Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The Duration of the Battle of Wolf 359 (Page 6)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: The Duration of the Battle of Wolf 359
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks like Hanson is in his ready room or in a conference room in that picture. It definitely doesn't look like a bridge. In reality, it's a chair with a table in front of it and piece of wall behind him. This would make sense, as I doubt he would have this kind of conversation on the bridge.

And yah... if someone get get a screen grabby of the bridge set he's on during the battle that would be great.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nine posts before yours. Mark posted some.

I also have no problem with Hanson being on a Galaxy, one of the first six. Even being destroyed, it could quite painlessly be replaced long before the Dominion War episodes of DS9.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well the Galaxy would have been readily destroyed with Locuts in charge. [Wink]

Not too smart on JP's part.

I still cant fathom what the hell an Oberth was doing at that battle...

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw the pics Mark posted. They are of Riker on the Ent. Battle Bridge and Hanson in a room before the battle... I'm talking about pictures of the Ent. viewscreen showing Hanson *during* the battle.

Heh... in Mark's second picture of Hanson... anyone notice that his com badge appears to be falling off his uniform? [Smile]

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They had some extra Nameless Ensigns that they couldn't fit onboard the other ships, perhaps?

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget that Hanson's signal being cut off doesn't necessarily mean he was destroyed at that moment. It just means the signal was cut off. This could have been because his ship's transponder was damaged, interference from all those warp cores going boom, or the Borg just deciding to jam everyone because they're sick of all that noise.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
I still cant fathom what the hell an Oberth was doing at that battle...

As Starfleet was confident they would defeat the Borg, it could have been there to analyse the remains of the cube after the battle.

Presumably when he realised things were going pear-shaped, Hanson threw everything he had at the cube, including the Oberth.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why, getting blown up, of course.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Prowl Alpha
Member # 1139

- posted      Profile for Prowl Alpha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the Bonestell, I think that the ship was retrieving escape pods and off loading the crew of the Saratoga before the ship got nailed with a blast to the saucer.

I am going for the Trinculo being the seventh frame and was in the yards under construction as a replacement for the Yamato. I see no problem with having Hanson on an unnamed GCS. That ship could probably be a new build just to begin trials or just finishing trials.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I were an admiral commanding a fleet that was attacking a nearly-invincible enemy, I sure as hell would not choose a half-finished collection of bolts and girders as my flagship! With thirty-nine others to choose from, I find that extremely unlikely.

I've always liked the idea of the mostly-empty GCS's serving in the Dominion War, myself. But rushing construction of the ships in time to join a two-year-long war is a hell of a far cry from launching a half-finished hull out of the docks on one day's notice. Consider the problems that Picard had in "Redemption, Part II" -- and that was when he had enough time to plan a little bit ahead. As far as was indicated, all of those ships were fully completed -- the closest there was to an unprepared ship was the Sutherland, which had just been commissioned a few weeks previously, according to the dedication plaque. But that was still a finished ship, not a half-finished spaceframe!

I decided to take a really close look at the TNG:TM construction timeline. It seems to me that a very large part of the long assembly time was because of glitches that cropped up during the construction process, especially with the warp engines and nacelles. According to the timeline, more than half of the Enterprise's habitable modules were already installed by 2352, only two years after the start of construction. And the long period from 2360 to 2363 was all shakedown and testing duties -- something that would not be quite as necessary for later ships, once all the kinks had been worked out with the first few ships. I see no reason why the later ships couldn't be constructed in four or five years, maybe six on the outside. (And that's for the fully-assembled ships, not those DS9:TM rush jobs.)

I gotta disagree with that idea of the Bonestell retrieving escape pods, though. The Borg have very clearly never shown any interest in following "rules of war" or anything like that, and indeed announced their intention to assimilate the entire fleet. With the other ships being diced up so easily, sending in the Bonestell as a rescue ship would be nothing short of suicide. Personally, I figure that it was running as an ECM picket or something like that. Obviously, it wasn't very effective, regardless. [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Prowl Alpha
Member # 1139

- posted      Profile for Prowl Alpha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Bonestell was fairly close to the Saratoga when it was hit, it supposedly could have provide covering fire for the Saratoga. The ship could have been an active participant in the battle, itself. We have really do not have all the info on the defensive capablities of an TNG era Oberth type vessel. I am not implying that it was bursting with firepower, but that it did serve a better purpose than just being there or a futuristic radar picket duty.

Even if the GCS was a fresh new build, comparatively to the other ships (except the Bellerophon) It was probably the most powerful Starfleet vessel thrown into the fight. Historically, Fleet COs took the most powerful vessel as the flagship because it was the safest and best imposing image to the enemies.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually a fleet CO would need the ship with the best communications package.
The Bellerophon was more like a lead battleship in that instance (assuming there were not several more Nebula class starships in that fleet).

There were 40 starships at W359 and we've only identified wht? 12?

A GCS certainly coud have been in a second or third wave attacking the Cube.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed. Also it wouldn't be very wise for an Admiral to go in with the first wave.
It's more likely that he hung back with the bulk of the fleet in his GCS and didn't engage the Borg until the Cube had already wiped out the first few waves. Hence "The fight dose not go well.." however the order to retreat and regroup indicates that a good number of ships were left at the time of the transmission.
I envisage a scenario where, in the wake of Hanson's flagship being destroyed, the last remaining ships provide covering fire for the Endeavour -- which has spent most of the battle dodging tractor beams and Borg torpedoes, scooping up as many escape pods and survivors as possible (including the Siskos) -- to escape.

As for the Bonestell, I counted at least two Oberths present in the Battle of Typhon/Sol, one of which was firing on the cube so the must have SOME tactical value.
Perhaps the extensive scientific equipment carried aboard allows them to run interference by disrupting tractor locks and running probing scans on the Borg shields, trying to find a weak spot.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As to the Oberths; all this assumes the ones we saw were just like the others we saw...science vessels. Those puppies might've been testbeds for anti-Borg defenses. That big lower pod could've been outfitted with some huge reactor designed to put up a deflector shield like none you ever saw, or the biggest phototorp launchers ever seen. Hell it might've been equipped as a testbed for quantum torpedo launchers and pressed into action when the Borg showed up early. Or even equipped with some really complicated ECM systems as suggested elsewhere. For all we know that ship was way out on the edge of the battlefield trying to fuck with the Borg's sensors, and the Cube just went after it faster than it could get away. Locutus: "That ship is interfering with my 'resistance is futile' public service announcements. Nail its bum to the nearest quasar."

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Well the Obert's survivability in battle is certainly......nothing!
We've only seen an Oberth survive an apearance on one or two occasions.

On the other hand, the Typhon fleet must have gotten the Borg subspace field somehow or else they would have done zero damage before the Enterprise E arrives. [Wink]

Not that crappy Voyager ever mentioned the field at all anyway. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps