Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Constitution-Class Development Patch (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Constitution-Class Development Patch
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been meaning to do this one for a while, but I've only just come to the stage where I can draw an ortho like this and get away with it.

Constitution_patch.gif

I'm actually quite proud of this one! [Smile]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Sweet merciful *!@!! !

That's brilliant! How long did it take you to do THAT!?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ow, and one nitpick [Smile]

The font on the nacelle is very wrong. It's that annoying SFTM font. You should use AmarilloUSAF, or even better, Captain Mike's Fleet Old School.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
true dat..

the eurostile-ish TM font that Franz Joseph used is probably only appropo on ships that were painted after 2265 ad before 2272.. since we know that the 1701 was painted in the Fleet Old School that ad been used since ENT and that after TMP they started using SF bold and SF bold Ext.. (this makes the FJ prints technically right for his ship.. if they were detailed in the years after Kirks FYM began but before TMP there is nothing to disprove thats the font the fleet used)

however, using that font for the border does look doable...

i really like the perspective and he gradations on the ship too.. pretty nifty

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still: awesome!

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
That's brilliant! How long did it take you to do THAT!?
The Ortho took me about five hours solid, the rest about an hour and a half.
Some of it was "off the shelf" stuff though. (that moon for example is Mimas not Luna)

I used "MicrogrammaDMedExt" on purpose since that's what FJ used on his blueprints, sincee
this is after all the Constitution and not the Enterprise.
But if you really want to get into a debate about cannon then remember that this is also just a logo and would have been drafted before "The Big C" was completed, so it wouldn't necessarily reflect the exact appearance of the actual NCC-1700.

--------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

True.

But somehow that font always leaves me with the bad taste of fandom's creme de la crap schematics.

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very kewel!

You give any thought to having these made up as actual patches? Wish I was still in Korea, 'cause I could take stuff like this downtown and have several dozen done up for cheap, man.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It rocks, Rev!
One thing though: should'nt the depicted version be of the "pilot version" with the antenna things sticking out from the bussard collectors?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

quote:
True.

But somehow that font always leaves me with the bad taste of fandom's creme de la crap schematics.

Well you know just how much attention I pay to the old fandom stuff, so in this case ignorance is bliss. [Wink]

quote:
Very kewel!

You give any thought to having these made up as actual patches? Wish I was still in Korea, 'cause I could take stuff like this downtown and have several dozen done up for cheap, man.

There is a website that makes up this kind of thing (usually mugs and t-shirts) for anyone who wants it, although personally I wouldn't be interested in owning one, although I'm sure others would.

quote:
It rocks, Rev!
One thing though: should'nt the depicted version be of the "pilot version" with the antenna things sticking out from the bussard collectors?

Once more - it's the Constitution, not the Enterprise and the Constitution's blueprints didn't include Bussard spikes.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:

Once more - it's the Constitution, not the Enterprise and the Constitution's blueprints didn't include Bussard spikes. [/QB]

I thought all Connies of that era would have the bussard spikes and that the series version of the Enterprise was just the first of many refits.
You think the Enterprise was the only ship with this feature? Even the Deadalus has the spikes.
Possible I guess....look at the Venture.
Still...the blueprints were made after the show ended and may not be correct (there are dozens of bad blueprints out there).
Does the blueprint you have use the nacelle vent end caps or the series version.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is truly beautiful, Rev. [Eek!] [Smile]

How 'bout a nice Connie or two to go with it? [Razz]
(BTW did I ever get these to you? These may be a bit better than the ones I initially sent.)

Jason:
Personally, I've never really bought the fandom view that FJ's prints represent a "fifth-year" refit of the design. I've always thought of them as showing the original configuration of the prototype, and the other versions (see here) came later. (Or were also contemporaries. Wet navies today ofen have variations in design among the initial batches of vessel classes built, IIRC.)

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's great, Rev. I'm actually working on a Connie article for the Starfleet Museum and need to make a Connie development patch.

A few nits:
1. I agree that you should have the pilot version. The notion that Constitution herself would have no spikes and the new bridge 20 years before Enterprise doesn't make sense.
2. The lower disc mound looks a bit funky, especially at the left. You also have that bright underside of the disc edge over there contrasting with the very dark mound. The bright part of the mound also disappears against the front edge of the disc.
3. Should a development patch be hexagonal?
4. The most important text ("Connie class development project") is the smallest on the patch. Did you try spreading that across the top three sides?

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn good!! [Big Grin]

One little thing that really applies to all of these development patches; if they're supposed to be a development project, how come they have a picture of the final design on? Surely development project means the design is still being developed?

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wraith:
Damn good!! [Big Grin]

One little thing that really applies to all of these development patches; if they're supposed to be a development project, how come they have a picture of the final design on? Surely development project means the design is still being developed?

Perhaps they are designed afterwards, so the designers can sew it to their jackets in a kind of "look at me - I designed the Constitution's toilets" type gesture. [Smile]
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps