Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The Duration of the Battle of Wolf 359 (Page 8)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: The Duration of the Battle of Wolf 359
SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me neither. There's another possibility. The Battle Bridge was a modified remake of the Star Trek IV Enterprise bridge, and modified yet again for BoBW. So many other class starship bridges have been made out of pieces of that set, instead of it representing another Battle Bridge of a Galaxy Class, it could just as easily be a Main Bridge of any number of other Starfleet ship classes.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^^
this is EXTREMELY true, although the script's GCS supposition does carry some weight with me

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And plenty with me. Again, it's all circumstantial, but combining the same bridge set with the intent of the script sells it for me. Working against it is the set Hanson was on when talking to the Enterprise crew on the monitor, which was a generic grey background used before for Federation comms. It could be any starship (including a GCS) or starbase as an office, ready room, or anything like that.

The BoBW BB set is COMPLETELY different from the one used in EaF and AoF. The first incaranation was either a partial rebuild of the original TOS movie bridge, or something cobbled together from spare parts that were made for it (something discussed earlier in this thread). The second BB set was new, and had been seen previously as the bridges of the Hathaway and Enterprise-C, and would be again for the Bozeman, Pasteur, the Pirate ship in "Gambit", Data's lab, and a variety of other sets.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me it's a case of mutually contradictory hypotheses: the 12 GCS theory does not allow Hanson's ship to be one. I'm not wedded to the 12 GCS theory, based as it is on a throwaway line of GR's, but there's never really been anything solid to dispel it apart from its slight unlikeliness. But the evidence for Hanson's GCS still isn't enough to outweigh it in my opinion.

Now, I know you all want to confirm a previously-unknown GCS. It'd be very exciting if you did - I was, after all, the first person here to look closely at the GCS in the "Tears of the Prophets" preview and identify it as the Galaxy herself - but what could it be? The Trinculo is the only likely candidate.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

kmart
Member # 1092

- posted      Profile for kmart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MrNeutron:
Regarding the "skins" of the Phase 2 bridge, I'll try to remember to ask Andy Probert about that. Since he did a lot of conceptual drawings of the battle bridge for "Encounter at Farpoint", I suspect he'll know what elements were actually used and/or were available.

It should be posible to tell if at least some wall segments were TMP bridge or extra Phase II skins, because the walls of the full set were modified a lot for TMP (extra holes cut in for screens, trim added, etc.). Also, extra skins would have to be wired and rigged with with lights and screens, and any budget conscious producer's gonna go with the already rigged stuff if at all possible.

UPDATE on the fate of the TOS movie bridge! Went throught the audio and text commentary for TREK V last night and about halfway through, Okuda mentions that at some point after TREK IV wrapped and before TREK V started, the TOS movie bridge (apparently still largely intact)was stored OUTSIDE and the tarp blew off, exposing it to the elements and ruining it completely, necessitating the build-a-new-bridge approach for TREK V. He sez that they saved the entryways from the lifts and some of the structural elements on the upper level as well as the helm/nav console, but that was about all that survived.

So now the question is: (and maybe somebody who has all the TNG box sets w/ their extras has this answer)

At what point did the TOS movie bridge buy it? Was it before TNG geared up, or was it after EAF or TNG's first season wrapped? Maybe then we can figure out if the battle bridge WAS the TOS movie bridge, or based on the extra skins created for and left over from phase II, or, as per Zimmerman's odd claim, a whole new set.

--------------------
Achievement is its own reward; pride obscures it.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One possibility I don't think weve touched on is that Hanson was hopping around alot. I think he arrived on the Excelsior Class Melbourne and left on it. He joined the fleet at Wolf 359 and was probably moving around alot getting things set up eventually ending up on the ship he was on during the battle. So the "ready room" set could be on a different ship than the Battle Bridge set.

He was probably just on the Excelsior that met the Enterprise because the ship happened to be in the area. It needn't have been his flagship or anything. Delivering her to Riker would be another reason if that ship is in fact the Melbourne.

Prowl Alpha
Member # 1139

- posted      Profile for Prowl Alpha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am leaning towards the Hanson on GCS movement as well. Unless there substantial evidence that would say other wise. I keep on the track that the Trinculo was the seventh frame.
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't really buy the Hanson on a GCS theory for most of the reasons outlined above and despite the script. Also, we know that there was at least one Nebula there, and bearing in mind the similarity in external design features it's at least possible some of the internal design features are also replicated.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Responding to kmart:

The first BB set was seen as this set, the bridge of the Stargazer, and thinly disguised as a JAG courtroom in "Measure of a man". In this latter appearance, it was in the second season, which is when ST5 was being filmed. In light of this new evidence, this seems to indicate to me that the set was NOT the original TOS movie set - they would have discovered it in peices by then and decided to construct the new one.

OTOH, "upper level structural elements" may simply BE the aft third of the set that is used in the BB and other incarnations. Tough to say, really.

Back to the original debate:

I'm of the opinion that the Trinculo is as circumstantial as the rest of 'em... As far as we know, the ship is ONLY limited to a re-labeling of the 4' model for exhibition purposes, right? By that right, there ought to be a USS Ronald D. Moore because of that DS9 calendar... Sure, the Trinculo's numbers match as one of the original batch, but only if you disregard the Challenger.

Mark

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hanson was on the bridge of the Yamato.
Fucking Captain Varley was just trying to start a war with the borg and...

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A GCS's battle bridge is pretty damn bare minimal. A Miranda or even a Nova has a bigger, roomier bridge with more seated consoles. Thus, I really don't see why any ship class that only has a single bridge would choose to have something as crude as a GCS's battle bridge as their single command center.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can we see any evidence at all of a Galaxy Class ship or even Galaxy Class destroyed components in the garveyard scenes of either BoBW or Emmissary?

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

No, but that means nothing. There are certainly ships that had been COMPELTELY destroyed, damaged beyond beyond recognition, or simply out of the camera shot.

Mark

--------------------

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i wonder what it was named?

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Akira
Member # 850

- posted      Profile for Akira     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well still it could be a Nebula Class battle bridge

Hey what do you know im back [Big Grin]

--------------------
Christopher
[email protected]
SR20Egg

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps