Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Constitution-Class Development Patch (Page 6)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Constitution-Class Development Patch
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:
"Dagger of the Mind".

Yes, TAS muddies things a bit, with most episodes scattered throughout the series, one big block of them crammed in between "Day of the Dove" and "The Tholian Web", and only four being tacked on at the end. And I have a problem with those four, too. Without them, "All Our Yesterdays" is pegged at stardate 5943.7 -- or just about halfway through the last month of the last year of the five-year mission, if that scheme is used. "How Sharper Than A Serpent's Tooth", "The Pirates of Orion", "The Counter-Clock Incident", and "Bem" all take place well after, with "Bem" ocurring at stardate 7403.6...

And a final thought... If "Charlie X" takes place fifteen and one-third months into the Enterprise's mission, and that's Thanksgiving, then the mission started (either with Kirk taking command or with the ship leaving dock) around mid-August of the previous year.

--Jonah

Ohhh so that's nice it makes roughly August 2270 the end? August 2265 the "start"? So for the Patch - 2265-2270 for that 5-year mission.

What does that place "The Cage" at? Presuming Pike had blocks of '5 year missions'... then we might be able to place how long the Enterprise was in dock between Pike and Kirk?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I LOVE THEM!

I like Middy's wording too.

And should the note have a shadow like the patch?

Very cool.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Middy Seafort:
Reverend,

I've really enjoyed all of your designs, especially related to the TOS-era of Star Trek. I like the note from Chris Pike. However, might I make one suggestion. It might look better if written out like this:

Jim,

Take good care of her.

C.P.

(As if it were a short note left behind by Chris Pike on the desk in the Captain's Cabin wishing Jim Kirk well.)

That it is.
Maybe the bad grammer is a subtle stab on Pike's part for Kirk's "To boldly go.." misquote. [Wink]

quote:
And if it is a museum piece, how 'bout it was donated by Peter Kirk, nephew of Jim and son of George"Sam" Kirk, Jr. As if, he had found both the patch and the note in some of his uncle's belongings after his supposed death on the Enterprise-B.
I just made up the Jr. part since I figure the donator was/is/will be a decendant of Jim's nephew Peter. Possibly his son or even one of his brothers (isn't Sam supposed to have had 3 kids altogether?).

In my mind, whoever George Jr. is, he found the note many years after Kirk's apparant death.
It had been used as a bookmark and left in his apartment in San Francisco.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well... George Samuel Kirk, Jr. (aka "Sam") was James Tiberius Kirk's brother -- who, along with his wife, was killed by the neural parasites. He is survived by his son (James' nephew), Peter Kirk.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I know that.

I conjectured that Peter (once he was all grown up of course) named one of his children after his deceased father and/or one of his children's children were lumbered with the name George.
Or one of Peter's siblings was named after their mutual father.
OR one of their descendants was named after Jim's deceased brother.

Either way it was never meant to be Kirk's brother, I thought the Jr. part would make that apparent.
Apparently not [Wink]

--------------------

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
.. since i believe that when he was mentioned, his brother was actually already George Samuel Kirk Jr..you be thinking of George Samuel Kirk III (the third) for a descendant of Kirk's nephew..

not surprisingly, Kirk's family tree is a messy continuity situation..trolling my fandom sources, we know that Kirk was born to George Samuel and Winona Kirk, names established in many novels. GR's TMP novelization states that the 'Samuel' was the name of his paternal grandfather. According to Diane Carey's novels. G.S. Kirk Sr was a Commander in starfleet, security division.. he appeared as such in a recent 'Janus Gate' novel as well.. this invalidates the Gold Key comic 'fun page' bio in the early 70s that stated his father was Colonel Benjamin Kirk of some sort of space service.. (of course, since an episode stated the his brother was G.S. Jr, its obvious his name wasnt 'Benjamin')... GS Kirk Sr was lost inexplicably when the ship he was on vanished.. Kirk's mother died in the years between TMP and TWOK according to 'Time for Yesterday'.. this might explain Kirk's time on the farm on those years as depicted in 'Generations' (the book also stated the farm had burned down, but it was intact in 'Ashes of Eden' and several other sources.. possibly a single building burned and left the farmhouse and barn in that book intact.

Peter Kirk was depicted in a WildStorm comic as being a scientist like his father, with a grudge against Kirk that he eventually got over, however another DC story portrayed him as obsessed with his father's death, going insane and stealing a ship to illegally time travel back to 'Operation -- Annihilate!' to try and prevent his fathers death, only to become infected and kill himself in the sun (the story contends it was the grown Peter who died in the sun in the opening of that ep) this story was ridiculous and easily dismissed, especially in light of other stories portraying Kirk living. the novel 'Sarek' portrays him as choosing a Starfleet career, and beating the Kobayashi Maru (he IS a Kirk after all...).. this would loosely fit with the earlier WS story, just not very well

another DC story portrayed Kirk on vacation with his 3 nephews, cant remember much about what happened though.

finally, in the TNG era, one of Kirk's nephews had a granddaughter named Jamie who was a Starfleet ensign assigned to DS9 in the 'Blood and Honor' story written by Mark Lenard. kinda hokey, but not out of the realm of possibility.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
.. since i believe that when he was mentioned, his brother was actually already George Samuel Kirk Jr..you be thinking of George Samuel Kirk III (the third) for a descendant of Kirk's nephew..

not surprisingly, Kirk's family tree is a messy continuity situation..trolling my fandom sources, we know that Kirk was born to George Samuel and Winona Kirk, names established in many novels. GR's TMP novelization states that the 'Samuel' was the name of his paternal grandfather. According to Diane Carey's novels. G.S. Kirk Sr was a Commander in starfleet, security division.. he appeared as such in a recent 'Janus Gate' novel as well.. this invalidates the Gold Key comic 'fun page' bio in the early 70s that stated his father was Colonel Benjamin Kirk of some sort of space service.. (of course, since an episode stated the his brother was G.S. Jr, its obvious his name wasnt 'Benjamin')... GS Kirk Sr was lost inexplicably when the ship he was on vanished.. Kirk's mother died in the years between TMP and TWOK according to 'Time for Yesterday'.. this might explain Kirk's time on the farm on those years as depicted in 'Generations' (the book also stated the farm had burned down, but it was intact in 'Ashes of Eden' and several other sources.. possibly a single building burned and left the farmhouse and barn in that book intact.

Peter Kirk was depicted in a WildStorm comic as being a scientist like his father, with a grudge against Kirk that he eventually got over, however another DC story portrayed him as obsessed with his father's death, going insane and stealing a ship to illegally time travel back to 'Operation -- Annihilate!' to try and prevent his fathers death, only to become infected and kill himself in the sun (the story contends it was the grown Peter who died in the sun in the opening of that ep) this story was ridiculous and easily dismissed, especially in light of other stories portraying Kirk living. the novel 'Sarek' portrays him as choosing a Starfleet career, and beating the Kobayashi Maru (he IS a Kirk after all...).. this would loosely fit with the earlier WS story, just not very well

another DC story portrayed Kirk on vacation with his 3 nephews, cant remember much about what happened though.

finally, in the TNG era, one of Kirk's nephews had a granddaughter named Jamie who was a Starfleet ensign assigned to DS9 in the 'Blood and Honor' story written by Mark Lenard. kinda hokey, but not out of the realm of possibility.

Now that I didn't know.

Maybe I'll just change the name to something completely different and avoid the confusion.

BTW, the fact that Jim's Brother is a Jr. isn't stated in the Encyclopedia, so where did this reference come from?

--------------------

Middy Seafort
Member # 951

- posted      Profile for Middy Seafort     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

finally, in the TNG era, one of Kirk's nephews had a granddaughter named Jamie who was a Starfleet ensign assigned to DS9 in the 'Blood and Honor' story written by Mark Lenard. kinda hokey, but not out of the realm of possibility. [/QB]

I have all the aforementioned issues. The one regarding Kirk's 3 nephews, after all it is mentioned in "What Little Girls are Made Of" that GSK, Jr. had three sons, is nothing more than a camping trip gone aray. The Orion's show up and cause much mayhem. It is Jason Kirk,the middle son, and not Peter in this tale that ends up in Starfleet.
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps