Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The Duration of the Battle of Wolf 359 (Page 11)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: The Duration of the Battle of Wolf 359
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen, Lee. As Sternbach himself said, it's a big galaxy - big enough for the adventures of many, many starships.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*cough*Raven*cough*

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eh?

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as Amisov's expertise on the Borg goes, I'd like to credit him with more than just "I survived Wolf 359". Picard several times was in a position to *study* the Borg, to dictate the terms of their encounter. To rank up with him, Amisov should have been in at least remotely comparable position.

And as said before, Picard in "FC" speaks of the Borg moving forward and the Federation falling back. *We* saw none of this happen in TNG. It would only be natural to assume that somebody like Amisov saw.

Timo Saloniemi

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would indeed...

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh - hardly canon, but apparently one of the short stories in the "New Frontier" anthology is about the Amby-class USS Excalibur that details some of the battle at the beginning of "First Contact". Anyone read it?

Mark

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
As far as Amisov's expertise on the Borg goes, I'd like to credit him with more than just "I survived Wolf 359".

Simple -- Asimov not only SURVIVED, but he also commanded the one ship that fought and scratched and clawed away from the battle and got out in one piece, and managed to rescue several hundred survivors in the process.

I'd call that pretty heroic, myself!

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Timo postulates but nicely in saying there's a lot of falling back and assimilation that we simply haven't seen - like i said, it's a big Galaxy. After all, the very reason we're INTO Trek tech is to fill in a universe which is very hero-centric.

It's sorta like the Bothans in the Star Wars novel universe: never seen, nevertheless a bunch of them died to give the rebels information on the second Death Star. And in EVERY SINGLE FRICKING NOVEL I've read, they go on about how important they were for doing THAT, and ONLY that.

Big galaxy. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
Ooh - hardly canon, but apparently one of the short stories in the "New Frontier" anthology is about the Amby-class USS Excalibur that details some of the battle at the beginning of "First Contact". Anyone read it?

Mark

Is it really worth reading or will motherfuckin' Santa Claus save the day?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if you start from the premise of a typical TOS episode, it's almost inevitable that Santa or the Mad Hatter or Jack the Ripper or Sherlock Holmes gets mentioned... That's not PAD's fault! [Smile]

But not all the NF books are sillinessfests. Plenty of them concentrate on blood and guts and genocide and the evil triumphing over the good. It's the bland middle ground that PAD has definite trouble with. [Wink]

So far, NF has not dealt with the Borg, except as a recurring nightmare for Shelby. AFAWK, the heroes were conveniently elsewhere during the known Borg incidents. The anthology will apparently reveal a different truth.

Timo Saloniemi

Bond, James Bond
Member # 1127

- posted      Profile for Bond, James Bond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
Timo postulates but nicely in saying there's a lot of falling back and assimilation that we simply haven't seen - like i said, it's a big Galaxy.

There's also the possibility that the Borg didn't kill everyone from the New Providence Colony, the USS Lalo, or the Romulan Border Outposts before they destroyed them.

We only see and hear of the aftermath, we don't know how things went down at the time. I'm sure there are a lot of Humans that were assimilated before Wolf 359.

--------------------
"You must talk to him; tell him that he is a good cat, and a pretty cat, and..." -- Data
"I will feed him" -- Worf (Phantasms)

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
We only see and hear of the aftermath, we don't know how things went down at the time. I'm sure there are a lot of Humans that were assimilated before Wolf 359.
Oh, of course there were! Aside from the Raven itself [Roll Eyes] *sigh* ...ahem... there's also the probability that other Starfleet ships ran into the Borg by random chance, and were promptly assimilated. I believe that Voyager once showed an assimilated individual (or was it a personality, in "Infinite Regress"?) from the USS Tombaugh, that was apparently assimilated back in 2362.

I have no problem with a few random starships getting swallowed up by the Borg because of bad luck. However, I really dislike the idea of any sort of consistent activity over the long run. After all, in his opening Captain's Log for "First Contact," Picard said that the Borg had RETURNED. They can't return if they never left in the first place, which is exactly the scenario that some people here are proposing.

Besides, Picard was clearly overstating his case for Lily, because she couldn't contradict him if he exaggerated. And since both Jouret IV and Ivor Prime were assimilated, that most definitely falls under the category of "worlds," the plural form of "world." Combine that with the statement that Starfleet was originally intercepting the FC cube way out in the Typhon Sector and ended up barely stopping the ship in Earth orbit, I'd call that "falling back." So I don't see any problem with Picard's statements. [Razz]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

Bond, James Bond
Member # 1127

- posted      Profile for Bond, James Bond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wasn't excluding the Raven, just putting forth the New Providence, Lalo, and Romulan Border Outposts is all. Jeez.

--------------------
"You must talk to him; tell him that he is a good cat, and a pretty cat, and..." -- Data
"I will feed him" -- Worf (Phantasms)

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

Sorry, I wasn't rolling my eyes at you, Bond -- I was thinking of how the Borg were supposed to be completely new in "I, Borg." [Wink]

--------------------

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

"Q Who?", MM. And everything since was contrary to their stated m.o. in said episode.

--Jonah

--------------------

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps