- with Starfleet hearing about them, anyway. Consider that both times we saw the Borg in TNG after BOBW, it came as a major shock and was treated as a serious threat. Heck, Starfleet had a whole fleet running around on the border when the colonies were threatened following the single attack in "Descent." I find it hard to believe that Starfleet knew that any Borg were snooping around their borders, if there really were Borg scouts on a regular basis at all.

Not to mention that between "Q Who?" and BOBW, it was as if Starfleet hadn't heard anything from the Borg at all. That was why Starfleet thought they had more time to prepare, after all.

Therefore, if any Starfleet ships were met by the Borg, either before or after BOBW, had to have been out of contact and were destroyed or assimilated entirely.

Which means that Captain Amasov was most likely a survivor of Wolf 359, commanding the ship that got away. Because I somehow doubt that Janeway was looking for inspiration from desk-bound analysts who were just reacting to the casualty numbers afterwards... Also, I think that the casualties would've been pretty high aboard most every ship.

On a related topic, there's one thing that no one's brought up directly, but has been mentioned many times -- the fact that the Borg assimilated lots of Starfleet people at the battle. So, that means that all those wrecks we saw didn't have very many corpses in them... because a few hours previously there were Borg wandering through their corridors.

So, if whichever ship Hanson was on wasn't vaporized outright, then we could've seen a pair of mechanized arms reaching onto the screen to grab poor Admiral J.P. at one point. (Yeah yeah, the transmission was jammed...)

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't remember -- has anyone suggested Amasov wasn't the captain of the Endeavour yet at the time of Wolf 359?

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps we should shut one of these threads down... We're dicussing the same things on each of them now.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another option is that Asimov and the Endeavour encountered Lores borg for a skirmish.
(while "captain beverly" was on watch for several hours before the borg returned).

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Prowl Alpha
Member # 1139

- posted      Profile for Prowl Alpha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is ,also, that Klingon version of Wolf 359 seen in Unity I believe. The Endeavour and a few others could have been sent to help out.

Or maybe the Endeavour had a quickie with the Borg like the Tombaugh and the Excalibur.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It isn't unreasonable to assume that the Enterprise wasn't the last ship to come across the Borg vessel from "I, Borg." And if it was primarily interested in keeping an eye on things, rather than assimilating, it might explain why the unlucky starship captains involved managed to survive long enough to write about.
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:
I can't remember -- has anyone suggested Amasov wasn't the captain of the Endeavour yet at the time of Wolf 359?

--Jonah

quote:
Originally posted by Capped in Mic:
its possible he was the xo of a destroyed ship at wolf 359 who escaped in an escape pod, and then became captain of another ship.. i mean, that's sisko's story

saying 'Captain Sisko of the Defiant says the Borg are, like, totally the worst enemy ever' doesnt necessarily follow that the Defiant was the only ship that escaped 359..

logic, kids

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although both threads started out different, they seem to have converged. . . I still say, it's daft to assume the mianstream Federation's only contact with the Borg - in whgich the Starfleet ships weren't totally destroyed - were the Enterprises', and Wolf 359, and Typhon/Sector 001.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoops. Wrong thread... [Embarrassed]

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps