Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Constitution-Class Development Patch (Page 5)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Constitution-Class Development Patch
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Andrew -- the stardates were originally supposed to be months and days into the mission, but that unfortunately got scrubbed fairly early due to airing order being out of sync with stardate order. So Gene concocted some half-assed attempt to rationalize that it was variable dependant on the ship's positionin the galaxy, local temporal distortions, and crap like that.

It also means that if one goes in stardate order, the animated episode "The Magicks of Megas-Tu" predates "Where No Man Has Gone Before". *chuckle* However, it also has Chekov appear on the bridge prior to "Space Seed"...

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apart from the uniform problem - I don't mind that Magicks comes before WNMHGB. The Chekov thing would make Kahn's comments more in-line.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For 'Space Seed' to make sense, Chekov need not have been assigned to bridge duty at the time. He could've been elsewhere on the ship and have interfered with Khan at some point we didn't see and that's why Khan 'remembers' him.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, what are the big problems of using stardate order? For TOS alone, there are some oddities and minor overlap, but IIRC no continuity boo-boos. Mixing with TAS, we have to deal with the now-you-see-em, now-you-don't Chekov, Rand, Arex and M'Ress, but we could always plead "night shift". Nobody ever said Chekov or Rand left the ship, really.

Is there anything blatant, like Spock and McCoy openly discussing Pon Farr before the stardate of "Amok Time"?

Using stardates on the patch would IMHO be a nice touch of scifi on an otherwise real-worldish item. It's small things like this that make for good scifi universes.

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So what do you think of the idea - of just leaving the Date? And no calif etc. More a mission patch than a mission AND commencement patch.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are some basic problems in mixing TAS and TOS.. TAS had different uniforms, different consoles and some new gizmos like personal forcefields (which I'd like to explain away as being purely experimental, i.e. 'field-testing' the technology. And somehow, it was never implemented fleet-wide).

I'd rather just keep TAS Season One and Season Two (which was only 6 episodes or so) as depicting the last year of the mission. Ordered by production date, like TOS should be.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SoundEffect:
For 'Space Seed' to make sense, Chekov need not have been assigned to bridge duty at the time. He could've been elsewhere on the ship and have interfered with Khan at some point we didn't see and that's why Khan 'remembers' him.

Checkov just would'nt get OUT of the public bathroom and Kahn really had to go....!
It's enough to make you want to put a worm into someone's brain. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
For TOS alone, there are some oddities and minor overlap, but IIRC no continuity boo-boos.
I'm not sure if you'd count this as a continuity problem or just a minor overlap, but if stardates are at all accurate in TOS then we do have an instance of an episode taking place in the middle of Kirk and company's weeklong quarantine in "Miri." I don't recall which, off the top of my head.
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Dagger of the Mind".

Yes, TAS muddies things a bit, with most episodes scattered throughout the series, one big block of them crammed in between "Day of the Dove" and "The Tholian Web", and only four being tacked on at the end. And I have a problem with those four, too. Without them, "All Our Yesterdays" is pegged at stardate 5943.7 -- or just about halfway through the last month of the last year of the five-year mission, if that scheme is used. "How Sharper Than A Serpent's Tooth", "The Pirates of Orion", "The Counter-Clock Incident", and "Bem" all take place well after, with "Bem" ocurring at stardate 7403.6...

And a final thought... If "Charlie X" takes place fifteen and one-third months into the Enterprise's mission, and that's Thanksgiving, then the mission started (either with Kirk taking command or with the ship leaving dock) around mid-August of the previous year.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey! Why the heck do these art threads always veer off into tech discussions????
To get back on track, I'm posting my variation of Rev's Connie development patch. Since all the other development patches in the Starfleet Museum are triangular, I hope, Rev, that you could modify your patch to something like this for me.
 -

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In case anyone's wondering about Rev's silence the past coupla days, he just mentioned in an email that his ISP is currently blocked from the Forums. Presumably CC is sorting it out.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm gone for just under a week and you smurfs start a tech disscussion in an art & creativity thread...well at least you've seam to have lost interest in 23rd century bogs. [Wink]

Any, here's a triangle with knobs on but no damn spikes! [Razz]

-

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Masao:
This patch is getting pretty type-heavy. If this patch commemorates Kirk's 5-year mission, you can probably leave off "San Francisco" and "Constitution class" (even if you leave on "Calif" isn"t needed or could be shortened to "CA"). Also, perhapsthe mission info could be more prominent, maybe by reducing the detail on the schematic and putting the type over the ship? Because Fed cruisers have such such long nacelles, you might consider enlarging the schematic and cropping of the ends of the nacelles.

Ok, consider the white text history.
 -
For everyone except Masao (coz he's already seen it) I included little note because I always like to approach these patches and logos as Museum pieces if possible, I feel it gives the artwork a more realistic feel.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to be the monkey wrench, but personally I think I liked the nose down version more. I mean, not that it matters. Just so you know you were not completely alone in your original impulse.
Middy Seafort
Member # 951

- posted      Profile for Middy Seafort     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reverend,

I've really enjoyed all of your designs, especially related to the TOS-era of Star Trek. I like the note from Chris Pike. However, might I make one suggestion. It might look better if written out like this:

Jim,

Take good care of her.

C.P.

(As if it were a short note left behind by Chris Pike on the desk in the Captain's Cabin wishing Jim Kirk well.)

And if it is a museum piece, how 'bout it was donated by Peter Kirk, nephew of Jim and son of George"Sam" Kirk, Jr. As if, he had found both the patch and the note in some of his uncle's belongings after his supposed death on the Enterprise-B.

[ May 13, 2003, 10:57 AM: Message edited by: Middy Seafort ]

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps